INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold 4 of my 6 chicks within hours of putting them online (i wanted to keep 2) around here people really want and buy rhode island production reds, with that being said i seen the potential of making some money! I refuse to use my cooler bator, i want to buy a good one if im going to do it again. What does everyone recommend?

Brinsea is the best storebought brand.

Wow Kat, you're posting good info faster than I can save it!!
bow.gif
Lol, thanks! Record day for ovations, that's for sure! I really enjoy reading all of that stuff just for fun.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Sad tip of the day... If ever you have a bird that walking around acting drunk, and you're pretty sure it's not Marek's, (which it won't be if it's a duck, turkey, goose, peafowl, etc), please do not wait until morning to do something about it.

Was not one of mine, but when I read the post last night I knew in my heart that they would have a dead bird this morning.
hit.gif

-Kathy

I'll let you know! LOL 

Blueberry was producing colostrum, so they assumed she was pregnant. I haven't been able to get close enough to her since we got her to feel for movement. she'd be due next month or in nov if she was, based on their experience with goat herds, but she was just out in a field, so they don't know if she was actually pregnant, or not... they just assumed she was since she was producing colostrum.

She's otherwise healthy, but skinny. I've been feeding her grain/grass to try and get a little weight on her. She has to be lasso'd to be caught, so if she has babies, milking her is going to be a feat of... stubbornness to be the boss and get'er'done. LOL

My kids promised to help once we get our milking stand built - I was planning on bottle feeding her babies after 3-4 days of colostrum, to make sure they are more people friendly. Since we want milking goats long-term, I need to be able to handle them, and wild goats are just too hard to tame if you don't bottlefeed. I can probably get her over time to tolerate being touched for milking, but she doesn't make it easy.
Once you get your milk stand built for a while only feed grain there. Lasso if you have to put her there. Then feed and talk at first later add petting, then handle the udder. Slowly through the process.

Sad tip of the day... If ever you have a bird that walking around acting drunk, and you're pretty sure it's not Marek's, (which it won't be if it's a duck, turkey, goose, peafowl, etc), please do not wait until morning to do something about it. 

Was not one of mine, but when I read the post last night I knew in my heart that they would have a dead bird this morning. :hit

-Kathy
Do what?

Yep. We plan on feeding grain during milking. I'm hoping to get it built in the next few weeks, and then practice putting her in it, and feeding her a cup of grain while touching her udders, to teach her to be okay with it. My hope is daily handling will make her go in there on her own, so I don't have to force her into the stand. But we shall see... some goats learn to cooperate, some never do! LOL
You can just handle the babies while mother is on the stand or in a pen to avoid bottles.

Not that y'all asked, but I'm sharing anyway. It's also gluten free!

Camping's red beans and rice

2 packs andouille sausage (any smoked sausage works)
3 cans of light red kidney beans
1 can of mild rotel

Season to taste (I used six pepper, dehydrated onion flakes, paprika, coarse salt, and parsley). I added two packs of sodium-free chicken bouillon mixed with two cups of water, then added enough water to almost cover everything. Cook on high for 6 hours.

30 minutes before serving I added two cups of dry rice. Served with green salad. :D

I don't usually use the rotel, but it was really good! Mushrooms would be good in it too, or corn and black beans. It wasn't like traditional red beans and rice, but I think I'll make it like this from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom