INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My leghorn layed her first egg! On top on the hay bales
1f602.png

One of the Bantys that runs around the farm I help on laid a whole clutch on top of a hay bale.
That were stacked 3 high, in a pole barn
There were 13
I only saw three that made it the other day. :hit

A desk lamp likely doesn't have a socket with enough heat resistance. It should say the socket or the shade should have the max wattage printed on it.
All the big box stores like Lowe's carry brooder lamp fixtures. They're in the aisle with extension cords.

Here are my Ohio brooders in action. There was snow on the ground outside that uninsulated, unheated building when that was taken.

If you are brooding in a smallish Rubbermaid tub, a heat lamp is not only unnecessary, it is way overkill.
A 75 watt incandescent or halogen in a drop light is more than enough warmth.
Nice set-up.

-Kathy

One of the Bantys that runs around the farm I help on laid a whole clutch on top of a hay bale.
That were stacked 3 high, in a pole barn
There were 13
I only saw three that made it the other day.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
sorry, my "shed" is so small that I keep my hay in that we can only stack it to bales high

I know it's probably still too early over there on the left coast for y'all to be stirring around. Just wondering if your big cat ever gave you an encore, & whether your game cam ever picked up anything. I'd be nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs & probably be sleeping in the barn with a loaded rifle.

New here! Looks like. A fun place to read, learn celebrate victories and lament the failures.
Not just new here but never hatched an egg before 3 weeks ago. So sadly I emptied an incubator this morning some snowflakes and butler bobs that I think I over cooked after a night where I saw 106 degrees on some kind of spike, have 2 styrofoam incubators still air side to side in wife's craft room, both jumped up so I don't know if a spike in elec can do that or what but beside the possibility of a few other minor errors turning 180, not letting delivered eggs sit 24. But I'll except it as learning and press on. Hope it's ok to ask about quail in here.
Welcome! There are many people in this thread who know a lot about hatching. I've never hatched quail before but I'm sure someone here can help
smile.png

My fingers accidentally hit the wrong buttons on this kindle.....
I thought about sleeping in the barn, but I have to realize that these cats are here more than I know. I just can't be there all the time. My last doberman was really good about striking fear into big cats, but the dobes I have now are too old and too young.
I am going out to get the game camera now.....

New here! Looks like. A fun place to read, learn celebrate victories and lament the failures.
Not just new here but never hatched an egg before 3 weeks ago. So sadly I emptied an incubator this morning some snowflakes and butler bobs that I think I over cooked after a night where I saw 106 degrees on some kind of spike, have 2 styrofoam incubators still air side to side in wife's craft room, both jumped up so I don't know if a spike in elec can do that or what but beside the possibility of a few other minor errors turning 180, not letting delivered eggs sit 24. But I'll except it as learning and press on. Hope it's ok to ask about quail in here.
Sure it's o.k. to ask about quail; lots of us hatch them
Sure sounds like you had an electric surge, since both bators were similarly affected; 106 certainly didn't help anything.
Stick around; you'll learn more than you ever thought you'd wan't to know, and have a little fun in the process
Welcome, and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom