INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here it is
widdle cutie!!

What is everybody's favorite treat besides mealworms for your chickens?
mellons

alright! Broody hatch is done, hen isn't interested in the remaining two eggs, I candled And I can't see much, But I didn't see any movement so They are going to be thrown out tomorrow if there isn't anything interesting. I PROMISE I will post pics soon, Like tomorrow if I have the time. The chicks went outside for the first time today, it was pretty funny! I have some pics of mom stretching out and sunbathing with the babies about to jump onto her! I ended up with a total of 5 chicks, I think I am keeping two, or maybe three, Deff. keeping the third one until november. Two are going to a new home as soon as they are old enough to leave mom!
sweet!

Quote: awwww I just took some two months images!! I have to post then!!

Hi friends- long time no post... Sorry. I'm posting this for a friend and will cross post in the emergency thread... Her Amercauna has separated herself from the flock, finding a shady spot and is sleeping during the day. She soaked her and checked her vent but doesn't feel anything. Her crop seems fine but now she won't lay down and is standing funny... Any thoughts?
gotro!!! missed you. @casportpony maybe she can help poor girl hope she gets better
Quote:
Mornin again sweets!
Quote:

MORNING ALL, happy Saturday!!
WHATS THE WEATHER IN YER
NECK OF THE WOODS?
13177227_1773619736207627_7806086674046497630_n.jpg

Good Morning Sally!
It's very cold here for this time of year.
the leaves are pushing out pretty good finally here! I see some sun out there!

Temps holding fine on my eggs set last Sunday, but I can't get the humidity down; still running mid-high 40's.At first it was running low, so I put in a folded paper towel with a bit of water in it. That didn't help, so substituted a couple Rx bottles; not a lot of help. I added a couple or three 3cc syringes of water to the troughs; humidity shot up into the mid-50's.

Water's evaporated in the troughs, Rx bottles have been removed, a small bowl of rice added, and a de-humidifier, that we normally use in the summer in the basement, has been set up right next to the bator; current RH 40%.

Other than relocating the 'bator to the spare bedroom upstairs, which is an option, I'm fresh out of idea. Problem is, I haven't a clue if the humidity is any lower there, and no known means of finding out other than pulling one of the gauges out of the 'bator.

I can't wait to see what AC's look like tomorrow!

Any hints out there?
morning whites, let the dehumidifier do its job a bit

Howdy.... Long day today.... Hope yours was good
Nice Phi! Beautiful up there.

@daxigait
Here's some of the Altsteirer hens eggs. 5 smaller ones. Rest are just to show there color.

Very nice!

Well, I got a second of the olive eggs and it is much more olive, and another pullet started and she lays a light mint green :)
Great!
woot.gif

I started getting eggs from my December hens the end of April. Dark green first, lighter green next and the beige just started laying 2 weeks ago. Yesterday we got the biggest egg I've ever seen out of one of them. I'm guessing the Buff Orpington? a
WOW! Big difference.

Good morning and amen. Suburbia gives me nightmares. I am only six miles out until I retire, if that ever happens, for winter work ease, but my twelve acres are space, my neighbors on two sides are cattle fields where you can't see anyone, and the other two live on six and ten acres. There are six honescon our dead end Lane and several are night workers so it is more secure.
I'm currently in the 'burbs but the only houses visible are across the road. There's a 4 acre field on the east that extends to the top of the hill, neighbors to the west are in the middle of 3 acres of woods and the lady behind me lives in 28 acres of woods.
This was all farmland and where my family has lived since the 1800s. So I'm reluctant to give up on it. If I don't look across the road, it feels like I'm in the country. On the plus side of the 'burbs, I'm 5 minutes from Lowe's, HD, 2 more hardware stores, 3 grocery stores, a feed store, 2 pet stores, my bank, nurseries, some good restaurants and gobs of other stuff. Better yet, I'm 20 minutes from the airport and 5 big farmer's markets and a pick your own orchard are all within a half hour drive.

Currently Viewing

9 Members, 17 Guests
LocalYokel MotorcycleChick Nksg75 Sally Sunshine daxigait emmie325 jwlpoultry mlm Mike mrleeroy

MORNING ALL, happy Saturday!!
WHATS THE WEATHER IN YER
NECK OF THE WOODS?

Cold but thankfully dry for the first time in a long time.
The lying whethermen/women say it's 46 outside. I don't know what it got down to overnight but it is 40F here at my house. It's only going up to 60 today and we may have a frost tonight.

I hope the queens I put in hives yesterday were kept warm by the bees in there. I should have waited a couple more days past this cold spell.

Last edited:
Quote: Great!!! I have weeds to attempt to rip out of the beds today!

hi! sorry I haven't been on in a while!

Welcome back!!
Today is "clean and sanitize the waterer" day. Birds knocked the whole thing over and pooped on it.
barnie.gif
I must be weird I do them every day when I fill them
hide.gif
Husband sure dont yuk

Good morning!
Mornin MC!

got some good saddles there I see good luck

Hi everyone,
My name is Nell, and I have a few questions.
I have shipped eggs on day 14, of course some have saddle shaped aircells, and some have just down one long side(wonky?), then some with normal appearance.
(I followed all basic rules for settling, and not turning first 2 days to stabilize the air cells)
I have 2 incubators that can both be used as hatchers. (I have too many eggs to fit in brinsea for hatch)
1 brinsea octagon Eco, and 1 that I built myself with kit from incubator warehouse.
My first question is aircell size on these saddle shaped ones. It's really hard for me to visually gauge if they are way too big or not. I know the size it should be approx for normal aircells, but I have not found a "saddle shape cheat sheet chart". Would you take a look at the many pics I am posting and let me know in general if they are ok.

*** the white pencil mark on the dark eggs are day 14, and the white eggs just regular pencil***

** please also know that I realize that a few of the dark brown have too small of aircells, and I am trying to deal with that**
2nd question
I have read that it's best to hatch upright in cut down egg cartons.
I can do that no problem, but does anyone have pics of how far to cut them down? I do best visually seeing.
Someone else suggested toilet paper rolls cut down, however I would be worried that once hatch started they might be knocked over anyway by the others.
3rd question
Saddle shaped aircells with both dips about same? If leaning on egg carton, do I face both dips free of back carton?

Ok I hope I have not bombarded you all with too many questions.
Also I have read and read all the hatching 101 notes, and have hatched before, just usually hatch local eggs with less problems. However my daughter really wants polish chickens, and my husband wants his dark eggs!!
smile.png

Thank you

Just looked at the pics of dark eggs and realized it's hard to see the white on some. Just FYI the dark pencil mark is about day 10 or 11 I think.
WELCOME NELL!! Nksg75 @Nksg75

I was just going to ask about the small air cells, you have two bators can you separate the ones that need more loss and run drier?
for shipped eggs hatch upright yes, in styro not paper, they will grab the humidity
I do like the idea of the TP but agree about knocking them over

you read the 101 see if this link may fine tune a few more things, but it sounds like you got it under control!

INCUBATION QUESTIONS w/answers post #85688

Hi everyone,
My name is Nell, and I have a few questions.
I have shipped eggs on day 14, of course some have saddle shaped aircells, and some have just down one long side(wonky?), then some with normal appearance.
(I followed all basic rules for settling, and not turning first 2 days to stabilize the air cells)
I have 2 incubators that can both be used as hatchers. (I have too many eggs to fit in brinsea for hatch)
1 brinsea octagon Eco, and 1 that I built myself with kit from incubator warehouse.
My first question is aircell size on these saddle shaped ones. It's really hard for me to visually gauge if they are way too big or not. I know the size it should be approx for normal aircells, but I have not found a "saddle shape cheat sheet chart". Would you take a look at the many pics I am posting and let me know in general if they are ok.

*** the white pencil mark on the dark eggs are day 14, and the white eggs just regular pencil***

** please also know that I realize that a few of the dark brown have too small of aircells, and I am trying to deal with that**
2nd question
I have read that it's best to hatch upright in cut down egg cartons.
I can do that no problem, but does anyone have pics of how far to cut them down? I do best visually seeing.
Someone else suggested toilet paper rolls cut down, however I would be worried that once hatch started they might be knocked over anyway by the others.
3rd question
Saddle shaped aircells with both dips about same? If leaning on egg carton, do I face both dips free of back carton?

Ok I hope I have not bombarded you all with too many questions.
Also I have read and read all the hatching 101 notes, and have hatched before, just usually hatch local eggs with less problems. However my daughter really wants polish chickens, and my husband wants his dark eggs!! :)
Thank you

Just looked at the pics of dark eggs and realized it's hard to see the white on some. Just FYI the dark pencil mark is about day 10 or 11 I think.
Welcome. There will be experienced people on soon. Welcome and good luck!
@Sally Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom