INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One quick question, not that it's a immediate problem. with 2 incubators, if I have eggs on lock down but hatch dates are couple of days possibly apart, will the first hatches damage, disturb the couple day out eggs?
We're central Oklahoma folks btw.

I don't like halogens, I never get the life out of em you're sposed to.
They are junk.

I use a 60w incandescent
They are in my office tho, which stays close to 80 degrees
I just mentioned halogens as an alternative because people complain about not being able to get incandescents.
I don't like using anything that generates light so I can give them hemeral lighting. (daily light/dark period)

Nice set-up.

-Kathy
They're like giant versions of heat plates. Just set the legs on bricks as the chicks grow.
The room is cold with space to get warm - just like a mother hen. I don't even use thermometers.

One quick question, not that it's a immediate problem. with 2 incubators, if I have eggs on lock down but hatch dates are couple of days possibly apart, will the first hatches damage, disturb the couple day out eggs?

I keep them separate till the young ones are sufficiently mobile. That's usually by day 3.
Doing so, I've combined chicks that were up to 2 months apart in age as long as they have lots of space.

TJ, I'm so sorry you lost some of your flock! I'm down to eating rabbit stew after I saw my poultry netting. We have coyotes, foxes and cats around. Putting up the game cam again now that I read your post'

You're talking about a staggered hatch. There are varying thoughts on the practice. Some do staggered hatches with regularity, usually the more experienced hatchers, and have no problems. Others tend to shy away from the practice.

Personally, I've never done a staggered hatch, but I wouldn't think the chicks with a 2-day headstart would be a problem. In fact, they might encourage the unhatched ones with their peeping. On the other hand, you could move the older ones to the brooder once they're dry & fluffed up, thus eliminating the possible problem altogether.

If other, more experienced hatchers have a different take on such a situation, I'm sure they'll voice it, I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phage

How can anyone keep up with you guys on this thread!!

I had trouble keeping up with the halloween hatch lol. Sally you outdid yourself on this group:D

GBRMimic.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom