INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
My name is Nell, and I have a few questions.
I have shipped eggs on day 14, of course some have saddle shaped aircells, and some have just down one long side(wonky?), then some with normal appearance.
(I followed all basic rules for settling, and not turning first 2 days to stabilize the air cells)
I have 2 incubators that can both be used as hatchers. (I have too many eggs to fit in brinsea for hatch)
1 brinsea octagon Eco, and 1 that I built myself with kit from incubator warehouse.
My first question is aircell size on these saddle shaped ones. It's really hard for me to visually gauge if they are way too big or not. I know the size it should be approx for normal aircells, but I have not found a "saddle shape cheat sheet chart". Would you take a look at the many pics I am posting and let me know in general if they are ok.

*** the white pencil mark on the dark eggs are day 14, and the white eggs just regular pencil***

** please also know that I realize that a few of the dark brown have too small of aircells, and I am trying to deal with that**
2nd question
I have read that it's best to hatch upright in cut down egg cartons.
I can do that no problem, but does anyone have pics of how far to cut them down? I do best visually seeing.
Someone else suggested toilet paper rolls cut down, however I would be worried that once hatch started they might be knocked over anyway by the others.
3rd question
Saddle shaped aircells with both dips about same? If leaning on egg carton, do I face both dips free of back carton?

Ok I hope I have not bombarded you all with too many questions.
Also I have read and read all the hatching 101 notes, and have hatched before, just usually hatch local eggs with less problems. However my daughter really wants polish chickens, and my husband wants his dark eggs!! :)
Thank you

Welcome!! I think most weigh saddled eggs, but I could be wrong. Did you see the weighing info in H101?
And cut down means cut out the bottoms for air flow, I think.

Sorry, not much help on #3, I'm a newbie myself!
-Banti

Hi everyone,
My name is Nell, and I have a few questions.
I have shipped eggs on day 14, of course some have saddle shaped aircells, and some have just down one long side(wonky?), then some with normal appearance.
(I followed all basic rules for settling, and not turning first 2 days to stabilize the air cells)
I have 2 incubators that can both be used as hatchers. (I have too many eggs to fit in brinsea for hatch)
1 brinsea octagon Eco, and 1 that I built myself with kit from incubator warehouse.
My first question is aircell size on these saddle shaped ones. It's really hard for me to visually gauge if they are way too big or not. I know the size it should be approx for normal aircells, but I have not found a "saddle shape cheat sheet chart". Would you take a look at the many pics I am posting and let me know in general if they are ok.

*** the white pencil mark on the dark eggs are day 14, and the white eggs just regular pencil***

** please also know that I realize that a few of the dark brown have too small of aircells, and I am trying to deal with that**
2nd question
I have read that it's best to hatch upright in cut down egg cartons.
I can do that no problem, but does anyone have pics of how far to cut them down? I do best visually seeing.
Someone else suggested toilet paper rolls cut down, however I would be worried that once hatch started they might be knocked over anyway by the others.
3rd question
Saddle shaped aircells with both dips about same? If leaning on egg carton, do I face both dips free of back carton?

Ok I hope I have not bombarded you all with too many questions.
Also I have read and read all the hatching 101 notes, and have hatched before, just usually hatch local eggs with less problems. However my daughter really wants polish chickens, and my husband wants his dark eggs!!
smile.png

Thank you

Just looked at the pics of dark eggs and realized it's hard to see the white on some. Just FYI the dark pencil mark is about day 10 or 11 I think.
They do look okay to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom