INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a Fluke thermometer ok instead? I have one of those.

Alright, so I made a pip in all of them except the one that didn't look developed. Nothing seemed alive, and two stank. I didn't want to see the poor dead chicks, so I had my dad open them up for me, and none were alive. According to him, the one that didn't look developed looked infertile. The two that stank had nothing distinguishable, just "slush." The other three were developed but had not absorbed the yolk sacs. There was fluid in them, so I'm thinking they may have drowned.
Anyways, so now I'm deciding whether I want to order chicks or hatch more (I need eight to replace the eight I lost.) Hatching is fun, but I don't want a bunch of roos ......

Is fumigating the best way to clean a LG styrofoam bator?
I am so sorry!

The thermometer for incubation needs to be sensitive to temperature fluctuations and be accurate in the lowest plus or minus range possible. If the thermometer does not read in tenths, you do not want to use it! It other words, you want it to be able to read 99.5, not 98, 99, or 100.

I doubt that the fluke thermometer would work. the Brinsea spot check was made to do one thing, tell temps for incubation.

I am sorry about the bad hatch! Unless your humidity was below 25 or above 60, It was not the cause.

I clean my incubators with Lysol all purpose cleaner.

The whole wheat you use might have natural sugars in it which may cause it to brown. Just thinking.
Yes! and the longer it raises, the more sugar that is made from the enzymes breaking down the flour. If you make cookie dough and leave it in the fridge over night, the enzymes will break down the flour in the dough and make the cookies taste very good.

The spray?
Yes, I get the Debris out and then spray it with the cleaner. I then take it to the shower and clean it out with a brush. The Styrofoam incubators have holes in the bottom so make sure that they are clear--air flow is very important!

Yes, I get the Debris out and then spray it with the cleaner. I then take it to the shower and clean it out with a brush. The Styrofoam incubators have holes in the bottom so make sure that they are clear--air flow is very important!

Thanks ron!

Yes! and the longer it raises, the more sugar that is made from the enzymes breaking down the flour. If you make cookie dough and leave it in the fridge over night, the enzymes will break down the flour in the dough and make the cookies taste very good.

Cookie dough may not make it over night here! But that's interesting I'll have to try that next time.

Guess it would have to be to good friends. Not sure of the rules here either
I am starting to dry her up. She is too thin. I am going to treat for coccidia.
My other doe does not give as much, but her milk is excellent and not goaty at all. I am going to milk her till September I think, and then let her dry up for breeding.

I am starting to dry her up. She is too thin. I am going to treat for coccidia.
My other doe does not give as much, but her milk is excellent and not goaty at all. I am going to milk her till September I think, and then let her dry up for breeding.

You have a lot going on there. I've thought about goats as you know but the chickens keep me plenty busy. Maybe if I get to retire here at this place I could have some. I am acquiring the fencing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom