Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

Quote:
but since it's not a "reg" egg Kathy what day to you think? Muscovy's are abby normal is that what your sayin?

What I need to figure out is what day a chicken egg looks the same and then maybe I could extrapolate what day the Muscovy egg is. Either way, the remaining eggs are closer than I though, lol. My pictures were taken on the 12-19-13, so if they were normal duck eggs they would have hatched by now.

-Kathy

Here they are:

This is dead

This one is alive

This one is alive, but a little behind the one above

This one is way behind the two above

-Kathy

Leave it to Kathy to come to my rescue! :) Thank you! The pictures are a huge help and none of mine look anything like that! Sigh.

Ms Lydia - Thank you. Clearly, I was wrong...although I did see a youtube video, the advice to lower the humidity came from the link you sent me, which I have read. It's very helpful also - thank you!

I guess I will keep trying - as long as my beautiful little Zippy keeps laying!

Another question: Do you think I "ruined" her perhaps wanting to sit on the eggs by removing them as she lays them? I let one stay in the nest for half a day, and when she didn't return, I started taking away the eggs as she lays. Should I encourage her to sit on any new ones by slipping the oldest (and clearly "veinless") eggs back in her nestbox?

Many thanks!

Michelle

Remember that duck shells are very thick, so it's possible that you just can't see the veining because your light is not bright enough.

-Kathy

If she is still laying then just leave the eggs she is laying now she'll either go broody or won't, maybe just too early in the season, but they like to have large clutches so as long as they don't freeze I'd leave them and let her decide. Right now I only have 2 ducks laying out of 9 and they aren't the least interested in sitting yet.

Thank you both again!

We just found the brightest flashlight we have and went into the darkest room we have:

#1 - Don't see anything
#2 - Looks like the yolk is broken
#3 - Veins
#4 - GOOD veins
#5 - Light veins?
#6 - No veins, but we can see a little red "dot"
#7 - Clear (7-10 may be clear because they are too "young"?)
#8 - Clear
#9 - Clear
#10 - Clear

I weighed #1 yesterday and #2 today. #1 lost 3.7% and #2 lost 4.8%. If I understand correctly, that's too much and I should increase the humidity a little...right?

Michelle

I haven't a clue on humidity, but hope to learn.
big_smile.png
My most recent hatching experiment didn't go well, 9 live out of 17 fertile, viable eggs.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom