INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That's an excellent point.... I use water that has been run through my Brita (I also use that in the water kettle for coffee and tea). I drink the tap water, tastes fine, but is very hard water, and Brita helps some. (And also good for the sourdough...)

@Sally Sunshine I just finished baking for the night - I pulled the starter out of the fridge this morning at 5am when I got up, fed it, and it was ready to go at 11am, so I made the dough, let it sit and rise in a bowl until about 7 pm. Then fold, put into ball, and raise in a parchment lined bowl the same size and the dutch oven that I'm using. I turned the oven on to 450F with the dutch oven in it, and let it heat for an hour while letting the bread ball do a second rise covered. Then used parchment paper as a sling to get the bread into the hot dutch oven (I burn myself without it), cover, bake about 30 minutes, then check the temp. Usually it needs another 6 or 7 minutes (see temps below). Second check was good. You have to let it totally cool for at least an hour or two - it can actually get gummy and yucky if you try to cut into it too early as well. (Moisture has to distribute properly). Like resting a roast or a chicken.

I took some photos for you tonight:

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
That's an excellent point.... I use water that has been run through my Brita (I also use that in the water kettle for coffee and tea). I drink the tap water, tastes fine, but is very hard water, and Brita helps some. (And also good for the sourdough...)

@Sally Sunshine I just finished baking for the night - I pulled the starter out of the fridge this morning at 5am when I got up, fed it, and it was ready to go at 11am, so I made the dough, let it sit and rise in a bowl until about 7 pm. Then fold, put into ball, and raise in a parchment lined bowl the same size and the dutch oven that I'm using. I turned the oven on to 450F with the dutch oven in it, and let it heat for an hour while letting the bread ball do a second rise covered. Then used parchment paper as a sling to get the bread into the hot dutch oven (I burn myself without it), cover, bake about 30 minutes, then check the temp. Usually it needs another 6 or 7 minutes (see temps below). Second check was good. You have to let it totally cool for at least an hour or two - it can actually get gummy and yucky if you try to cut into it too early as well. (Moisture has to distribute properly). Like resting a roast or a chicken.

- Ant Farm
That is great!

I made one like this a while back:

That sound good. Mine had a donut shop good stuff there back in the day. Long hard hours in that shop.
Mmm, miss real deep fried donuts, my mom used to make them a lot when we were kids. Then someone bought her a four donut non-stick maker thingy, like a waffle maker for donuts, not the same...Grandma used to make all us grandkids funnel cake couple times a yr at least.
No real donut places around here, even tasty creme and dunkin donuts is frozen and thawed....not the same as fresh fried...

Wood fired might be cheap to run but here you would have to call burn control to make sure it was a burn day.

We have some times during the yr, no burn cause it's dry, I think home wood fires are exempt...but then again most people don't run wood stoves during hot and dry...hmmm... Ahh! but some do run outside wood boilers all yr round for hot water, must be legal. His chimney coming out of it are a pair, of triple wall stainless two stories high, with a metal roof, probably no worry of fire.
I have no clue.
Gremlins!
I thought it odd, never read any of your posts with a random sentence/no quote, even if it did make sense.

Mmm, miss real deep fried donuts, my mom used to make them a lot when we were kids. Then someone bought her a four donut non-stick maker thingy, like a waffle maker for donuts, not the same...Grandma used to make all us grandkids funnel cake couple times a yr at least.
No real donut places around here, even tasty creme and dunkin donuts is frozen and thawed....not the same as fresh fried...

We have some times during the yr, no burn cause it's dry, I think home wood fires are exempt...but then again most people don't run wood stoves during hot and dry...hmmm... Ahh! but some do run outside wood boilers all yr round for hot water, must be legal. His chimney coming out of it are a pair, of triple wall stainless two stories high, with a metal roof, probably no worry of fire.
Gremlins!
I thought it odd, never read any of your posts with a random sentence/no quote, even if it did make sense.

Yes real dough. 3:00am to start. Just the dough was delicious.

Smoke is the issue here as well as fire safety. Air pollution control board doesn't allow burning on certain days

If fact we used to have circulating pumps for the hot water in the homes we build but air pollution board banned them because it ran the natural gas water heater more than normal. Even though it saved water they overruled that and didn't allow them to be installed anymore. I guarantee you the homeowner that has a gas lawnmower and uses it once will do more pollution than that water heater will.

That is great!

I made one like this a while back:

Wow - looks great - and light!!! What do you bake in? What temp? I use a LeCreuset Doufeu (because it has no knob), and I get that browning with the lid ON... Sometimes too much...

- Ant Farm

(Edit to add: It might be that you use different flour, too - I use 11oz King Arthur bread flour, 5 oz white whole wheat...)

Last edited:
What is it? Looks like swiss cheese bread, maybe like a english muffin bread? I want a slice hot with melted butter!!!
It is King Arthur Flour extra tangy sourdough bread made in a porcelain cast iron oven--cooked at 500 degrees.

This:

Extra-Tangy Sourdough Bread
92-2-medium.jpg

At a Glance

Prep
15 mins. to 20 mins.
Bake
30 mins.
Total
23 hrs 45 mins. to 23 hrs 50 mins.
Yield
2 loaves
Overnight

This bread, with its mellow tang, is perfect for those who like their sourdough bread noticeably sour, but not mouth-puckeringly so. For extra-sour flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon sour salt (citric acid).

Directions

1. Combine the starter, water, and 3 cups of the flour. Beat vigorously for 1 minute.
  2. Cover, and let rest at room temperature for 4 hours. Refrigerate overnight, for about 12 hours.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients: 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, and sour salt, if you're using it. Knead to form a smooth dough.
  4. Allow the dough to rise in a covered bowl until it's relaxed, smoothed out, and risen. Depending on the vigor of your starter, it may become REALLY puffy, as pictured; or it may just rise a bit. This can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours. Understand this: sourdough bread (especially sourdough without added yeast) is as much art as science; everyone's timetable will be different. So please allow yourself to go with the flow, and not treat this as an exact, to-the-minute process.
  5. Gently divide the dough in half.
  6. Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves, and place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise until very puffy, about 2 to 4 hours. Don't worry if the loaves spread more than they rise; they'll pick up once they hit the oven's heat. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
  7. Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.
  8. Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
  9. Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Tips from our bakers

• For a tasty loaf using commercial yeast (for faster rising), check out our recipe for Rustic Sourdough Bread.
  • What makes the sour in sourdough bread? It's a combination of lactic and acetic acids, created as the dough rises and ferments. Refrigerating the dough encourages the production of more acetic than lactic acid; and acetic acid is much the tangier of the two. Thus, sourdough that's refrigerated before baking will have a more assertive sour flavor.
  • Adding citric acid gives your bread an extra hit of "sour;" but don't be tempted to go beyond about 5/8 teaspoon in this recipe. A good rule of thumb for ultimate sourness, without too much deterioration of the crust and bread's structure, is 1/8 teaspoon sour salt for each cup of flour used.
  • Depending on the thickness of your sourdough, you may need to add additional water or flour during the kneading stage. Your goal is a soft, elastic (but not sticky) dough.

- Ant Farm

Never saw anyone use a thermometer on bread before Lol! At least you knew it was done! Beautiful! I love a good hearty crusty bread. Mother-in-law complains, thinks her husband works his sour rye too much, 'makes it tough'...That's what I love!! about it! I don't like soft bread.
When I bring sandwiches to work, any sandwich, always toasted, have had people at work notice and ask if that's all I eat is toasted bread sandwiches.... DW only buys cheap white bread...only way I can eat it...mush bread...

Quote:
At a Glance

Prep
15 mins. to 20 mins.
Bake
30 mins.
Total
23 hrs 45 mins. to 23 hrs 50 mins.
Yield
2 loaves
Overnight

This bread, with its mellow tang, is perfect for those who like their sourdough bread noticeably sour, but not mouth-puckeringly so. For extra-sour flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon sour salt (citric acid).

Directions

1. Combine the starter, water, and 3 cups of the flour. Beat vigorously for 1 minute.
  2. Cover, and let rest at room temperature for 4 hours. Refrigerate overnight, for about 12 hours.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients: 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, and sour salt, if you're using it. Knead to form a smooth dough.
  4. Allow the dough to rise in a covered bowl until it's relaxed, smoothed out, and risen. Depending on the vigor of your starter, it may become REALLY puffy, as pictured; or it may just rise a bit. This can take anywhere from 2 to 5 hours. Understand this: sourdough bread (especially sourdough without added yeast) is as much art as science; everyone's timetable will be different. So please allow yourself to go with the flow, and not treat this as an exact, to-the-minute process.
  5. Gently divide the dough in half.
  6. Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves, and place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with lightly greased plastic wrap and let rise until very puffy, about 2 to 4 hours. Don't worry if the loaves spread more than they rise; they'll pick up once they hit the oven's heat. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
  7. Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.
  8. Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
  9. Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Tips from our bakers

• For a tasty loaf using commercial yeast (for faster rising), check out our recipe for Rustic Sourdough Bread.
  • What makes the sour in sourdough bread? It's a combination of lactic and acetic acids, created as the dough rises and ferments. Refrigerating the dough encourages the production of more acetic than lactic acid; and acetic acid is much the tangier of the two. Thus, sourdough that's refrigerated before baking will have a more assertive sour flavor.
  • Adding citric acid gives your bread an extra hit of "sour;" but don't be tempted to go beyond about 5/8 teaspoon in this recipe. A good rule of thumb for ultimate sourness, without too much deterioration of the crust and bread's structure, is 1/8 teaspoon sour salt for each cup of flour used.
  • Depending on the thickness of your sourdough, you may need to add additional water or flour during the kneading stage. Your goal is a soft, elastic (but not sticky) dough.

Wow - that uses a lot of sourdough!!!!! Imma gonna try that!!!

- Ant Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom