INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, pe-op-les
frow.gif

DH2B and I have been joking about the idea of bbqing the fox that has taken nearly a dozen of our flock since he stole our lf slw roo who was heading for the freezer and robbed us if trying our first bird. But I rather like the idea of feeding it to the flock instead lol
Yes! Revenge of the chicken!
lau.gif

Speaking of spurs. These are on a hen. She was the last one to go on the burn pile.

Aside from what others have told you, all of which I agree with, basically they can eat things you SHOULD eat. That would be meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc..
You shouldn't eat sugary, salty things and neither should they.

I also saw someone mention cutting grapes first. You should probably chop most fruits, vegetables and meats before serving them.

Chickens will usually avoid things that aren't good for them but not always. I've seen mine eat pokeweed berries, which are toxic but I figure the amount they consume compared to the rest of the diet is insignificant. They've never shown any signs of a problem.

Mine eat predators after I grill them.

X2

Very

I grill them first but yeah they've eaten a lot of them. You know what they say about payback. I've yet to make one but a coonskin cap is on the agenda.

Is it avocados or just the peel? I had avocados last night with some delicious turkey tacos.

Your place always looks so nice.
I think I have to pick the place up a bit.
I guess you don't have weasels or mink - yet.

I know these are champs but can and do you eat birds this size?
I would think it would be hard to gut them.

You'll have to clean any that are completely covered or they won't breathe. If a third or less albumen is on them they're probably OK.

I sure do. Is there a trap inside like a rat trap or conibear body trap?
I'm going to make a couple. I've used 4" PVC with a conibear at each end but to no avail. I'm going to get some feeder mice for bait and put them in a cricket cage in the trap.
Any other ideas?

I put a game cam in the coop last night and no mink, just a mouse. I was hoping to catch it's entry point.
I bought those 6 cameras I found on craigslist. They didn't come with SD cards. It was too late by the time I picked them up to buy some. Hopefully I can get some today. I'll put a camera on each trap and each building.

How can that be?
I read these kind of statements all the time.
If I let my guard down a second, I lose birds.
I was walking out at dusk to lock up a few years ago and it was like a superhighway of raccoons coming down out of the trees and onto the coop roof. I got there just in time.
I was keeping a rooster in a large dog cage for a couple days on my back porch while he was recovering from frostbite . I set him out on the patio right outside my back door cause the weather was pretty nice. I went out to get him just after dark and he had already been pulled through the bars.

X2
I have a large animal catch net and a net like you describe as well as a leg hook. I made my first leg hook but then broke down and got a real one.

The flies rob me of eating my birds. After the predators kill them, I'm tempted to get some meat off of them because the mink don't eat anything. But by morning the flies have laid eggs all over them.

Process them when you can't put up with the crowing and fighting any more. Depending on the breed and their size, about 16-22 weeks.
You need to have a coonskin cap! It's a very comfortable way of getting revenge on what eats your chickens! I'm hoping (if I can catch it) a foxskin cap will be equally comfortable; but, I say, I may look a little funny with that long tail at the end of the hat!
gig.gif

Bye, everyone! I have to be busy today!

They looked perfect! This would be my first time hatching eggs not using a broody hen at all, even though I have two broodies that I might use to help raise the chicks. The chick that I hatched before was incubated under a broody until day 18 when I realized that the two top hens might attack the chick.
Good Luck!
fl.gif

I wish this video would have not gotten screwed up!! Sister Brotherly Love

Oh momma wants some lovin too? lol attack of the lap goats!!!

Awwwwww
love.gif

Quote:
I wondered if you were self taught.

Baby waited for me...literally busted out when I got here...I can finally breathe!

Congratulations! Nice of her to wait for you.

Okay so here's my questions. What's up? What did I miss? Did runt lose more birds? Did he get corid?

Is that purple duck real or dyed? Where can I get one?

We picked up 64 hatching eggs from a new friend on Saturday and set them last night. So worth the hour drive there and back. We had a blast! I saw my first seramas(although I think they were a bit bigger that seramas normally are) @ Sally aren't the bigger ones C class?
I saw my first frizzles much cooler than I thought and cuter than I thought but I'm still not sure I would want them. I saw my first Sebastopol geese also cool but I didn't get too close. And they hand English shepherds! Awesome dogs! I told her she could move her whole operation to our house lol.

So we came home with 64 eggs like I mentioned and two young pullets. A buff Brahma and and blue silkie mix both sweet as sugar. I'm in love! Sally your Brahmas are on my want list now too. The more Brahmas we meet/get the more I like them. We now have two lights and a buff.

The eggs we got include silkie eggs for fun and to try to replace our lossed birds(mutters stupid fox and expletives under breath) from her mixed silkie flock which has been producing blues buffs partridge splash grey a few white black and porcelain. Super exited about these. I swear she also had a couple young chocolate silkie pullets which were beautiful and I would love one of those but I think she said they weren't laying yet.
There is also the possibility of some porcelain d'uccle eggs in the cartons with the silkie eggs as she also had a few of them. Although separate from the silkies. Her porcelain d'uccle roo seems to be some kind of silkie mix while her hens are pure. They're darling and the little roo was so comical with his silkie feathers. Despite his silkie feathering he seemed to be very much more d'uccle than silkie.

We also got lavender and black split American Orpington eggs. We love our orps and I'm super excited about them. Of every picture I've seen from people raising lavenders I think her stock had the least lemon(right?) leakage but one hen had pretty bad toes. We will keep an eye out for that of course.

Now for our resident genetics experts please....
The last eggs we got were silver pencilled rocks and mixed silver pencilled rock rooster over partridge hens. What will these chicks look like? If her and my knowledge of genetics is right and I used the chicken calculator correctly then the cockeral chicks from the mix should be sex linked and the pullets should be homozygous for the silver?

Silver pencilled rocks are something I've admired for quite a while so I can't wait to see them!!!!

Can you all tell I'm excited?
wink.png
Glad you had a great time. Good luck!

Yes! Revenge of the chicken!
lau.gif

You need to have a coonskin cap! It's a very comfortable way of getting revenge on what eats your chickens! I'm hoping (if I can catch it) a foxskin cap will be equally comfortable; but, I say, I may look a little funny with that long tail at the end of the hat!
gig.gif

Bye, everyone! I have to be busy today!
Morning.........Toodles

YOU SHOULD give them hot peppers! I always add extrim hot paprika in their feed! It is one of the grate preventer ( not cureing) of worms and other Pathogens. The active ingredient, Capsaicin, is one of the most potent substance out there! GIVE HOT PEPPERS TO YOUR CHICKEN ON A DAILY BASIS!

Interesting!

I thought that fell in the same category as grass being a natural dewormer for your chickens.... :gig

DH2B and I have been joking about the idea of bbqing the fox that has taken nearly a dozen of our flock since he stole our lf slw roo who was heading for the freezer and robbed us if trying our first bird. But I rather like the idea of feeding it to the flock instead lol
Oh no problem, Dear, Glory and I are very close and I'd do anything for her. Oh shoot lol I should have known what boss was lol. I always just say it so I never think about it until someone mentions it. Do you find them hulled or will they break up and be properly digested by the birds when fed in shell? I can't decide.
Sally would you please adopt me ;) lol love all these products and your house. Adorable! Hope you don't mind if I borrow some of these ideas?
Addicted. Me? Noooo I'm just very good at math ;P

Lol it's true I don't think we'll make my 40 bird limit by fall we'll be lucky if we manage to be under 50 but that's really not so terrible I don't think. Especially since some of the birds are temporary for a breeding program and or up for adoption/rehoming/sale. We have two people coming next week for a total of 20 or so chicks and birds leaving. We have multiple cockerals getting closer to their freezer camp day.

Speaking of when does everyone suggest processing heritage breed cockerals?????

We have some white rocks, a cuckoo Marans, and some mixes and EE approaching 13-14 weeks.
Beautiful pictures! What breed silver appleyards?
MC how many are you doing? Is this your first time? How old are they? Good luck

Welsh harlequins.

Good morning, pe-op-les  :frow

Mornin!! :frow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom