INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

CH I double box my eggs and set the box with the bubble wrapped eggs in the inner box, as you see it, each egg is completely bubble wrapped air cell up and surrounded by bubble wrap to help prevent moisture loss during shipping which causes the air cell to get larger and more easily loosened from them.

The egg cartons are taped closed EMPTY, and they are under the box, on the box and surrounding the box to support the middle box should it shift at all. The way I pack it really cant shift in that box. I also added hand warmer to the outer box, so that air space is open for the warm are to surround and not set in one spot.

I think I've finally figured out what one of my chickens is. I was told when I got it that she was a RIR/leghorn mix... which would be correct... if I'm correct in thinking she's a Welsummer. She's still young, and just laid her first egg yesterday. She'd started losing her tail feathers when these pics were taken. Can anyone confirm or deny my guess of breed?
She looks like a Welsummer to me. Can you post a picture of her egg? That would really help.

Good evening to the most helpful chicken people I know! So mama has from Sunday to today have 4/5 eggs hatched and they are now moved to the brooder box. As they were sitting in there and yes mama is still sitting on egg #5, it occurred to me. As long as she's in th brooder there is no real purpose of having the light on in there. As she will be able to keep them warm when needed. And I don't want to over heat mom at the same time??

I think I've finally figured out what one of my chickens is. I was told when I got it that she was a RIR/leghorn mix... which would be correct... if I'm correct in thinking she's a Welsummer. She's still young, and just laid her first egg yesterday. She'd started losing her tail feathers when these pics were taken. Can anyone confirm or deny my guess of breed?

dunno but purdy!

Good evening to the most helpful chicken people I know! So mama has from Sunday to today have 4/5 eggs hatched and they are now moved to the brooder box. As they were sitting in there and yes mama is still sitting on egg #5, it occurred to me. As long as she's in th brooder there is no real purpose of having the light on in there. As she will be able to keep them warm when needed. And I don't want to over heat mom at the same time??

correct but how cold is that room?

Hey y'all! Sorry it's been a while but things have been busy this direction. Haven't had a chance to catch up but will be on and off in the next couple days! I hope all is well with everyone!

My last hatch is now 6 weeks (yikes) and once the weather warms up above 40 they will go outside to their coop. Which I sure hope is before the next batch in the Bator comes out! So I had 6 hens and 3 Roos but lost one hen at about 4 weeks at no surprise to myself.
Then surprisingly I had 33 eggs show up in my Bator
idunno.gif
and they are on day 5! I needed to add water today so I grabbed a couple to candle and every single one I candled had veins!

Dang this incubating thing is super addictive!
hide.gif
Long time no see! How's it going, ambe... other than eggs "mysteriously appearing" in you bator???
lau.gif

Oh my goodness, I love them! My guys are just as friendly and I love it!
They are lovable, and when they're that friendly, it makes them even more so!!!
thumbsup.gif

I got some from Amazon as well. The scoop ones I ordered still haven't arrived. I need to try to track them down.

That being said, what can I use the horizontal ones with? Can I use milk cartons? Or, does it have to be something sturdier?

Thanks!!!
I haven't tried milk jugs, but I would think they'd be too flimsy. I bought a couple of plastic pitchers from the local dollar store, and they work perfectly. I need to go by Lowe's and pick up a couple of 3 gallon semi-transparent plastic buckets for larger applications...

It's around room temp(ish) it's in our boot room of the house which is completely uninsulated. So by evening it should be 15*C in there. Then in one or two weeks, I'll reintroduce mom to the flock?? Sorry for all the questions, I, very new to this. Mama hen went to brood with her clutch without telling me. And I was less the. Prepared when I figured it out, hahaha. Learn as we go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom