INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends, am glad to be apart of you. Am Ugandan from Africa
Started back yard chicken last September 2015. The project is interesting. The birds are laying eggs. But they all insist on using one nest so I have found hatching difficult.
Most of the eggs are wasted. Can I incubate using the cheapest means possible.
Thanks
Rhoda

Welcome! What do you mean by difficult, do they push eggs out, not let the broody acess the nest, lay new eggs in with the setting eggs, or something else?

-Banti

Last edited:
Started back yard chicken last September 2015. The project is interesting. The birds are laying eggs. But they all insist on using one nest so I have found hatching difficult.
Thanks
Rhoda
welcome! You will have to get your answer from more experienced Hatchers especially since I know little about your resources outside a broody and a broody box. Sally @Sally Sunshineis very helpful and knowledgeable when she gets up in the morning.

Thanks
Rhoda
Hello Rhoda! Welcome to the forum!!!

Yes, you can incubate using the cheapest means possible, which will require you to build your own incubator. There are lots of posts on how to build one, and it doesn't cost as much as a ready-made incubator.

Okay, Banti... I have to turn the reins over to you now. Gotta busy day tomorrow, so I gotta get some sleep. Have a good night, M'Lady!!!
hugs.gif

Thanks
Rhoda
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome Rhoda!

A broody hen if you can find one, separated from the other hens/nests (like in a cage) may be the cheapest method.

Making an incubator from a cooler box is probably the next best option.

Okay, Banti... I have to turn the reins over to you now. Gotta busy day tomorrow, so I gotta get some sleep. Have a good night, M'Lady!!!  :hugs

Night Ur! :frow

Started on day 16 now, soo close to lockdown. I really hope the blue egg makes it. :fl

-Banti

Last edited:
Thanks to @sallysunshine for all your articles and advice, and to others here sharing your experiences! We hatched in a bator for the first time and got a 100% hatch rate (we set 9 eggs)!! We used a used basic still air Hovabator I got off of Craigslist and built our own hand turner. We didn't actually plan on it, but we ended up with Valentine babies!!!

Here they are!!

@Sally Sunshine none of my last batch made I. I'm trying to pretend it never happened. I had the temp set too low and humidity too high. It was rough
1f622.png
My current batch should hatch this Saturday. I have 9 that are still kicking. They are brahmas again. Trying to get a big enough breeding stock. Right now I don't have a rooster and there will be no breeding without one
1f609.png

Thanks to @sallysunshine for all your articles and advice, and to others here sharing your experiences! We hatched in a bator for the first time and got a 100% hatch rate (we set 9 eggs)!! We used a used basic still air Hovabator I got off of Craigslist and built our own hand turner. We didn't actually plan on it, but we ended up with Valentine babies!!!

Here they are!!

Sweet!

That last one must use Trump's stylist! :lau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom