INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One quick question, not that it's a immediate problem. with 2 incubators, if I have eggs on lock down but hatch dates are couple of days possibly apart, will the first hatches damage, disturb the couple day out eggs?
We're central Oklahoma folks btw.

Hmm, i'm thinking hatching chics bouncing off incubating eggs was another oops.

The jostling of chicks with the same due date stimulates the mature embryos to hatch.

How 'bout the ones still a couple days from hatching?
Welcome, Solstice.
I have done a few staggered hatches, and it really doesn't seem to bother the late ones to any great degree.
They do get bumped around a bit, but no worse than they would in the nest.
If I stagger, I generally try to do it ten days apart in the same bator, that way early hatchers do not interfere with lock down.
With two bators, you can just move the early ones to the second bator at lockdown, especially if the dates are closer together.

Just my two cents.

So build them yourself; just let Dad pay for the materials
gig.gif
I think that's what I'm gonna wind up doing! we might nothave to buy much though, I'm going to see if it might be possible to use old pallets.

A desk lamp likely doesn't have a socket with enough heat resistance. It should say the socket or the shade should have the max wattage printed on it.
All the big box stores like Lowe's carry brooder lamp fixtures. They're in the aisle with extension cords.

Here are my Ohio brooders in action. There was snow on the ground outside that uninsulated, unheated building when that was taken.

If you are brooding in a smallish Rubbermaid tub, a heat lamp is not only unnecessary, it is way overkill.
A 75 watt incandescent or halogen in a drop light is more than enough warmth.
I brood in these faily big storage tubs, about 2 foot by 5-6 foot (estimation)

They are Easter Egger Rooster on rural king RIR. It's been a fun experiment. Could be sex-linked but time will tell for sure.
very cool!

New here! Looks like. A fun place to read, learn celebrate victories and lament the failures.
Not just new here but never hatched an egg before 3 weeks ago. So sadly I emptied an incubator this morning some snowflakes and butler bobs that I think I over cooked after a night where I saw 106 degrees on some kind of spike, have 2 styrofoam incubators still air side to side in wife's craft room, both jumped up so I don't know if a spike in elec can do that or what but beside the possibility of a few other minor errors turning 180, not letting delivered eggs sit 24. But I'll except it as learning and press on. Hope it's ok to ask about quail in here.
Welcome! And quail is totally okay, all fowl is welcome! I personally would love to have quail, after I've got my goats set up going I might try to raise some quail.

Last edited:
I'm so excited I got a new ee that is lavender a few weeks ago and she hasn't layed yet but I have been out to the coop a few times this morning and she has been in a box every time. Fingers crossed!!!

Oh gosh, I wasn't able to get on I had to skip like 1000 pages, chicks are doing great! Found homes for all but six, they went to the feed store and are great. Can't wait to set again later this week. I'll get my first experience with shipped eggs.
mornin @Saris
hugs.gif
I will make another thread for just chit chat... as soon as I think up a name sweets. will make it easier for all of us. Cause I cant find much in this thread even when I try to pull our important stuff. I get buzz eyed at all the pages I need to go through to pick them out and put them up front. Glad you found homes, and you were worried? Cant wait for your next hatch, although shipped eggs eeeekkkk but I wouldnt want them in many others hands
wink.png

ice is good now....Will fish this week
good new phil!
yesss.gif
took long enough!

Quote: oh bam bam yer just somethin @bamadude did you lock my car doors this mornin when you left?

Quote:
lau.gif
low fuel light is never on in my car bam bam knock wood

I was out putting my little horses in their barn cause I just scared a mountain lion away from the peafowl pen
sad.png
Dang TJ!! sorry to read that you lost one or more? I guess he will be back?

Good morning everyone. It's been above freezing for two days.........what a great thing LOL

Have a great day!!!!
mornin or now afternoon sweets! @sonshine15 hope your have a great day as well!

nope not monin and its afternoon now yokel, sounds like your already runnin all around, have some easy fixes today and get home early to that gorgeous wife of yours.

Finally hatched my first two silkies and have Americauna/EEs coming out of my ears:) Little fluffy butts all over. Wish my Bielefelders would grow faster too. My barnyard mixes have been going to new homes to get down to the purebreds. Some of them have to stay, I named them a long time ago
lau.gif

I never saw the DLM till a couple months ago. Wow oh wow does it work great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the chickens are happier with all this cold weather:)
hmm.png

Hey, does anyone know of any eye infections or diseases you can get from hatching? Had an ER trip to the doc yesterday. Eye swollen all around with pain..........???
I am so glad you have your silkies! eye swollen? you have pink eye love? @sonshine15 bacterial infection or what?

Quote: Chaos, your on a roll today a bit crafty is it full moon again? @Chaos18

hard to keep up...and I'm retired!
I will refrain on this one this time phil. Only to keep the thread as Mike suggests
lau.gif
i make a chat thread your not gonna be so lucky

Good morning everyone! I know I'm a couple days late but happy New Years!
@mirandaleecon !!! there you are!! how was your New Years eve? and Happy next year to you too!

G morning everyone
Good afternoon Rod, whatcha up to this wonderful day? @Rod-T
Still need someone to do your laundry and things?

Quote: ya think phil?
roll.png

Quote: so there is a stupid question after all! whodathunk

No, nothing got in, not torn up, nothing obvious. All the others seem just fine. I'm hoping it was just age-related; that it was the one older bird in the flock...they all look pretty much the same...all from the same hatch, most likely, except the older one. I just hope she wasn't the only one I've ever had go broody, or I'm going to be incubating more than I planned to.
thats a good thing then, I mean not a good thing, but good she wasnt torn up. you know whut I mean

Read away, Darlin', I got your back. Onliest one I'm concerned with is Bubbles
gig.gif
me thinks she is off my worry list now
lau.gif

Quote:
smack.gif
whut is with you today Chaos
idunno.gif

662Posts skipped tonight! Hey you people who use grow gel. How the he do you get your chicks to eat it?!?! Both batches of mine have essentially ignored it. I have it on a flat plate with marbles and also tried scattering chick feed on it. No dice.
lol.png

And yes, the marbles are red, and white.
hu.gif
doh, thanks venysweets
lau.gif
did you offer it before water and other feed? OOOOOOOHhhhh guess I should go write that up too
th.gif
do the ifs ans or buts ever stop

Quote:

looks like you were on BYC to me paddler
lau.gif

The 12/6 hatch plus 2 from a broody 12/19
Very nice @mrleeroy what is this one?

New here! Looks like. A fun place to read, learn celebrate victories and lament the failures.
Not just new here but never hatched an egg before 3 weeks ago. So sadly I emptied an incubator this morning some snowflakes and butler bobs that I think I over cooked after a night where I saw 106 degrees on some kind of spike, have 2 styrofoam incubators still air side to side in wife's craft room, both jumped up so I don't know if a spike in elec can do that or what but beside the possibility of a few other minor errors turning 180, not letting delivered eggs sit 24. But I'll except it as learning and press on. Hope it's ok to ask about quail in here.
Welcome to the thread! @solstice do you have a thermometer that keeps track of highs and low temps so you can see how much your room is fluxin? I dont think you should let sit an entire 24 depending on how old the eggs are. you have turner or laying horizonal? here are some cool pages for you

Backyard Quail online book access~ incubation and keeping of COTS scroll up through book HERE
Quail incubating see this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732651/first-time-incubating

My leghorn layed her first egg! On top on the hay bales
1f602.png
sweet !!!
wee.gif

Good morning everyone. Can't seem to get enough coffee this morningCL!
afternoon CL
hugs.gif

Good afternoon everybody. Where's Mrs sunshine today?
Hi billy
hugs.gif
you missed me
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom