INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MotorcycleChick. Thank you for the response. Her eggs are normally a med-large egg which is the smaller of the two. I guess it will be breakfast and find out. Thanks again

Linda

Well, I am totally confused now.
I haven't seen you around in a million years, but I was thinking about you a few hours ago. :frow

Yeah been busy on some other projects. We are calibrating everything soon and should be collecting eggs by monday.
(Assuming i can get the broody to move.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Someone posted looking for Legbars in Florida, was directed to Greenfire, and said that they had called and were told that they were not breeding them anymore, and wouldn't they prefer Bielefelders instead. (Maybe they got bad info? If so, GFF should be aware that someone is saying this...)

Here's the post/thread: post #3

I have this on a big metal sign in my kitchen...
Quote: Hey Kristin, Its Friday now and no "crawling out of your skin" is allowed!! I hope you have a much better day!! And yer such a chicken cuddler!!! Take some selfies with them and on your shoulder perhaps? We are going to do another HAL and perhaps we have a contest in mind! hint hint
It used to be sweet when she was little, like this:

Now, she still jumps on my shoulder, but she's over 5 lbs now and has sharp claws and its like "Ow ow ow, good girl, ow ow ow ow ow, good girl, ow ow ow". Usually don't catch a photo...

But I did get a cuddle photo with her this evening after work (she wuuuuuvs me...):

Quote:
Does black chicken taste a whole lot different than the rest... I know there are cultures out there that love to eat silkie meat.

It's a delicacy in Singapore and other parts of Asia. I had "black chicken" (Silkie) soup in a specialty soup house in Singapore. Delicious. Folks who have eaten it swear it's slightly sweeter in taste, and folks have had Asian neighbors/restaurants offer lots of money for Silkie or other Fm birds for meat. I would love to develop the Fm traits of my Naked Necks (a meat flock) - a number of folks on the Naked Neck thread have Fm Naked Necks that are SO STUNNING!!!.
Quote:
Hey - some of us adore our Naked Necks, thankyewveerymuch. They cuddle really well. (Oh, and they are friendly, disease resistant, tolerate cold just fine, develop breast meat faster than other breeds due to feather energy savings, and most importantly, they don't drop dead when it's 105F. Pretty important for some of us.)

Quote: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Quote: My Mystique is laying these. I was reassured on the Breeding for Production thread that it may pass (she just started laying), and that if it didn't, the percentage of hatched daughters that laid double yolks diminishes over time, so that it's not a disqualifier in an otherwise very desirable breeder (like her, big and beautiful). It does take longer to collect eggs to hatch, because you only want to set the single yolked ones. So for now, I'm just enjoying it (two double yolked eggs for breakfast!!!!!!)

Today was better than yesterday, but still totally full. It did start with a little terror - woke up, looked out the window, and there was a skunk trapped in the Naked Neck paddock trying to get out. I have an automatc door, and the chickens were already ranging. I rushed out and managed to let the skunk out without spraying me or freaking out the chickens (minor miracle) - the skunk was a little baby, and was sort of freaking out trying to get out, not wanting to be out during the day, probably got trapped there last night. Fortunately the coops themselves are predator tight. I figured out where he got in and secured that, but I will be watching tomorrow morning.

Although the day was better, I still cuddled with chickens this evening. But when I went to go move Tank off of the SS coop for the night, as soon as I got hold of him (hand holding legs, other hand over back/wings), I stepped back and tripped on something and fell like a stone (mostly because I fell trying to protect him). He was fine, just flapped a bit in the air while I still had his feet - I took the hit for him. Once he was put to bed, I cleaned up my knee, and in preparation for the ENORMOUS bruise I will no doubt have on my hip, shoulder, side, and leg, I opened a bottle of wine. Aaaaaaand here we are.

Only three posts since I started typing? Are you kidding? Where did everyone go??!!
hu.gif

- Ant Farm

Last edited:
Quote: I did not give selium because too much can be toxic. If I ever decide to give it I will search for the proper dose. Heck, maybe I should add that to my to do list.

-Kathy
YES PLEASE!!!!

@Sally Sunshine
@fire370
I have a dominicker with wry neck
Would you cull?
not sure why I am not culling, typically I would...
Wry neck?? Silkie Chick duckling post #60013

@tao chick good luck and may it be a quick hatch.
@chicknlove I hope everyone is well soon, and you get to rest.
@Sally Sunshine the roos are a bummer, especially since I just want to breed crosses. I hope to find a good line and raise a roo.
Update. Hatch 1: 3 ccl, 7 Swedish flower hens, and 8 EE that were set on the 7th. Hatch 2: set 2/22 12 Ameruacana, and 2 blue black splash English Orpingtons
Replacement chicks ordered for next week.
GOTCHA!!!

Well I updated my Olive Egger thread, but thought I'd throw the pictures up on this thread too. I love my little rumpless chickies! They are so friendly and sweet!
Ugly with tail

Ugly with tail too

the sweet tame one with tail

spouses favorite no tail

Lilly, my sons favorite. Very sweet and gentle. No tail.
all 6! My favorite would not stay for a picture! haha. She is dark grey tailless. you can see the tip of her head at the very end of the line up. lol
SWEEET @venymae Hope your starting to feel better love!!!!

@Chaos18 thank you for helping Sally update. Next time you do it post 59863 was mine.
Thank you Chaos!! found it

@Chaos18 Thank you so much for the update!!

@Sally Sunshine - I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with the laptop!! Thank you for the trouble you always go through for us!!

Hello everyone. Just popping in!!! I actually have a PIP on day 21!!! Yeah!!!! I'm having a little trouble regulating the humidity. We are adding water hourly at this point, so I'm not too worried. But I had to run into work for a few hours - I'm hoping my mom is up to the task!!
AWESOME

Quick check. This chick's navel is a little herniated and slightly bleeding. Is this ok for now? (Daughter's tea set came in handy)
Will be reading notes too, don't worry.
awwwww you get a pic of its butt? @tao chick

Set my eggs from dheltzel today. This is the first time that I have had a competely full tray lol

In the picture, the Reese legbar eggs are at the top and the regular legbar eggs are at the bottom for those who were curious about the egg color.

ETA: I'll have to get a better picture. The egg colors are basically the same but this picture has a slight shadow on the Reese eggs making them look off color wise
BEAUTIFUL!!! jealous!!! @Auroradream26 what is all in the bators now? got update?

Quote: It is hard for me to write in English( as you ALL probably know by now
lau.gif
) but you with all your name will drive me nuts!
lau.gif

I set shipped eggs as well as some of my own at the same time... I ended up with 6 of the purchased eggs with blood rings. All of my eggs look fine. I looked it up "blood rings" and it said that it could be that the eggs were old. Is that true? I have hatched shipped eggs before with good success.
welcome @CountryChic95 Had your temps got high or too low?

Hatchability problem analysis http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00008570/00001/1j

Common Incubation Problems:
Causes and Remedies
http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8127.pdf
This helped. Chick is already out of the cup and umbilical cord is dry. I knew I had read this somewhere. Thanks Sally and all for helping create such a great resource.

4 chicks so far. One zipping. Only the Pavlovskaya so far. I'm not sure what the Brabanters need but I'm hoping they hatch. I understand why they're rare.​

your welcome!! good luck!!
Quote:
duc.gif

Hi all,

My pip hatched about an hour ago, but didn't completely leave it's shell. It's seems to be stuck in the bottom half, one wing is covered in goo and stuck in the shell along with 1 leg. It's been like this for an hour or so. I am not at home and this is the photo that was sent to me. It seems to have yolk or something unabsorbed. At what point do we help out? And what do we do?

UPDATE ON THIS CHICK?>???
I have 13 swimming Bantam Barred Rock babies. 2 have pretty bad air cells, another 2 are not that great. So, will see how they do, if they make it through the second week. I find that's about the time the ones with the really bad air cells quit, if..they are going to quit.
I think I am going to get me some bantam barred rock babies though. Whoot!
wee.gif
highfive.gif
@Cynthia12 what day?

Hatch update: lots hatched - about 50. Sorry I did not get a pic of them and now they are all gone.

BUT- there are about 30 in the bator on day 9 ish and about 100 waiting to go in tonight.
Breeds are:
Bcm, BF, CL, swedish black, dwarf olansk, mottled orpingtons, bss orps, and a bunch of other rare breeds.

Theses are not mine. Hatching then feeds my hatching addiction, and helps out my friend by hatching for her! Totally win win!
Awesome PHAGE!! gotcha updated!! Bet the bators are beautiful with those breed eggs!!

Hey - some of us adore our Naked Necks, tahnkyewveerymuch. They cuddle really well. (Oh, and they are friendly, disease resistant, tolerate cold just fine, develop breast meat faster than other breeds due to feather energy savings, and most importantly, they don't drop dead when it's 105F. Pretty important for some of us.)

Only three posts since I started typing? Are you kidding? Where did everyone go??!!:confused:

- Ant Farm 
I figured you'd enjoy a comment like that. Some people also think buzzards are cute :lau Its a slow night for business.

Someone posted looking for Legbars in Florida, was directed to Greenfire, and said that they had called and were told that they were not breeding them anymore, and wouldn't they prefer Bielefelders instead. (Maybe they got bad info? If so, GFF should be aware that someone is saying this...)

Here's the post/thread: post #3

I have this on a big metal sign in my kitchen...
It used to be sweet when she was little, like this:

Now, she still jumps on my shoulder, but she's over 5 lbs now and has sharp claws and its like "Ow ow ow, good girl, ow ow ow ow ow, good girl, ow ow ow". Usually don't catch a photo...

But I did get a cuddle photo with her this evening after work (she wuuuuuvs me...):

It's a delicacy in Singapore and other parts of Asia. I had "black chicken" (Silkie) soup in a specialty soup house in Singapore. Delicious. Folks who have eaten it swear it's slightly sweeter in taste, and folks have had Asian neighbors/restaurants offer lots of money for Silkie or other Fm birds for meat. I would love to develop the Fm traits of my Naked Necks (a meat flock) - a number of folks on the Naked Neck thread have Fm Naked Necks that are SO STUNNING!!!.

Hey - some of us adore our Naked Necks, thankyewveerymuch. They cuddle really well. (Oh, and they are friendly, disease resistant, tolerate cold just fine, develop breast meat faster than other breeds due to feather energy savings, and most importantly, they don't drop dead when it's 105F. Pretty important for some of us.)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

My Mystique is laying these. I was reassured on the Breeding for Production thread that it may pass (she just started laying), and that if it didn't, the percentage of hatched daughters that laid double yolks diminishes over time, so that it's not a disqualifier in an otherwise very desirable breeder (like her, big and beautiful). It does take longer to collect eggs to hatch, because you only want to set the single yolked ones. So for now, I'm just enjoying it (two double yolked eggs for breakfast!!!!!!)

Today was better than yesterday, but still totally full. It did start with a little terror - woke up, looked out the window, and there was a skunk trapped in the Naked Neck paddock trying to get out. I have an automatc door, and the chickens were already ranging. I rushed out and managed to let the skunk out without spraying me or freaking out the chickens (minor miracle) - the skunk was a little baby, and was sort of freaking out trying to get out, not wanting to be out during the day, probably got trapped there last night. Fortunately the coops themselves are predator tight. I figured out where he got in and secured that, but I will be watching tomorrow morning.

Although the day was better, I still cuddled with chickens this evening. But when I went to go move Tnak off of the SS coop for the night, as soon as I got hold of him (hand holding legs, other hand over back/wings), I stepped back and tripped on something and fell like a stone (mostly because I fell trying to protect him). He was fine, just flapped a bit in the air while I still had his feet - I took the hit for him. Once he was put to bed, I cleaned up my knee, and in preparation for the ENORMOUS bruise I will no doubt have on my hip, shoulder, side, and leg, I opened a bottle of wine. Aaaaaaand here we are.

Only three posts since I started typing? Are you kidding? Where did everyone go??!!
hu.gif

- Ant Farm

My mom says it is a sweeter tasting bird.....

I have good news... my bator has been sitting happily at 99 degrees and 30 percent humidity.. I know I got to raise the humidity but I am ready for the quail eggs..

My sister is going to pick them up for me soon because my poor car broke. I am excited to get started. Hatch number two for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom