INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear friends, I'm new in this thread but knew little about hatching. One of my turkeys laid about ten (10) eggs & refused to hatch them. Pls how can I incubate & hatch them or better still how do I handle such situation in future.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links
Try starting here. Tons of useful info on diy incubators, hatching eggs, handling eggs etc. I imagine turkeys go broody like chickens do and if she wasn't broody she won't sit on them, what kind of turkeys do you have? I'm planning on getting a few to raise for this coming holiday season.

I'm sure yall heard of the milkman ;)

Dear friends, I'm new in this thread but knew little about hatching. One of my turkeys laid about ten (10) eggs & refused to hatch them. Pls how can I incubate & hatch them or better still how do I handle such situation in future.
Good Morning,
I'm not sure about turkey eggs, but incubating chicken eggs that are more than 10 days old doesn't usually end well, unless the eggs have been kept refridgerated.

As far as incubating fresh eggs in the future, without a hen,it depends on what your plans are. If you only want to hatch a few eggs once in a while, you might want to check the local newspaper's want ads for a used styrofoam incubator. They can usually be purchased fairly inexpensively, and would be the least costly route to take. On the other hand, if you plan to hatch eggs on an ongoing basis, you might consider buying a new unit. HovaBator makes the most popular styrofoam incubator on the market. You can also purchase plastic incubators, which are more expensive,
possibly having more features than the styrofoam models.

I hope this helps you. It's hard to be very specific without knowing your local situation, such as what the power supply would be, and how reliable it is. I'd also read the articles at the beginning of this thread. They contain a wealth of information about incubation. Most of them are geared toward chickens, but can be applied to turkeys, as well. The basic principals are the same.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions; there are many people here who are always willing to help...some of them concentrate on raising turkeys as much or more than turkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom