INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winding down myself.
frow.gif
Good Night!
frow.gif

Y'all can put my name at the top of the "STUPID ROOKIE MISTAKES" list, in red size 70 type. I screwed up so bad even I don't believe it!

I went back to see if I could come up with something that would let me get a decent pic to post for you guys. I found one of my original DIY candlers that had a hole just the right size to support an egg w/o me having to try to balance an egg in my hand with the "good" candler on top while I tried to get a picture.

The 1st egg I re-candled happened to have an air cell the same size as the "business end" of the candler, so that I couldn't see it. All I could see was a large open space about halfway down the shell to the dark mass taking up the remainder of the shell. I mistook all that open space for air cell! I ended up candling every egg again, finding the same thing in all but a few, where the actual air cell was either not quite centered or was a bit larger. I even detected distinct movement in one of them.

Man! Did I ever feel foolish!
he.gif

O.K, y'all can stop laughing now. I'm going to bed.

Y'all can put my name at the top of the "STUPID ROOKIE MISTAKES" list, in red size 70 type. I screwed up so bad even I don't believe it!

I went back to see if I could come up with something that would let me get a decent pic to post for you guys. I found one of my original DIY candlers that had a hole just the right size to support an egg w/o me having to try to balance an egg in my hand with the "good" candler on top while I tried to get a picture.

The 1st egg I re-candled happened to have an air cell the same size as the "business end" of the candler, so that I couldn't see it. All I could see was a large open space about halfway down the shell to the dark mass taking up the remainder of the shell. I mistook all that open space for air cell! I ended up candling every egg again, finding the same thing in all but a few, where the actual air cell was either not quite centered or was a bit larger. I even detected distinct movement in one of them.

Man! Did I ever feel foolish!
he.gif

O.K, y'all can stop laughing now. I'm going to bed.
I'm glad the eggs are doing ok after all!
clap.gif

Y'all can put my name at the top of the "STUPID ROOKIE MISTAKES" list, in  red size 70 type. I screwed up so bad even I don't believe it!

The 1st egg I re-candled happened to have an air cell the same size as the "business end" of the candler, so that I couldn't see it. All I could see was a large open space about halfway down the shell to the dark mass taking up the remainder of the shell. I mistook all that open space for air cell!  I ended up candling every egg again, finding the same thing in all but a few, where the actual air cell was either not quite centered or was a bit larger. I even detected distinct movement in one of them.

Man!  Did I ever feel foolish!  :he

It took me forever to figure out how to candle an egg. The best thing I have bought is the microphone stand and the super flash light. I can finally mark the AC.

O.K, y'all can stop laughing now.  I'm going to bed.

Okay, y'all, here we go

12 eggs, day 7, 1st candling

3-4 have air cells pretty much where they should be
In the rest, the AC's take up half the egg

I'm guessing the humidity being all over the map for several days is the culprit.
I've been trying to keep it around 35%, but it's been 40% or more, even up to 50% for extended periods more than once

I can't find in the notes how to correct the problem, but I'm thinking I need to run way below normal RH & see if they straighten out.
That sound right, or am I bass-akwards?

Didn't want to leave the lid off any longer, but I can get a couple pics, maybe, if the description above isn't enough.

AC that take 1/2 the egg means that the egg lost TOO much humidity! You HAVE to rise up the humidity!
Poot more water reservoir of water and rise the evaporation surface by entering some sponge or cloth in the water!

Last edited:
I got one duckling out now.... Several pips and a couple more slow zippers.... Humidity got a bit high for a while... But I've got it back down to 70%.... Hopefully a second one will be out Soon as I don't want to take a single duckling out by itself. I set an alarm. (Not that I sleep much anyway) so I'll be up early to check on the little guys I'm more worried now than last hatch mostly because I didn't have any expectations last hatch... Oh crap I just pulled a Woodtick off my leg yuck....

Last edited:
I got one duckling out now.... Several pips and a couple more slow zippers.... Humidity got a bit high for a while... But I've got it back down to 70%.... Hopefully a second one will be out Soon as I don't want to take a single duckling out by itself. I set an alarm. (Not that I sleep much anyway) so I'll be up early to check on the little guys I'm more worried now than last hatch mostly because I didn't have any expectations last hatch... Oh crap I just pulled a Woodtick off my leg yuck....

I hate ticks. That was the main reason we got chickens. So they would eat the ticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom