INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh! This gopher thing is driving me nuts! I am trying to catch it, but I suspect it is stealing some of the eggs that the hens are laying. So I am trying to be present when the next hen lays an egg, which is now. (They have to lay eggs closest to the gopher's hole, and not in the nest boxes provided
1f644.png
) anyways, my birds are so dramatic that when the the roosters favorite hen leaves him ( to go lay an egg) he screams, literally. So here I am with a screaming roo, a hen laying an egg, and a gopher. Living the dream!
1f602.png
Ugggghhh, no fun! So far, I've kept the gophers out of my garden with wire mesh. For some reason, they stay far, far away from my coops. I hope that doesn't change!

I hope you can find a way to discourage your gopher!!!!

Ugggghhh, no fun!  So far, I've kept the gophers out of my garden with wire mesh.  For some reason, they stay far, far away from my coops. I hope that doesn't change!

I hope you can find a way to discourage your gopher!!!!

I plan on putting hardware cloth down. This is the birds summer coop (California summers are brutal) and I hope I can fix it before it actually becomes a full blown summer!
1f602.png

I plan on putting hardware cloth down. This is the birds summer coop (California summers are brutal) and I hope I can fix it before it actually becomes a full blown summer!
1f602.png
For under my garden, hardware cloth was too expensive. I used Galvanized Steel Stucco netting. It's about 9 bucks a sheet. Way cheaper than harware cloth. Although covering a large area might be easier with the HC.

Good luck!!!

For under my garden, hardware cloth was too expensive. I used Galvanized Steel Stucco netting. It's about 9 bucks a sheet. Way cheaper than harware cloth. Although covering a large area might be easier with the HC. Good luck!!!
Thank you! I will look into it. A neighbor gave away a bunch of stuff and I grabbed most of the hardware cloth and scrap wood. I dont think I will have enough to do the whole coop with what I have so I will check that out.

its @Chickenluver106
  Bday????  I am sooooo confused!!
IT IS COMING UP  APRIL FOOL!!!!

It is my personality. When I say goodbye to someone, I say something like "happy Hanukkah " when it is June. Just because I want them to smile. So in the morning, I say "good evening" and "happy birthday!" instead of "good morning" .
And, my birthday is not April 1St!!

Last edited:
For under my garden, hardware cloth was too expensive. I used Galvanized Steel Stucco netting. It's about 9 bucks a sheet. Way cheaper than harware cloth. Although covering a large area might be easier with the HC.

Good luck!!!

If a guy had a brake, so he could bend a nice clean angle, that would be sweet! Never occurred to me to use it.

If a guy had a brake, so he could bend a nice clean angle, that would be sweet! Never occurred to me to use it.
It's a lot thinner than the hardware cloth, but much easier to bend. It is SO SHARP though. I've sliced my hand open when I wasn't paying attention. I can't remember who suggested it to me, but it works great! I emptied a bed I had used it under 3 years ago and the mesh is still intact.

Somehow Duchess and Coreen found out how to get out. They literally pulled a Madagascar and dug their way out, then waddled themselves out to the garden to eat the weeds and do some free garden work. So because of this I think it's a good idea to build a little fence enclosing my footpath to the coop and the garden area, and during the day I can let the girls out to turn the soil and eat the weeds and seeds. They don't fly out of the enclosures anymore and they're actually really good at foraging and coming home when called now so I think supervised time in the garden would be okay.

Honestly it saves me a lot of time pulling and turning in the garden.
great plan!! would love to see it!!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice . I will be putting up trail camera on nest and putting golf balls in the nest just to see. My poor banty, she just wants to set her eggs and be left alone.

Baby video monitor IN THE COOP or Brooder! post #31817 @Ruthannnall
Alright, I gave up. This incubator is not working. I broke and took the tray out of IncuView, and it looks like this now. I just hope the chicks don't bash the other eggs around, but I have no idea what I can use as a barrier between them...
hugs.gif

images

Quote:
LL

Is it just me, or do the chicks grow up way too fast? They already have wing feathers!
hit.gif

very fast but nothing like ducks!!

Hey everyone! I just wanted to drop in and post some pictures of my new CCL babies
smile.png
those with the blue bands are Reese line
smile.png

CONGRATS JESS!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom