INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats an awesome idea

Thank You! Beats having holes dug throughout the yard. First year was flowers which worked fine, last year was fruits and veggies(worked decent but was hard to contain the watermelon vine that my daughter thought was a great idea) It completely covered the B by the time I decided it had to go. Not sure yet what this year has in store for them.

above is the outside brooder using the 55 gal drum, cut it down some, there is a temp fence and gate Installed a light on the top,

Nathan!! what lovely kiddos!! and handsome you!  I think they are fantastic Ideas!!  That pic of you and your son is priceless!!  I bet it would look even more amazing in black and white large poster size on the wall!!  just sAYING!  

I izz very sentimental can yee tell?  :highfive:

:duc

Well Thank You @Sally Sunshine Wife handles the picture editing and she enjoys black and white but then goes back and does color highlights. Thank you again for the compliments. Now time to try and catch up on this thread. I was in meetings all morning so I haven't been able to stay current.

Did you hear about the blonde funeral director?

A woman's husband passes away, and she is at the funeral home making final arrangements. The director asks the widow what she would like her husband burried in. " he always looked best in blue, so here is a blank check to get him a nice blue suit."
The day of the funeral, the widow is stunned at how well her husband's suit fits him. He looks like he had been to the tailor! After the funeral, she asks the funeral director how much the suit cost? "Oh, it was nothing. Here is your check back."
"Oh, no!" Says the widow. " it must have cost a fortune! I insist on paying for it!"
" you don't understand," says the director. " shortly after you left, another widow came in to make arrangements. Her husband was wearing a blue suit, and she said she did not care what he was buried in. So, we switched the heads!"

thumbsup.gif
I will say my spot check is off by over two degrees uggggghhhhh
I've only had one and I didn't trust it because it disagreed with all my other thermometers. Then I got the thermoworks one and it agreed exactly with the spot check.
I threw all the others away.

@ChickenCanoe Thanks for that information, I'm going to get all of this figured out if it's the last thing I do, but I'm the first to admit that I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
idunno.gif
get new crayons

After haphazardly piecing the refrigerbator together, I realized I had forgotten one tiny detail... how to control the egg turners. I thought I was going to have to bite the bullet and purchase an IncuStat Advanced thermostat, and figured I may as well get the 125W heater to go with it... and basically scrap the current design. By the time I added two Hovabator 1611's, the price tag in my Incubator Warehous carti(including shipping) was $258. A tiny voice in my head told me to pick up the phone and call IW to see if the IncuStat would have no trouble operating two 1611 egg turners, and the knowledgeable representative (Evan) informed me that the 1611 turner motors were 110V AC. Since I haven't seen any documentation (power wise) for the 161, I assumed they were 12V DC. Evan proceeded to inform me that the motors on the 1611's are designed for continuous use, and since they have such slow RPM, they will make a full revolution once every 4 hours. Since they require no controller, and only cost me $110.51... I can't ask for anything more!!!
yesss.gif

I wish the refrigerbator had been a little over 15" front to rear instead of of 14 1/2". I'll have to remove the end trays (losing 14 slots) so they'll fit, but I think a 70 egg capacity will suit my needs for the time being...

Since my goal is to eventually do staggered hatches, I'll need to start work on a separate hatcher soon. Do these project ever end???
th.gif
never

@Sally Sunshine
Does thisun need to come out of the bator?
leakers leave

So go fishing again; that seems to stimulate the itty bitty gooseling. Maybe it'll be hatched by the time you get back, if you stay out all night
Excellent advice.
A watched pot never boils.

I thought that they were supposed to lose slightly more than the 13%-14%?
actually it is a bit less. After the first 18 days of incubation, they should have lost 11-13% of their INITIAL weight.
That means the weight they lose in storage AND incubation.
One should weigh eggs for held for setting upon collection.
You should aim for 12% by day 18.
http://www.pasreform.com/academy/fr...al-weight-loss-profile-during-incubation.html

This link says it's toxic to birds:
http://www.parrotislandinc.com/articles/apoison.htm

So I would say probably not a good idea to use diaper rash cream.

-Kathy

I'd use triple antibiotic ointment or aloe or nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom