INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few things for new members

SEARCH FEATURES:  the BYC Site and forum, You will get much better results [COLOR=FF0000]using the "advanced" choice located right under the "search" box.)[/COLOR]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/search-and-advanced-search-tutorial

[COLOR=008080]DH , DS , DD, D----- what do all these different D's stand for? HERE[/COLOR]

How many square feet do I need per chicken?                                             
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2132     

How about the code for TOTAL DISASTER?!? Three weeks ago we lost a young (3 month old) lavender Orpington. It was confirmed to be Marek's. We had quarantined them and the breeder assured me she had vaccinated- though I had my suspicions based on a few questions she asked me in reply (I am fully aware the vaccine is not a guarantee, so no need to lecture there- I got that in spades the first go around). After "Laverne" died, we quarantined Shirley, her sister, for about a week. We moved the coop and their yard to the other side of our property and disinfected things the best to our ability. Yesterday I started seeing a couple red flags with Shirley- the girls were picking on her and she was distancing herself...then I'd check back and things were normal... This morning I saw her not be as interested in her greens and say with my coffee to watch...sure enough, she laid down to eat something (red flag), then rocked back on her heels, losing her balance. These were the first signs of the last 36 hours for Laverne. We are taking her to euthanize her- I can see her suffer. So the disaster is... We have all these eggs incubating, GF Biels and Marans coming Feb. 6, which I planned to put straight to the grow out pen with heat (they'll be 3 weeks and hugs from my understanding), and it's next to the coop which we can't move again. How on earth am I to rid (also know that's near impossible) this space from the virus?!? We are vaccinating whatever we hatch and the GF's are coming vaccinated. All my other girls (all hatchery) are perfectly fine. I'm just sick. Please help and send warm hugs... Or vodka.

This is a post that I have written in the past, I think you will find it relevant :
Marek's disease is caused by virus from the Herpes viruses family. And like Herpes Simplex-1 in humans, it's very common and I would estimated and say that there is no place and no floc of chickens that isn't affected by this virus. The epidemiology of the virus and especial the strand that infect the skein and the feathers follicles, shoes that this virus spreads billions of viruses every day and they can travel over 60 miles on winds. So its virtually impossible do avoid the exposer to this virus. So what to do? The best thing that you can do is cut down the level of stress in your floc as much as you can! Stress causes the excretion of stress hormones, like Cortisol, in the chicken, and they reduce the efficiency of the immune system, which causes the eruption of diseases like Marek. Some tips for stress free floc:
1. Reduce the changes in the floc to minimum,if you can prefer the method of "all in all out" it for the best.
2. Reduce the changes of cops and habitat.
3. Keep away from the floc pets especially dogs.
4. Keep away from the floc little children that chase the chickens.
5. Give your chicken the best balanced food you can buy.
6.Provide them a good supply of vegetables and fruits.
7. Provide them a constant unlimited supply of fresh water.
8. Give them a good shelter from the elements.
9. Keep them happy!
Good luck!
Akarnf(the Rhinoceros)

Last edited:
Happy Sunday folks! Made a quick supply trip to Walmart, got some ranch dressing mix and incense cones. Chickies and dogs are still fine, cousins are taking good care of them. I need to take inventory before we leave next Sunday, make sure that we know what we had in case the TSA takes my stuff again!

Hope everyone's having a good weekend.

She is sitting on five eggs. Really a couple days, well that's way more reassuring.
Yep... a couple of days. That's why hatcheries sell day-old chicks. They can ship them without food or water because the chicks are still absorbing and living off of the yolk.
thumbsup.gif

I love the review that says: The temperature variance of this incubator is horrible. It will only work well if placed in a room that is 99.5 degrees F.

4 of the 5 reviews talk about the big temp swings... with one review saying it's in a room with no more than 2 degrees variance, yet the bator is as much as 8 degrees. Sounds like a POS to me...

Yes but others have hatched out of one here, saw those crap reviews

I believe it was an older model they used

Yes but others have hatched out of one here, saw those crap reviews

I believe it was an older model they used
One review said he'd had it 10 years, so there's probably been some upgrade(s) since then. I'd have to do a lot more research and checking of reviews before I'd spend money on it. There's a lot of junk out there.
rant.gif

I am so sad. One of the 2 developing Phoenix chicks has died. Must've happened early this morning.... But the chick isn't moving and the blood ring has started to form. It was the one that was looking the strongest too. Ugh.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom