INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you
jumpy.gif

so there is a hope of hatching marans tomorrow
fl.gif

I have a bunch of different breeds, and most of them will hatch a few on day 20, but the marans always hatch on day 21

Never understood why anyone who's sick would want to go to a building full of sick people. Something inherently wrong with this picture. Sure hope someone figures out what the problem is; being sick for Christmas sucks big time  :(

You made me think of Christmas 1991. Six kids with the flu, and both parents. My parents had to work until Christmas Eve (Salvation Army officers!) so my father got the kettles taken care of, and the sermons written. My mother had to deal with us sickos. We took turns cleaning up each other's vomit.

ok, I am here. My styrofoam homemade incubator has had so many temp swings, low and high, it will be a miracle if I get a chick. I have 18 eggs and am on about day 16, it is not forced air and I was keeping it at 99 with about 55% humidity until I checked in on BYC and found out it should be 101 with 45% humidity. Then I read the dry hatch thread and dropped the humidity down to about 30% by pulling my wet sponge dishes. found the temp at 109 at about 3 am this morning. cracked the cover a bit to release heat. Now i do have sealed jars of water in the cooler to stabilize the temp and reduce temperature swings (idea from my greenhouse which I keep jars of water in, in winter, and a 100 gallon stock tank with great success - heat sinks) so hopefully the egg temp is more stable than the air temp. How do I know if everything has died? I have attempted to candle over the lightbulb and the eggs are very dark, not a clear air bubble, so last night I tore an 18 ct egg carton in half and put them all big side up in it, sloping them and rotating 90 degrees every few hours to try to get the air cell where it should be, humidity is about 38% now. HELP?

Yes I will buy a thermostat and go to a larger lightbulb the next time or I have a plastic cooler that is larger and I can sacrifice to build a better incubator the next time. I am afraid this hatching stuff could be addicting, I have a local source for fertile eggs.

I got these eggs late 6 days ago and put them in incubator. since I got them late I only consider them on day 5. The 5 to the left had 4 clears, and one keeper. the 6 eggs to the right all have veins. This is when I do my count so so far I have 7/7. clears don't count.

Start of day 5.

Well, unless a whole lot if people start posting threads it looks like I am not going to win that automatic coop door for my birthday today
hit.gif

...Anybody want to start a bunch of threads!?!
caf.gif
hahaha! We only need around 1,000 more! It would be fuuuuun!
lau.gif
LOL

Last edited:
ok, I am here. My styrofoam homemade incubator has had so many temp swings, low and high, it will be a miracle if I get a chick. I have 18 eggs and am on about day 16, it is not forced air and I was keeping it at 99 with about 55% humidity until I checked in on BYC and found out it should be 101 with 45% humidity. Then I read the dry hatch thread and dropped the humidity down to about 30% by pulling my wet sponge dishes. found the temp at 109 at about 3 am this morning. cracked the cover a bit to release heat. Now i do have sealed jars of water in the cooler to stabilize the temp and reduce temperature swings (idea from my greenhouse which I keep jars of water in, in winter, and a 100 gallon stock tank with great success - heat sinks) so hopefully the egg temp is more stable than the air temp. How do I know if everything has died? I have attempted to candle over the lightbulb and the eggs are very dark, not a clear air bubble, so last night I tore an 18 ct egg carton in half and put them all big side up in it, sloping them and rotating 90 degrees every few hours to try to get the air cell where it should be, humidity is about 38% now. HELP?

Yes I will buy a thermostat and go to a larger lightbulb the next time or I have a plastic cooler that is larger and I can sacrifice to build a better incubator the next time. I am afraid this hatching stuff could be addicting, I have a local source for fertile eggs.
Hi, Gypsi. Sadly, it sounds like you're having a good run of bad luck. Low temp early on will usually result in a late hatch, so you may okay on that part. It depends on how long the temp was spiked as to whether or not it affected the embryos. What kind of eggs are you cooking? You don't have a candler? Once you reach day 16, and the eggs are viable, the chick is filling a large portion of the egg making it difficult to see inside. Even so, you should be able to detect an air cell on the round end if you get it lit up just right... and by tapping the egg lightly you should see movement inside the egg. You are 2 days out from lockdown, when the eggs will need to be on their sides so the chicks can move into hatching position. In the meantime, you need to get them out of the egg carton because the carton acts like insulation and isn't allowing the heat to distribute evenly around the egg. If you need the egg carton to keep the eggs upright, cut holes in the bottom and sides to allow air to reach as much of the egg as possible. It's too late to try to get the air cell where it needs to be at this time. If it's not there, it's not going to happen. I hope you have some success with this batch. If I may, I'd highly recommend allowing your incubator (this one or new one) to run for several days to make sure it's stable before setting any more eggs. Good luck, and you should know how it turns out in about 5 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom