INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures tomorrow will be fine, and i will see what I can find on wrapping that part of the leg. Regarding pain meds... One on the reasons I chose not to treat with a pain med was that the bird was trod on by my 1300 pound thoroughbred and I was worried about internal bleeding, so didn't want to make matters worse my giving that type of medication. -Kathy
Thank you! Part circled is where I splinted.... I use vetwrap and non-stick gauze pads, as well as antibiotic ointment cause she has a scrape on the side too. I wrapped the vetwrap in between the toes too. Bandage looks rather like this, except thicker, higher up, and with a splint in it.
Something like that could would nicely. Here is something for you to read: https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf -Kathy

@casportpony and any of y'all who can answer:
My neighbor has a hen that received injuries from a dog. She does not have any large flesh or (from what I can tell) internal injuries, but her foot appears to be broken- Swollen around the centre and she will not put any weight on it, instead using her wing to hop around.
I cleaned her up, splinted and wrapped her leg, and made her as comfortable as possible. We'd like to give saving her a try, as she is their favourite hen. She eats and drinks well and does not appear to be in shock which leads me to believe she has a fighting chance.... Anything else I can do for her?
Somewhere in my travels around the internet I saw Aspirin can be used for a pain reliever in chickens. Is this true? If so, what dosage and how is it delivered? Thanks.....
I had to take my Consuela to the chicken vet-xrays showed no break. The dear old doc gave her meloxicam (mobic) for chicks and told me to keep her confined to a dog crate where she had limited range of motion to chill out and heal. She was an easter egger-age unknown. Not sure if you can use aspirin. Hope your baby heals well and soon!!!

I had to take my Consuela to the chicken vet-xrays showed no break. The dear old doc gave her meloxicam (mobic) for chicks and told me to keep her confined to a dog crate where she had limited range of motion to chill out and heal. She was an easter egger-age unknown. Not sure if you can use aspirin. Hope your baby heals well and soon!!!
Danke!

frow.gif
Welcome to the thread!!
Thanks-popped on here when I did my first hatch then life got crazy and I fell off the map. Now I don't freak out every time I see a pip lol. Lots of pretty new chickies thanks to all the good advice I've gotten on here!!!

Thank you!

Part circled is where I splinted.... I use vetwrap and non-stick gauze pads, as well as antibiotic ointment cause she has a scrape on the side too. I wrapped the vetwrap in between the toes too.

Bandage looks rather like this, except thicker, higher up, and with a splint in it.
Man that's a beautiful splint!!! I had to rig one for a splayed leg and it looked nowhere near this good (and I'm a nurse!) I'll splint people all day-wriggly little fragile chicks are a whole different story!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom