INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone! Good night to all that are leaving. Wow, Eggs, and Ducks and Twins! Lots of fun news by everyone.

I have 13 babies and 4 more pips.

I have question....since I set eggs at 11:00 at night, my day 21 started at 11:00 last night, and it ends at 11:00 tonight? So technically, the last 5 chicks that hatched today, it's still day 21, right? Or do you consider that to be day 22? I do think that the 4 pips that pipped today will hatch tonight - definitely day 22. I've bumped up my temps as high as I'm comfy going. I do rotate the eggs around the bator more often than I actually candle...

Since I'm having a good hatch, can I just assume that I have cold spots in the warm (sometimes too warm) incubator that everyone gets to spend time in, is why my hatches are sort of late for some?

Thanks!

Some may remember......... A few little things to wrap up and it's done.

That's a beautiful dog kennel, I wish mine looked like that! We used to have 12 dogs, 7 now but 4 are hunting dogs and 3 male so they can get seriously aggressive with each other and strangers if they pet any of the females...

Good morning everyone, off to work, catch you in awhile.
Nice photo @Mirajane how are the A.C.?
:celebrate your great hatch, and it is still early @Jessimom

Last edited:
@Sally Sunshine

No twins that I know of on my side. Wifes stepdad?? Has I think 3 generations of twins on his side including himself. She would kill me for saying that but gotta wonder lol.
lau.gif
yeah she wouldnt like hearing that I am sure!

Quote:
lau.gif

Quote:
yea I hear that, remove whites and put sally though
MC you found our CULT ROBES!!! didnt you know about them?

Good evening everyone! Good night to all that are leaving. Wow, Eggs, and Ducks and Twins! Lots of fun news by everyone.

I have question....since I set eggs at 11:00 at night, my day 21 started at 11:00 last night, and it ends at 11:00 tonight? So technically, the last 5 chicks that hatched today, it's still day 21, right? Or do you consider that to be day 22? I do think that the 4 pips that pipped today will hatch tonight - definitely day 22. I've bumped up my temps as high as I'm comfy going. I do rotate the eggs around the bator more often than I actually candle...

Since I'm having a good hatch, can I just assume that I have cold spots in the warm (sometimes too warm) incubator that everyone gets to spend time in, is why my hatches are sort of late for some?

Thanks!
Good morning Kathy!! are they the same breed eggs?

Goodnight Everyone!
Pretty sunset picture I took a while ago...
BEAUTIFUL!!!

Good morning everyone, off to work, catch you in awhile.
Nice photo @Mirajane how are the A.C.?
celebrate.gif
your great hatch, and it is still early @Jessimom
Morning Dax!!

Hi everyone!

Hey, I just noticed that I've been upgraded to platinum! How cool is that? Not sure how that happened, guess I need to ask a mod?

-Kathy
Great!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks, after doing some more reading, the whole stuff at the beginning of the thread, which I will keep reading for a few days, I think I might be having troubles because my room air temperature is only about 60, we don't keep our house hot enough for 70 degrees as recommended, I'm going to try putting the plugs back in like it says to do for the first 10 days, maybe that will help, I think it's pulling in the cooler air too much and creating zones.
Put them back in but that won't help the second half if it is still that cool. Can you put it in a small closet? Or create a mini room out of cardboard.

Are my eggs okay?! So I set my incubator yesterday for school asked a few questions here the other day I said the temp was at about 99 so I went there early this morning and was going to increase the temp and when I opend the incubator it read 104! I'm not sure if this is too high and the eggs will be no good? They have only been in the incubator for not even 24 hours thanks! Just to add I did have the incubator set up 3 days before and the temp was consistently 99
Read this.
http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx
Short term (a few minutes) temperature swings won't affect internal egg temperature much.

I am trying to figure out exactly what I have and if I need to find a couple more of either type. I am also trying to decide what needs to sell, what pens I need to build, and so I can put the right groups and roosters together in the right coops. I will know on all three when they lay since I should get white, brown, and dark brown eggs. I just hate not knowing what all I have so I can make a clear decision. I have also lost too many of one or the other and would like to get them now so I can get done with brooders. I don't care as much on the Welsummers, but I have plans for the brown Leghorn pullets.
You'll love the Welsummers when you see those in the egg basket. Be careful with them this summer though, Welsummer is the only breed I've lost to heat.
In that situation, I'd build the pens for what I ultimately want. You can always move birds around between flocks down the road. Get the extras of the breeds you want now. You can always sell them at POL if you have too many.
Have you ever driven up to Cackle? They have dark brown. Estes has light brown.
There should be several breeders near you with all the breeds you want. There's a guy in Niangua with light brown.
Search for those breeds here.
http://agriculture.mo.gov/animals/pdf/poultry_yearbook.pdf

Found a river with steel head in it... Can't fish till Friday hope it's not too late.....
Nice! That's a lot of meat.
Are they running now?
We have a few lakes with Stripers. There's an outfitter on a river feeding lake Norfork. If you ask, they'll call when the stripers are running up the river and you have to be able to go on a moment's notice. I need to do that sometime. They get into the 20+ lb. range on that river.
Missouri record is 65lbs. Previous was 60.
http://fox2now.com/2015/05/26/fisherman-hooks-giant-striped-bass-in-missouri/

Purdue is putting hatching facility up the interstate two exits where I live!!!! I wish I could work there!!! how cool would that be!!! @ChickenCanoe
DIY Turners & Egg Trays & Hatching Baskets Mics

How to put a turner back together post #63577
Bennys Awesome MANUAL horizontal EGG TURNER post #64262
Easy manual egg carton pvs turners click HERE and another in HERE
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9302/semi-automatic-egg-turner
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bens-hens-diy-incubator
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9302/semi-automatic-egg-turner/10#post_67770
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/968827/my-diy-automatic-egg-turner
Homemade automatic or manual HORIZONTAL egg turner CLICK HERE
Horizontal DIY Turner post #64675
DIY Quail Turner post #64682
Sallys manual cabinet turner with trays post #32186
Manual PVC turner for incubator HERE
Hatching baskets Egg Trays and sizes/depths post #64634
DIY Egg Tray Hatching Baskets out of Hardware Cloth post #64620
CHEAP EGG TRAYS click here and HERE
Egg trays, also look at Cutler Supply and Hawkhead Hatchery Equipment
GFQ Turner Supplemental Maintenance Manual with detailed images PDF CLICK HERE
Rotisserie motor considered using with a timer chkncanoe CLICK HERE
Rotisserie Motor - NEW MODEL 6RPM Click HERE
Replacement Egg Turner Motor for Little Giant, HovaBator, and Farm Innovators Click HERE
That would be cool.
I worked as a contractor for a while programming their feed mills. Them and most of the other major poultry producers around the world.
There was a huge closed facility in Indonesia that was a hatchery, grow out facility and processor of broilers. They supplied a large percentage of all frozen chicken to Europe. The feed ingredients came into the mill by train on one end and out the other end went frozen chicken.

I'd love one of those big totally automatic incubators. I built a big prototype that I'm still perfecting.

I can't say much about that, I'm not real good about going t doctors myself.
Nor am I. Except for a visit to the hospital last month for what I thought was pneumonia, I haven't been to a doctor in 9 years.
At the hospital they poked over a dozen holes in me.

I keep seeing reports of 'bators being found unplugged. I have two possible solutions:

1) I've had plugs that didn't want to stay in the outlet snugly enough to maintain contact. Usually, but not always, if you squeeze the prongs of the plug a bit closer together, it will hold more snugly in the outlet.

2) I've never tried this, but I wonder if you could wrap one end of a light wire around the cord, close as possible to the base of the plug, then back off on the screw in the center of the switch plate enough to make a single wrap of wire around it before re-tightening it. A longer screw, with the same thread, would probably be needed. Be sure not to leave extra wire (after wrapping the screw) that might contact the other half of the outlet.
On the first point. The outlet itself is worn out. The tension is gone from the female slots in the receptacle If they swap it out with a new one, that will take care of it.
Same thing happened to me with my monster incubator plugged into an old outlet in my cellar. Incubator was cold and the weight of the 8/3 cable pulled it out. It was almost as old as when the house got electric.

Well for those that caught it this morning I was talking about our 3rd baby being due. We went back this afternoon for an ultrasound and it looks as though we are only measuring at around 9 weeks. However, there are 2 so lord willing we will be adding baby 3 and 4 come November time frame. Looks like I need to get some hatching in before I have to shut it down for a bit.
Congratulations!

Some may remember......... A few little things to wrap up and it's done.

That's beautiful.
I wish I had that much room. I guess I'd have to move to KS.

Perfect excuse to buy a baby monitor, then misplace it...in the coop!
tongue.png
I bought one when I was losing birds to mink. It worked. I woke up, ran out to the coop and was able to save half of the birds in that building.

Thanks. Wind quit blowing so we have internet again, somewhat anyways.
It's been extremely windy for the last 5 days. We usually don't have more than 1 or 2 like that.

Does Ben know that?
Originally Posted by chicken hawk 33

u know what I mean
What do you expect? After all, you capitalized it and spelled it like a man's name so that makes it a proper noun. Did you mean been?

Thanks!

Whatever day of the week you set them, the same day of the week and the same time will be the end of day 21. If the bulk hatch earlier than that hour, temps could have been high, after that hour, could have been low. (there are other reasons for early/late but that's the first thing to consider)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom