incubator ideas! post your ideas for home made incubators, whether they work or not~

I did a hot water heater thermostat mod as shown in the link below and could not believe how steady the temps stayed. I used a light bulb for heat and the temp swings were always 2-3 degrees before doing the mod. After the mod the temps were within a half degree. Try it you'll like it.

Do not know what kinda Hair Dryers were talking about ?.But I looked at My wifes and she got 3 they range from 750W to 1500W.Thats a lot of heat versus a couple of 40W bulbs ...cva34
yes it is, so they wont take long to heat the bator and will help keep an even temp.just remember to add a heat shield behind them

Last edited:
yes it is, so they wont take long to heat the bator and will help keep an even temp.just remember to add a heat shield behind them

I found a small compact hairdryer with a two speed fan at the resale shop. Is there a reason to disassemble it? I mean, it already has a cord, I could cut and wire that into the modified water heater thermostat. If I attached a holder for hairdryer with a heat shield - it should be safe. The hairdryer has a built in fan so, would I need to wire in the small computer fan too? I could use the plug end of the hairdryer instead of cutting a good extension cord. My cooler isn't that big so, what is the reason this wouldn't work and be easier?

all i can say is try it. as i dont scavenge my parts

Thanks and I understand. I thought it is worth a try as I have time to play with it this week. I can always order a regular bator heating element before I need it if it doesn't work well. I think I will just use this second cooler bator as my hatching incubator - then I don't have to worry about the expoding light bulbs.

it never hurts to experiment even if the experiment fails you at least learn what wont work.
wink.png

Incubatorwarehouse.com Has a lot of incubator items for building an incubator yourself. I bought 2 of their egg shaped thermometers to go in my incubators, I love them, make it easier for me to get the temps right at the top of the eggs.

I don't think that using a hair dryer will work because the fan runs too fast, A computer fan is better because it has a more gentle air flow to distribute the heat around the incubator. Using the heating element from the dryer may work for heat in the bator but looking at how many watts the dryer puts out versus the light bulb, there's alot of over kill. I used a 75watt light bulb in my styrofoam bator for my last hatch and it worked fine, some of the hair dryers put out 1000 watts. Just my .02

Back
Top Bottom