INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVERYONE ordering EGGS for the HAL! DONT FORGET TO REQUEST HOW YOU wish your eggs collected and shipped!! see post #55042
on suggestions and also where to find eggs!

2/16/16 9:15PM

PLEASE HELP ME UPDATE THIS!! ANY BDAYS coming up????

IF YOUR NOT ON THE LIST TAG ME IN YOUR POST OR ASK SOMEONE TO TAG ME PLEASE!

MISC:
whites bday Feb 19th, DAX 3/5, S5apiotrowski 3/8, karenerwin 3/14, Shahtir101March 22nd, country lovin March 24th

Making Bators~ I need updates to keep adding to our notes sections canadachickens, fire 4th cabinet, silverhair, fresnofarmer, mrleeroy you need to start one! CliftonFarmer cooler, chickenlove cooler, lazyacre cooler, shahtir101 coolerbator

Coop expansions:
Silverhair, chaos18, hippiestink,Fire Ant Farm

HATCHING/INCUBATION
NestingHillsSC Got 40 out of 42. Aussies, Buff Brahmas, Ameraucana and Barred Rocks and Sex Links I think,. I really should have marked the sex link eggs.Now I have no clue whats what. Have more going into the hatcher Thursday for Monday. I have a weekly schedule. lol.
granny hatchet 2/10 I put 50 eggs in today and had room for 22 more. LOL I opened all of todays eggs as it was freezing out and didnt see any thing watery. no ice except for the fact I have an egg eater and found a frozen yolk. they will be due March 3rd.
Fire Got all the breeders separated back into their pens. So we will be incubating heavy here in the next couple of weeks.
Sally setting every week and a few in between, have ducks in, serama, marans, legbar, projects, misc
J&TRanch 1/12/16 12 self blue Cochin bantams (shipped) day 3 (going to candle today to see how many are viable).... And 18 eggs arriving in the mail tomorrow @J&Tranch My shipped self blue bantam Cochins are doing good. I had to throw out a stinker and a seeper
1f61f.png
So out of those 10 remaining, 7 are developing nicely
1f600.png
They're on day 7. I ended up receiving 16 shipped from GA, they looked good considering the single digit temps- only 3 saddles and none cracked. They're on day 3 today, will candle Wednesday maybe.
Saris10 (+2) Bielefelder eggs. going to set 2/12!
TJ I've started up the Mind reading Bator again! It has Guinea eggs and two silkied Serama eggs in it. Not sure yet if the Guinea eggs are fertile.
My R-com is full of shipped Serama eggs from a couple different sources, all were shipped and almost all are messed up.
Casportsponyday 34 for the Muscovy eggs and it looks like I have one external pip, two internals. One of the eggs have a huge "bruise" at the bottom of the shell, so I doubt it's still alive.
LocalYokel 13 Dominicker 5 Leghorn, may be White or Brown, mostly Whites in that coop.(Not the cheery oldish dude Whites) Hope the Doms and Leghorns are fertile.
7 RIR 2 out of 3 eggs under broody bator are alive/developing, 1 RIR 1 Leghorn, tossed the other.
4 out of 5 Leghorn in bator showing veins!
Some of the RIR look porous.
Hard to tell on the Dom eggs because my flashlight batteries are low, But I can see some developing.
Got a better cage for the broody!
Canadachickens Just set 18 Auracana Four silkie eggs - 1 Malpoed DIS, 3 late quitters. 0 hatch.
Venymae @venymae got an update? hope your ok! Salmon Favorelles and 11 shipped Cochin eggs on 1/15. On day 8, only 4 of the Favorelles looked good, but 8 of the Cochins did -- I left them all in the 'bator. I added 10 of my own silkies on 1/23.
gotro17 Shellee lavender Orpington shipped egg issue,Papa's Poultry. Jeff- you rocked it! Not one crack! Thank you!!! We have Bielefelders, Crested CL, BBs Marans and Mottled Lavender Orpingtons, along with some surprises from the rainbow pen! Can't wait!!!5 Marans eggs were cracked
1f44e.png
. However, all frizzles and lavender Orpingtons were intact. Vital Farms eggs I got at Target, along with some silkies from our new friend from down the road, @Jessimom ... We are setting tomorrow for a Feb. 6th hatch day. 29 eggs go into lockdown tomorrow!!! Start honing your master Jedi skills of distraction and calm. I don't have a styrofoam carton to put the eggs, needing to be upright, in...but I do have plastic 2/3
ChickaLong Hatched 28, 16 boys and 10 girl black sex links. 2 RIR X BR. 1 girl lost today. Added 20 RIR and 5 astrolops from a hatchery
Hawk12 none of my last batch made I. I'm trying to pretend it never happened. I had the temp set too low and humidity too high. It was rough
1f622.png
My current batch should hatch this Saturday. I have 9 that are still kicking. They are brahmas again. Trying to get a big enough breeding stock. Right now I don't have a rooster and there will be no breeding without one
deserteggs22Update on my eggs in the incubator on day 7: all 7 of the eggs have moving babies in them!!! YAY! I will do another update on day 14. @deserteggs22 when is lockdown date?
Mirajane 10 white leghorn eggs, as I've said, my dad will only eat white eggs, so I bought some white eggs for him, so I can hatch them and raise them for him. They were shipped, 5 are good, 5 have detached air cells. Sat out for a full day before being put in incubator. Also put in 11 of our eggs from... @Mirajane when is lockdown date?
Peachickie 4/4 silkies hatched 2/4 mutts hatched Hearing some chirps this mornin, fingers crossed
Auroradream26 Last hatch is over. 18 eggs in lockdown now.
macylee 1/19/second week of my first incubation attempt! I have 40 eggs, 3 Swedish Isbars and 5 Cream Legbars, 2 RIR/EE eggs, a few RIR/Golden Comet eggs and the rest are RIR/Black Sex Links. @macylee How is your bator and eggs doing?
ambe0487 2/1 I put the eggs in lockdown this morning because I will be busy getting ready for the snow storm that is suppose to hit over night here, day 18 actually starts at 3 p.m. 29 eggs, which comprise of 6 Isa brown/Legbar mix, 9 EE/ Bresse mix, and 14 Buff Orp.
Fire Ant Farm CL hatch was 14 out of 15 set, with one put down after assist. The one with splay leg had his widdle itty bitty brace come off today (today was day 4). Doing well (a bit of a wide stance, but getting around great), as are all the remaining 13, including three that I helped out.
The NNs are on day 16 today. After Joey completely creeped me out with his clown gore, he made it up to me by advising me on the too big air cells. After 48 hours, no appreciable growth in them, so leaving it at 50% until lock down (then will push to 65%). He was forgiven.
big_smile.png

scottcaddy 2 different broodies on eggs at about day 10 1/20
slordaz barnyard mix, now RIR is matured too we are gonna play guess whose the daddy game as both roosters were on all of the hens, patiently trying to get spring here faster so can build the new coopsat 23 eggs at 2 am this morning 2/3 Lockdown is Wed Feb 10th (before bed) 6 are questionable 1 clear
19 looking good
Math I set backyard mix chicken eggs on Wednesday, January 20th. @Math got an update o n your candles? what day is lockdown?
shahtir101 Also I have been helping a chick for 2 days and it finally hatched!
S5apiotrowski incubator warehouse incubator. I have 3 welsummer eggs, 18 BCM, 2 easter eggers, and 5 mixed breed (BCM and Cochin cross, father is ??) Putting my eggs on lock down. I have 23 eggs left in the incubator. 2/10 . I have 23 eggs left in the incubator. Air cells still look a bit small, but all have grown - some a lot more than others since day 14. ...Were at day 19. No Pips yet - not really expecting any until tomorrow.2/10
MotorcycleChick Of 24 eggs set; 2 clear, 1 early quitter. 21 went to lockdown. 18 born, 3 DIS.
PHAGE Incubation update - I tend not to candle often - just once at about 10 days and maybe at lockdown. So, from memory at day 10..
"Eating eggs" gifted from friend 22/24 developing
Purebred eggs for same friend about 34/ 60 alive. Most did not develop. Of these about 8 were blood rings or large eggs with cracks that had died (didn't candle before setting).
Shipped badly scrambled eggs only 2/24 developing.
Store bought "pasture raised" eggs 0/24 - oh well it was a long shot.
So basically about 58 eggs made it to day 10: 22 mutt, and 38 pure breed.
I have been doing pretty dry hatches for the last year or so - add water just twice (day 7 and day 14) before lockdown. Humidity runs about and 32% without water (basement in costal San Diego). At lock down humidity is about 60% with water added.
The DIS chicks always used to look too wet, and this dry incubation greatly reduced the DIS rate.
I also try to plan hatches for when at work to reduce "incidence" of bator opening. This usually results in excellent hatch rates, and I rarely "assist".
Chicken Hawk33 CH setting a goose egg 2/16
Jessimom
I have a full bator with staggered hatches in my LG. I sterilized the Incuview and set it up with the egg turner. It's been running a few days. When it's time for the first hatch to lock down, I'll take out the egg turner in my LG, up the humidity and hatch in that, and use the Invuview for the earlier eggs. So, if all goes well, I'll have 9 blue/splash silkies and 2 buff brahmas going into lock down 2/18, 14 Buff Brahma and 7 Green egg layers going into lock down 2/23 and 7 silkie eggs going into lock down 2/27.jwlpoultry Well my little sister turned the nob that sets the temp in the bator and fried my eggs so now I am down to 39 Barred rock eggs will give another update later. 2/29
Friday Yet 5 Russian Orloff, 3 Orloff/EE and 5 Orloff/Cream Legbar.Hatch is due on 2/14 - Valentine's Day. Four were pulled from the fridge and will be a day later, if they are good. andled today and have 13/16 looking good with 3 clears. Will leave them in for 3 more days just in case, and pull them on day 10.
DHetzle Currently have 200 eggs hatching (heard a lot of peeping this morning before I left for work) and 515 more in the incubators for the next 2 weeks. I will be loading another 300 or so tonight.
HeatherMarieRordered a dozen Ancona duck eggs, and they went in the incubator today. I received 13 eggs, but one was cracked. I tried to fix it with candle wax, but I don't know if it will work or not since I've never tried it before. I've started misting my eggs with a 50/50 mix of water and Gold Listerine before I put them in the incubator to disinfect them. Hopefully that with increase my hatch rate. I'm hoping that these guys will be much easier to hatch than my Calls and Muscovies that I usually try to hatch. *fingers crossed*
fresnofarmer I have officially set my 2 dozen grocery store eggs at 1/29/2016 8:45pm pst Yesterday was day 14 2/12 candled and 1 of the questionable was still developing the other definite early quitter thew it out still have 7 going strong out of the fertile dozen trader Joe eggs So day 18 starts in 3 hrs... but my 20 month old decided to unplug the incubator at some point today
1f62d.png
just noticed it got it back on the eggs got to around 70 or so I'll check it in a few hours to check for survivors... im praying it was only an hour or so ago
Benny aka Akrnaf2 4 rumples Aracaouna,and 4 Partridge Plymouth rocks, this is tge first time that I h@ave bilt a bator! 1/29
Newchics blue/golden phoenix eggs I bought. First time getting shipped eggs 1/30
NTBugtraq 1/30 50 eggs into each tray this time, achieving the Brinsea Ova Easy 100 suggested limit. These eggs come from my own layers, who are first generation offspring of pure Black Copper Marans Roosters mated with a dual purpose bird resembling a Red Sexlink. These birds are inbreeds, as they are mating with their own fathers. The oldest layer is ~34 weeks old, the youngest only 24 weeks.
Bubbles1234 AKA BantychooksCandled 13, (8 BSL, 5 EE) 3 possible blood rings left in because they could be veins, I'm not sure. All the brown are clear looking, but left them in anyway as I might be wrong. 2 had a yellowish tinge and looked scrambled. I cracked them, and it looked like my breakfast!
ONE lone EE egg, the same one I saw veins in last candle, has what appears to be a HEAD near the air cell! Looks very alive!
The brown one I thought I saw movement in still has the same brown spot, my conclusion is it is a spot in the yolk and I accidentally shook it so it moved.
country lovin aka Ty The 14. Went into lockdown today. 2/14 Out of the 9 olive eggers 5 we're clears leaving 4 OE and 2 marans on day 7 Just set 4 marans and 2 OE. They will go into lockdown the day before the easter hatch goes in. I'm hoping to get at least one marans and OE hen to add to my own flock.
daxigait 1/31 Set 66 eggs last night. I have my fingers crossed for fertility after my roos were sick.
Possible Lavenders I this time as my Lavender Orpington pullets started laying four weeks ago.down the 48 after candeling.
howfunkyisurchicken I have 7 more eggs due to hatch tomorrow 2/2 silkies
bauerdog It looks like 7 chicks will be the final count. The grocery store eggs are DIS probably. I did an exploratory opening on 2 and they had died. I apparently had a huge drop in humidity while at work. The last live chick was shrinkwrapped and had to be assisted.
campinshaws 9! All honas! Due the 24th Sally all 9 of my honas looked good. We couldn't detect movement in two of them, might wind up being early quitters. Their veins looked a bit faded.
billiejw8912 Buff orpington eggs set 2/3
Tao Chick 7 Brabanter, 5 Pavlovskaya, and three from my pullets due2/26 I did a Day 10 candle. One of mine was clear and one of the shipped eggs had a blood ring. The other 13 look good. The turner is pretty good but I guess I won't know for sure until we get to hatch day. The air cells were growing a bit too fast so I added some water to boost the humidity to 45%. 2 a.m. tonight is half way.
mrleeroyset more eggs. 8 due to hatch on 2/25. Hatching the blue ones this time Candled the 8 eggs last night and it looks like one of them will not be hatching for sure and another had a crack on the pointy end of the egg(not sure how I missed that...) but is still developing normally. Also set 33 more eggs 2/11...Just the usual barnyard mix. My EE rooster that I had decided to get too mean a couple weeks ago (he became dinner) so his DNA is slowly being phased out and now I just have the Cream Brabanter rooster on those hens. Hens are RIR, SLW, BA, and EE. Barnyard mutts with hairdos it is
caeti21 4 ftp ameraucanas mix in the bator ( one doesn't seem to be fertile but im keeping an eye on it)
16 ftps silver laced wydottes mix one looks non fertile again keeping an eye on it
4 la floure mixes idk if my serama roo is the daddy or the ftp is so it will be a surprise i guess
13 eggs will be going into lockdown on Wednesday
8 will be the following week
5 after that
3 then 3 following that
chicknlove 2/9 DAY 18 +17/21 going into lock down in the Coolerbator and +15/24 in the Styro.. Locked them in nice and tight 2/9 Woke up to 10 babes in the Cooler and 10 babes in the Styro..2/12 DAY 21 here. In the Styro corner we have 8/8 local eggs hatched and 4/7 shipped eggs hatched and 3 pips! In the Coolerbater we have 7/9 shipped and 6/8 local eggs hatched. I don't see any pips in the cooler but my visibility is not great. yay for hatch day!
studio chick . I candled tonight (day 10) I have eight going great and 10 clear, the air cells are still a little small for my liking. 2/10
Sassy Hens1 Day 18 lock down on the marans here. 16 out and dry. 14 more to go. No pips in the last hour. 2/12 2/13 No pips overnight on the last 10+ to go.
butterfliesdoku have 46 eggs in the incubator right now, they are barnyard mixes and Easter Eggers with a due date of February 24th. Today is day 6 and so far I've candled 27 and of those candled 19 have active little embryos!vI was going to pull clears and quitters tomorrow but decided to go ahead today. Today is day 9. I had 12 infertiles and 1 quitter. There's 4 I'm not too sure about but I'll check those again around day 16 2/12
sarah25bear So last night I started 41 eggs in my incubator this is my first time doing this so hopefully things go well they are just farm chicks my hens are Rhode Island Red and barred rocks and my rooster is a partridge Cochin ... So here goes!!!
CyndiD I have10 WH duck eggs being shipped to me next week. Is there a site I can read that will help me prepare the eggs for incubating?
kissofcrimson my first little baby chick hatched!! Now I'm anxious to make sure he/she doesn't burn to death under the heat lamp or die for some unknown reason. I've only got two eggs ready right now (started with 6 and they were my test eggs) but it doesn't hatch for the next 2 days.
S5apiotrowski Anastasia aka AC 13/18 BCM Hatched. 1 non-pipper, 1 early quitter, 3 died after pipping (humidity too high, eggs rolled by other chicks, I think the drowned) 2/3 Welsummers Hatched. One still alive/working on it, has plenty of air, but breathing looks difficult. Don't think it will make it.
1/2 Easter Eggers hatched. 1 was a clear.
1/5 mixed breeds hatched. 3 clear. 1 died in shell - mal-positioned and pip didn't break through internal membrane.
UrbanFarmOC Thanks to @sallysunshine for all your articles and advice, and to others here sharing your experiences! We hatched in a bator for the first time and got a 100% hatch rate (we set 9 eggs)!! We used a used basic still air Hovabator I got off of Craigslist and built our own hand turner. We didn't actually plan on it, but we ended up with Valentine babies!!!
TrilliumAcres Thanks to your answers a few day ago and all the very valuable info that Sally Sunshine has put together I have 5 babies in the incubator with 2 eggs to go. First pip yesterday morning and first chick at around 6 pm last night. I woke up to 3 more chicks this morning and one more just hatched a few minutes ago. This is my first chick hatch ever and I am so excited! So THANK YOU ALL! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated!
Meaghan Just put two duck eggs in the incubator this morning 2/15. First time experimental hatch!
I set literally 10 or so breeds/mixed breeds. I got eggs from friends and my girls. There are 50 eggs total.

JUST A QUICK FYI about BYC RULES:

I am told there was an issue on another thread so I want to be sure everyone understands when posting that its in the best interest to ALL of us, BYC being a site for anyone ranging from 13+ NEVER ask the age of a youngster, gender or other personal information.

And for those that are young, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE RULES AS WELL: Do not post overly personal information like your phone number, address, age, or any other overly personal info. Minors especially should not post information that will identify them or their age.

THE COMPLETE RULES aka TERMS OF SERVICE FOR BYC CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service

Changes to Antibiotics Regulations Coming December 2016 most will need RX post #53348

By Dr. Mike Apley List of Affected Applications/MEDICINES CLICK HERE

NEW NOTES/LINKS THAT WILL BE ADDED TO THE NOTES/LINKS SECTION:
Fecals can be done at home, which might be an option for some:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1047614/doing-fecal-floats-at-home
Wormougel - 20g/L Praziquantel, 20g/L Oxfendazole most worms, including tapes post #55337
Fenbendazole Wormer including paste equine wormer post #52183
Worming post #51524

Incubator incubator heat elements Click HERE
Build your own Incubator with the STC-1000 CLICK HERE

Incubating and Hatching Duck Eggs Metzer Farms CLICK HERE

http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2016/02/01/best-days-to-set-eggs-in-2016/

Last edited:
[COLOR=800080]EVERYONE ordering EGGS for the HAL! [COLOR=800080]DONT FORGET TO REQUEST HOW YOU wish your eggs collected and shipped!! see[/COLOR] post #55042[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080]on suggestions and also where to find eggs![/COLOR] 2/16/16 8:30PM PLEASE HELP ME UPDATE THIS!! ANY BDAYS coming up???? IF YOUR NOT ON THE LIST TAG ME IN YOUR POST OR ASK SOMEONE TO TAG ME PLEASE! [COLOR=FF0000]MISC:[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080] whites bday Feb 19th, [COLOR=008000]DAX 3/5, [COLOR=FF0000]S5apiotrowsk[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000]i 3/8,[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]karenerwin 3/14,[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF8C00]Shahtir101March 22nd,[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]country lovin[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]March 24th[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]Making Bators~ I need updates to keep adding to our notes sections [/COLOR] canadachickens, fire 4th cabinet, silverhair, fresnofarmer, mrleeroy you need to start one! CliftonFarmer cooler, chickenlove cooler, lazyacre cooler, shahtir101 coolerbator [COLOR=FF0000]Coop expansions:[/COLOR] Silverhair, chaos18, hippiestink,Fire Ant Farm [COLOR=FF0000]HATCHING/INCUBATION[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]NestingHillsSC[/COLOR] Got 40 out of 42. Aussies, Buff Brahmas, Ameraucana and Barred Rocks and Sex Links I think,. I really should have marked the sex link eggs.Now I have no clue whats what. Have more going into the hatcher Thursday for Monday. I have a weekly schedule. lol. granny hatchet 2/10 I put 50 eggs in today and had room for 22 more. LOL I opened all of todays eggs as it was freezing out and didnt see any thing watery. no ice except for the fact I have an egg eater and found a frozen yolk. they will be due March 3rd. Fire Got all the breeders separated back into their pens. So we will be incubating heavy here in the next couple of weeks. Sally setting every week and a few in between, have ducks in, serama, marans, legbar, projects, misc J&TRanch 1/12/16 12 self blue Cochin bantams (shipped) day 3 (going to candle today to see how many are viable).... And 18 eggs arriving in the mail tomorrow @J&Tranch My shipped self blue bantam Cochins are doing good. I had to throw out a stinker and a seeper
1f61f.png
So out of those 10 remaining, 7 are developing nicely
1f600.png
They're on day 7. I ended up receiving 16 shipped from GA, they looked good considering the single digit temps- only 3 saddles and none cracked. They're on day 3 today, will candle Wednesday maybe. Saris10 (+2) Bielefelder eggs. going to set 2/12! TJ I've started up the Mind reading Bator again! It has Guinea eggs and two silkied Serama eggs in it. Not sure yet if the Guinea eggs are fertile. My R-com is full of shipped Serama eggs from a couple different sources, all were shipped and almost all are messed up. Casportsponyday 34 for the Muscovy eggs and it looks like I have one external pip, two internals. One of the eggs have a huge "bruise" at the bottom of the shell, so I doubt it's still alive. LocalYokel 13 Dominicker 5 Leghorn, may be White or Brown, mostly Whites in that coop.(Not the cheery oldish dude Whites) Hope the Doms and Leghorns are fertile. 7 RIR 2 out of 3 eggs under broody bator are alive/developing, 1 RIR 1 Leghorn, tossed the other. 4 out of 5 Leghorn in bator showing veins! Some of the RIR look porous. Hard to tell on the Dom eggs because my flashlight batteries are low, But I can see some developing. Got a better cage for the broody! Canadachickens Just set 18 Auracana Four silkie eggs - 1 Malpoed DIS, 3 late quitters. 0 hatch. Venymae @venymae got an update? hope your ok! Salmon Favorelles and 11 shipped Cochin eggs on 1/15. On day 8, only 4 of the Favorelles looked good, but 8 of the Cochins did -- I left them all in the 'bator. I added 10 of my own silkies on 1/23. gotro17 Shellee lavender Orpington shipped egg issue,Papa's Poultry. Jeff- you rocked it! Not one crack! Thank you!!! We have Bielefelders, Crested CL, BBs Marans and Mottled Lavender Orpingtons, along with some surprises from the rainbow pen! Can't wait!!!5 Marans eggs were cracked
1f44e.png
. However, all frizzles and lavender Orpingtons were intact. Vital Farms eggs I got at Target, along with some silkies from our new friend from down the road, [@=https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/39565/Jessimom]@Jessimom[/@]... We are setting tomorrow for a Feb. 6th hatch day. 29 eggs go into lockdown tomorrow!!! Start honing your master Jedi skills of distraction and calm. I don't have a styrofoam carton to put the eggs, needing to be upright, in...but I do have plastic 2/3 ChickaLong Hatched 28, 16 boys and 10 girl black sex links. 2 RIR X BR. 1 girl lost today. Added 20 RIR and 5 astrolops from a hatchery Hawk12 none of my last batch made I. I'm trying to pretend it never happened. I had the temp set too low and humidity too high. It was rough
1f622.png
My current batch should hatch this Saturday. I have 9 that are still kicking. They are brahmas again. Trying to get a big enough breeding stock. Right now I don't have a rooster and there will be no breeding without one deserteggs22Update on my eggs in the incubator on day 7: all 7 of the eggs have moving babies in them!!! YAY! I will do another update on day 14. @deserteggs22 when is lockdown date? Mirajane 10 white leghorn eggs, as I've said, my dad will only eat white eggs, so I bought some white eggs for him, so I can hatch them and raise them for him. They were shipped, 5 are good, 5 have detached air cells. Sat out for a full day before being put in incubator. Also put in 11 of our eggs from... @Mirajane when is lockdown date? Peachickie 4/4 silkies hatched 2/4 mutts hatched Hearing some chirps this mornin, fingers crossed Auroradream26 Last hatch is over. 18 eggs in lockdown now. macylee 1/19/second week of my first incubation attempt! I have 40 eggs, 3 Swedish Isbars and 5 Cream Legbars, 2 RIR/EE eggs, a few RIR/Golden Comet eggs and the rest are RIR/Black Sex Links. @macylee How is your bator and eggs doing? ambe0487 2/1 I put the eggs in lockdown this morning because I will be busy getting ready for the snow storm that is suppose to hit over night here, day 18 actually starts at 3 p.m. 29 eggs, which comprise of 6 Isa brown/Legbar mix, 9 EE/ Bresse mix, and 14 Buff Orp. Fire Ant Farm CL hatch was 14 out of 15 set, with one put down after assist. The one with splay leg had his widdle itty bitty brace come off today (today was day 4). Doing well (a bit of a wide stance, but getting around great), as are all the remaining 13, including three that I helped out. The NNs are on day 16 today. After Joey completely creeped me out with his clown gore, he made it up to me by advising me on the too big air cells. After 48 hours, no appreciable growth in them, so leaving it at 50% until lock down (then will push to 65%). He was forgiven. :D scottcaddy 2 different broodies on eggs at about day 10 1/20 slordaz barnyard mix, now RIR is matured too we are gonna play guess whose the daddy game as both roosters were on all of the hens, patiently trying to get spring here faster so can build the new coopsat 23 eggs at 2 am this morning 2/3 Lockdown is Wed Feb 10th (before bed) 6 are questionable 1 clear 19 looking good Math I set backyard mix chicken eggs on Wednesday, January 20th. @Math got an update o n your candles? what day is lockdown? shahtir101 Also I have been helping a chick for 2 days and it finally hatched! S5apiotrowski incubator warehouse incubator. I have 3 welsummer eggs, 18 BCM, 2 easter eggers, and 5 mixed breed (BCM and Cochin cross, father is ??) Putting my eggs on lock down. I have 23 eggs left in the incubator. 2/10 . I have 23 eggs left in the incubator. Air cells still look a bit small, but all have grown - some a lot more than others since day 14. ...Were at day 19. No Pips yet - not really expecting any until tomorrow.2/10 MotorcycleChick Of 24 eggs set; 2 clear, 1 early quitter. 21 went to lockdown. 18 born, 3 DIS. PHAGE Incubation update - I tend not to candle often - just once at about 10 days and maybe at lockdown. So, from memory at day 10.. "Eating eggs" gifted from friend 22/24 developing Purebred eggs for same friend about 34/ 60 alive. Most did not develop. Of these about 8 were blood rings or large eggs with cracks that had died (didn't candle before setting). Shipped badly scrambled eggs only 2/24 developing. Store bought "pasture raised" eggs 0/24 - oh well it was a long shot. So basically about 58 eggs made it to day 10: 22 mutt, and 38 pure breed. I have been doing pretty dry hatches for the last year or so - add water just twice (day 7 and day 14) before lockdown. Humidity runs about and 32% without water (basement in costal San Diego). At lock down humidity is about 60% with water added. The DIS chicks always used to look too wet, and this dry incubation greatly reduced the DIS rate. I also try to plan hatches for when at work to reduce "incidence" of bator opening. This usually results in excellent hatch rates, and I rarely "assist". Chicken Hawk33 CH 21 hatched of 27 in lockdown Jessimom I had a zero hatch rate in my 6 silkie eggs. I float tested yesterday, they were viable, but no noticable movement. I candled and tapped the shells, no chirping, no visible movement. I pipped the shells and again, NO SIGNS OF LIFE. I have a full bator with staggered hatches in my other bator. I'm going to sterilize the Incuview. run it a few days and set it up with the egg turner. When it's time for the first hatch to lock down, I'll take out the egg turner in my LG, up the humidity and hatch in that. Use the Invuview for the earlier eggs. jwlpoultry Well my little sister turned the nob that sets the temp in the bator and fried my eggs so now I am down to 39 Barred rock eggs will give another update later. 2/29 Friday Yet 5 Russian Orloff, 3 Orloff/EE and 5 Orloff/Cream Legbar.Hatch is due on 2/14 - Valentine's Day. Four were pulled from the fridge and will be a day later, if they are good. andled today and have 13/16 looking good with 3 clears. Will leave them in for 3 more days just in case, and pull them on day 10. DHetzle Currently have 200 eggs hatching (heard a lot of peeping this morning before I left for work) and 515 more in the incubators for the next 2 weeks. I will be loading another 300 or so tonight. HeatherMarieRordered a dozen Ancona duck eggs, and they went in the incubator today. I received 13 eggs, but one was cracked. I tried to fix it with candle wax, but I don't know if it will work or not since I've never tried it before. I've started misting my eggs with a 50/50 mix of water and Gold Listerine before I put them in the incubator to disinfect them. Hopefully that with increase my hatch rate. I'm hoping that these guys will be much easier to hatch than my Calls and Muscovies that I usually try to hatch. *fingers crossed* fresnofarmer I have officially set my 2 dozen grocery store eggs at 1/29/2016 8:45pm pst Yesterday was day 14 2/12 candled and 1 of the questionable was still developing the other definite early quitter thew it out still have 7 going strong out of the fertile dozen trader Joe eggs So day 18 starts in 3 hrs... but my 20 month old decided to unplug the incubator at some point today
1f62d.png
just noticed it got it back on the eggs got to around 70 or so I'll check it in a few hours to check for survivors... im praying it was only an hour or so ago Benny aka Akrnaf2 4 rumples Aracaouna,and 4 Partridge Plymouth rocks, this is tge first time that I h@ave bilt a bator! 1/29 Newchics blue/golden phoenix eggs I bought. First time getting shipped eggs 1/30 NTBugtraq 1/30 50 eggs into each tray this time, achieving the Brinsea Ova Easy 100 suggested limit. These eggs come from my own layers, who are first generation offspring of pure Black Copper Marans Roosters mated with a dual purpose bird resembling a Red Sexlink. These birds are inbreeds, as they are mating with their own fathers. The oldest layer is ~34 weeks old, the youngest only 24 weeks. Bubbles1234 AKA BantychooksCandled 13, (8 BSL, 5 EE) 3 possible blood rings left in because they could be veins, I'm not sure. All the brown are clear looking, but left them in anyway as I might be wrong. 2 had a yellowish tinge and looked scrambled. I cracked them, and it looked like my breakfast! ONE lone EE egg, the same one I saw veins in last candle, has what appears to be a HEAD near the air cell! Looks very alive! The brown one I thought I saw movement in still has the same brown spot, my conclusion is it is a spot in the yolk and I accidentally shook it so it moved. country lovin aka Ty The 14. Went into lockdown today. 2/14 Out of the 9 olive eggers 5 we're clears leaving 4 OE and 2 marans on day 7 Just set 4 marans and 2 OE. They will go into lockdown the day before the easter hatch goes in. I'm hoping to get at least one marans and OE hen to add to my own flock. daxigait 1/31 Set 66 eggs last night. I have my fingers crossed for fertility after my roos were sick. Possible Lavenders I this time as my Lavender Orpington pullets started laying four weeks ago.down the 48 after candeling. howfunkyisurchicken I have 7 more eggs due to hatch tomorrow 2/2 silkies bauerdog It looks like 7 chicks will be the final count. The grocery store eggs are DIS probably. I did an exploratory opening on 2 and they had died. I apparently had a huge drop in humidity while at work. The last live chick was shrinkwrapped and had to be assisted. campinshaws 9! All honas! Due the 24th Sally all 9 of my honas looked good. We couldn't detect movement in two of them, might wind up being early quitters. Their veins looked a bit faded. billiejw8912 Buff orpington eggs set 2/3 Tao Chick 7 Brabanter, 5 Pavlovskaya, and three from my pullets due2/26 I did a Day 10 candle. One of mine was clear and one of the shipped eggs had a blood ring. The other 13 look good. The turner is pretty good but I guess I won't know for sure until we get to hatch day. The air cells were growing a bit too fast so I added some water to boost the humidity to 45%. 2 a.m. tonight is half way. mrleeroyset more eggs. 8 due to hatch on 2/25. Hatching the blue ones this time Candled the 8 eggs last night and it looks like one of them will not be hatching for sure and another had a crack on the pointy end of the egg(not sure how I missed that...) but is still developing normally. Also set 33 more eggs 2/11...Just the usual barnyard mix. My EE rooster that I had decided to get too mean a couple weeks ago (he became dinner) so his DNA is slowly being phased out and now I just have the Cream Brabanter rooster on those hens. Hens are RIR, SLW, BA, and EE. Barnyard mutts with hairdos it is caeti21 4 ftp ameraucanas mix in the bator ( one doesn't seem to be fertile but im keeping an eye on it) 16 ftps silver laced wydottes mix one looks non fertile again keeping an eye on it 4 la floure mixes idk if my serama roo is the daddy or the ftp is so it will be a surprise i guess 13 eggs will be going into lockdown on Wednesday 8 will be the following week 5 after that 3 then 3 following that [COLOR=000000]chicknlove 2/9[/COLOR] DAY 18 +17/21 going into lock down in the Coolerbator and +15/24 in the Styro.. [COLOR=FF0000]Locked them in nice and tight 2/9[/COLOR] Woke up to 10 babes in the Cooler and 10 babes in the Styro..2/12 DAY 21 here. In the Styro corner we have 8/8 local eggs hatched and 4/7 shipped eggs hatched and 3 pips! In the Coolerbater we have 7/9 shipped and 6/8 local eggs hatched. I don't see any pips in the cooler but my visibility is not great. yay for hatch day! [COLOR=000000]studio chick [/COLOR] . I candled tonight (day 10) I have eight going great and 10 clear, the air cells are still a little small for my liking. 2/10 Sassy Hens1 Day 18 lock down on the marans here. 16 out and dry. 14 more to go. No pips in the last hour. 2/12 2/13 No pips overnight on the last 10+ to go. [COLOR=000000]butterfliesdoku[/COLOR] have 46 eggs in the incubator right now, they are barnyard mixes and Easter Eggers with a due date of February 24th. Today is day 6 and so far I've candled 27 and of those candled 19 have active little embryos!vI was going to pull clears and quitters tomorrow but decided to go ahead today. Today is day 9. I had 12 infertiles and 1 quitter. There's 4 I'm not too sure about but I'll check those again around day 16 2/12 sarah25bear So last night I started 41 eggs in my incubator this is my first time doing this so hopefully things go well they are just farm chicks my hens are Rhode Island Red and barred rocks and my rooster is a partridge Cochin ... So here goes!!! CyndiD I have10 WH duck eggs being shipped to me next week. Is there a site I can read that will help me prepare the eggs for incubating? kissofcrimson my first little baby chick hatched!! Now I'm anxious to make sure he/she doesn't burn to death under the heat lamp or die for some unknown reason. I've only got two eggs ready right now (started with 6 and they were my test eggs) but it doesn't hatch for the next 2 days. [COLOR=000000]S5apiotrowski[/COLOR] Anastasia aka AC 13/18 BCM Hatched. 1 non-pipper, 1 early quitter, 3 died after pipping (humidity too high, eggs rolled by other chicks, I think the drowned) 2/3 Welsummers Hatched. One still alive/working on it, has plenty of air, but breathing looks difficult. Don't think it will make it. 1/2 Easter Eggers hatched. 1 was a clear. 1/5 mixed breeds hatched. 3 clear. 1 died in shell - mal-positioned and pip didn't break through internal membrane. [COLOR=000000]UrbanFarmOC[/COLOR] Thanks to @sallysunshine for all your articles and advice, and to others here sharing your experiences! We hatched in a bator for the first time and got a 100% hatch rate (we set 9 eggs)!! We used a used basic still air Hovabator I got off of Craigslist and built our own hand turner. We didn't actually plan on it, but we ended up with Valentine babies!!! [COLOR=000000]TrilliumAcres [/COLOR] Thanks to your answers a few day ago and all the very valuable info that Sally Sunshine has put together I have 5 babies in the incubator with 2 eggs to go. First pip yesterday morning and first chick at around 6 pm last night. I woke up to 3 more chicks this morning and one more just hatched a few minutes ago. This is my first chick hatch ever and I am so excited! So THANK YOU ALL! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated! [COLOR=000000]Meaghan[/COLOR] Just put two duck eggs in the incubator this morning 2/15. First time experimental hatch! I set literally 10 or so breeds/mixed breeds. I got eggs from friends and my girls. There are 50 eggs total. JUST A QUICK FYI about BYC RULES: I am told there was an issue on another thread so I want to be sure everyone understands when posting that its in the best interest to ALL of us, BYC being a site for anyone ranging from 13+ NEVER ask the age of a youngster, gender or other personal information. And for those that are young, PLEASE FOLLOW THESE RULES AS WELL: Do not post overly personal information like your phone number, address, age, or any other overly personal info. Minors especially should not post information that will identify them or their age. THE COMPLETE RULES aka TERMS OF SERVICE FOR BYC CAN BE FOUND HERE: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/terms-of-service
Changes to Antibiotics Regulations Coming December 2016 most will need RX post #53348

By Dr. Mike Apley List of Affected Applications/MEDICINES CLICK HERE NEW NOTES/LINKS THAT WILL BE ADDED TO THE NOTES/LINKS SECTION: [COLOR=008080]Fecals can be done at home, which might be an option for some:[/COLOR] https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1047614/doing-fecal-floats-at-home [COLOR=008080]Wormougel - 20g/L Praziquantel, 20g/L Oxfendazole most worms, including tapes[/COLOR] post #55337 [COLOR=008080]Fenbendazole Wormer including paste equine wormer[/COLOR] post #52183 Worming post #51524 [COLOR=008080]Incubator incubator heat elements[/COLOR] Click HERE [COLOR=008080]Incubating and Hatching Duck Eggs Metzer Farms[/COLOR] CLICK HERE http://farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2016/02/01/best-days-to-set-eggs-in-2016/
I am setting a goose egg

Good and bad news here..
Good: something is in there... No blood ring!
Bad: way too small for day 18 I think, strange seperate dark spots. No growth, unless it is filling up the bottom where I can't see???
Somehow it won't show up good on camera, (turn your brightness up and enlarge pic) but I will draw a picture of what it looks like and post.

Pics:

-Banti
you need a new candler, I cant tell, but those air cells should have at least dipped a bit more than that. what humidity were you running the last few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom