INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who owns snakes, this is absolutely correct. Snakes like garden and corn snakes (the ones you usually find eating eggs) don't really sense heat and aren't picky about food so they'll eat just about anything if it smells like food. Had one of my corns accidentally eat a plastic leaf off a hide and when she noticed it wasn't actually food she spat it right back up.

CUTES!

That's always a hard thing. Good vibes to you and apologies for your loss.
We have corn snakes here, as well. I've also heard them referred to as Rat Snakes. Are the two pretty much the same snake? I get to see them up close & personal on occasion; a couple a year manage to find their way into the basement. I've caught a couple with a noose I made from PVC & electric wire, then released them. Couldn't get to the last one; wound up introducing him to Mr. Winchester. I know they're harmless & keep the mice in check, but DW comes unglued if she sees one in the house. I've seen a few inside that she doesn't even know about
tongue.png

Last edited:
We have corn snakes here, as well. I've also heard them referred to as Rat Snakes. Are the two pretty much the same snake?  I get to see them up close & personal on occasion; a couple a year manage to find their way into the basement. I've caught a couple with a noose I made from PVC & electric wire, then released them. Couldn't get to the last one; wound up introducing him to Mr. Winchester. I know they're harmless & keep the mice in check, but DW comes unglued if she sees one in the house. I've seen a few inside that she doesn't even know about  :p  

They're the same snake, but different places call them different things. They are sold here as a rat snake but in Texas we all call them corn snakes. Mine are hypomelanistic juveniles, not big enough to eat eggs yet.

We have corn snakes here, as well. I've also heard them referred to as Rat Snakes. Are the two pretty much the same snake?  I get to see them up close & personal on occasion; a couple a year manage to find their way into the basement. I've caught a couple with a noose I made from PVC & electric wire, then released them. Couldn't get to the last one; wound up introducing him to Mr. Winchester. I know they're harmless & keep the mice in check, but DW comes unglued if she sees one in the house. I've seen a few inside that she doesn't even know about  :p  
rat snakes get huge in the Midwest. I grew up around snakes. Mom rasied exotics and indigenous species. She still as about a dozen in her house, close to 40 at one time, even hatched her own corn snakes for a while. They have some very interesting colors. So do sand boas for that matter, bought her one once that was purple and orange, go figure.

My "logical" brain said that there was a good explanation. Everything was alright, and I would solve the mystery.
18 chicks. Gone! They were a few days shy of six weeks. Too big and too many to be taken away by a weasel. Even in the dark, I could see well enough to know they weren't on the roost, or under it. Not in one of the chickens' nestboxes... Where are those chicks?!?!
I Finally put my hand into the duck nest box. Why are the ducks so upset this morning, anyway?
No egg that I could find. I was pushing chicks left and right, pulling a few out (I held one. Ohhhhhh, she was so soft!
love.gif
). Maybe the duck didn't lay.

So, why the duck box?
Sounds to me like they found a place to get outside the fence & couldn't find their way back in; chickens aren't exactly the brightest bulbs on the tree. I'd check the fence pretty closely.

For those wondering, I am far enough away from what's happening in Brussels that we are completely safe. Keep us in your thoughts, and if you have loved ones in the area please be aware that there is a Facebook watch going on where you can check if they're okay.
Glad to hear you are OK! Such a sad sad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom