INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, cat's, dogs. It's so hard to know just how bad they are for a bit. Again, so sorry dax.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I did not know that.

In pre-Columbian times, raccoons primarily were found in river bottoms of what is now the Southeast US. There is fossil evidence they existed in the great plains about a million years ago. But there is no record of raccoons encountered by pioneers in northern, Midwestern or western regions. Their spread across the continent started around the middle of the 19th century. Urbanization, agriculture and extermination of other predators helped.
They've been introduced in Japan, Germany and the Caucuses. They're now causing damage in Italy, France and Spain.
Now they range from the Panama canal to Vancouver, across the southern tier of Canadian provinces and back south to the gulf. Except for high altitude in the Rockies and the most arid parts of the southwest, they range from coast to coast.
Originally posted by Garden Peas

"So here's the scoop on Monday's vet visit.

First, just getting a two week-old peachick safely to the vet (this particular vet happens to be 45+ minutes away from the house) was challenging. These chicks are still brooding with a heat lamp, and are not ready to be running around in cool-ish room temperatures, and definitely not ready for a couple of hours (round trip + wait time + exam time) away from a heat source. Plus it's a peachick, so #5 can already fly a bit.

I rigged up a travel box out of a big plastic box with a lid, a heating pad, a thermometer and a thick, folded towel (to keep the heating pad from burning the chick). I ran the heating pad in the box for an hour or two, trying different settings to see what was warm enough but not too warm, before adding the chick. (You have to give the heating pad a little while to work and steady out before you can really tell what it is going to do!)

Despite all that prep, still had to watch the little guy kinda closely -- the car was hot when we got in, and I didn't want to freeze him out with too much air conditioning, because I couldn't plug the heating pad in and heat him back up in the car (forgot the fancy AC adapter thingy). But he started panting from getting too hot, so we popped up the lid and watched the thermometer to get him to a more comfortable range.

Here he is in his box (this was actually on the way home) -- he was pretty okay with it.

This vet was unclear on surgery for slipped tendon -- she had never heard of it, and wasn't looking to experiment. I think this may have been her first peafowl, and I don't think she has attempted to treat slipped tendons much, if ever. With that said, she obviously has splinted many bird legs in the past, so she was able to improvise something that worked.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to videotape or take pictures as she was building up the splint with layers of tape, but I had to wait to take photos until I got #5 back home. I'll try to describe her technique after the photos.

This first photo is taken from the side of the chick, looking at the leg from the outside:

Here is a closeup of the tape "splint" from approximately the same angle:

Here is the splint from the front showing the thin edge:

The tape "splint" is definitely worth trying though -- much better than anything I have seen so far."
Thanks for posting.

For transporting, I would have wrapped it in a towel to keep itself warm and not flying. Then put it in an enclosed box with air holes. The darkness should keep them calm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom