INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sad. One of the 2 developing Phoenix chicks has died. Must've happened early this morning.... But the chick isn't moving and the blood ring has started to form. It was the one that was looking the strongest too. Ugh.....
hugs.gif

This is a post that I have written in the past, I think you will find it relevant :
Marek's disease is caused by virus from the Herpes viruses family. And like Herpes Simplex-1 in humans, it's very common and I would estimated and say that there is no place and no floc of chickens that isn't affected by this virus. The epidemiology of the virus and especial the strand that infect the skein and the feathers follicles, shoes that this virus spreads billions of viruses every day and they can travel over 60 miles on winds. So its virtually impossible do avoid the exposer to this virus. So what to do? The best thing that you can do is cut down the level of stress in your floc as much as you can! Stress causes the excretion of stress hormones, like Cortisol, in the chicken, and they reduce the efficiency of the immune system, which causes the eruption of diseases like Marek. Some tips for stress free floc:
1. Reduce the changes in the floc to minimum,if you can prefer the method of "all in all out" it for the best.
2. Reduce the changes of cops and habitat.
3. Keep away from the floc pets especially dogs.
4. Keep away from the floc little children that chase the chickens.
5. Give your chicken the best balanced food you can buy.
6.Provide them a good supply of vegetables and fruits.
7. Provide them a constant unlimited supply of fresh water.
8. Give them a good shelter from the elements.
9. Keep them happy!
Good luck!
Akarnf(the Rhinoceros)
Thank you- with all due respect, the checklist you listed is all checked. In the end, I think I, like many, will think twice before trusting a "breeder" and bring in any birds. They get fresh water with vet RX twice a week, red cell, twice a week, a little ACV and always poly vi sol without iron... We are in CA so our weather is mild. They're free ranging daily and get a piñata of Swiss chard leaves, mizuno, a green apple and carrots. Their treats are never people food- only vegetables and fruits with flax meal sprinkles on them with kelp powder...true Hollywood treatment.

What I really need to know is how far do I take cleaning and disinfecting? I'm cleaning the tray, roosters and boxes...changing out what shavings I can, but their yard is bark pieces and dirt. Do I need to discard the 200 square feet of that?
1f614.png

So just pray the babies can handle it? Darwinism at it's finest

I'm using the coop the disease was in still. That was a few years back. If the chicks are vaccinated they will have a better chance. No guarantees.
I thought I would take my torch to the coop literally but then I think I read somewhere that it can be airborne so really nothing I could do. Yes Darwin at his best.

This was actually my first pick of incubators. I almost pulled the trigger on it, when I realized I could save a little change, and not have to deal with styrofoam, and went with the IncuView. However, I do like the features of the 1588, and it gets great reviews. Don't think you could go wrong with one of them...

How much was the Incuview?

Yes- for sure they all were...which is why I strongly question the breeder's claims these were... Makes me so frustrated. Lesson learned... Thank you

You will soon get to the place where all your birds are either resistant or vaccinated....and some chickens are naturally resistant, so hopefully you won't lose any more. Maybe the hatchery birds that you have were vaccinated...
:hugs

Yes- for sure they all were...which is why I strongly question the breeder's claims these were... Makes me so frustrated. Lesson learned... Thank you

Last edited:
I have the only shrink ray gun in existence. If you wish to purchase it, it will cost you one billion dollars.

No... wait... one MILLION dollars!!!

Can I borrow it for just a couple days? If I shrink most of my horses to, say, rabbit size, I could probably save a million in no time....then I'll send it to you..see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom