incubator ideas! post your ideas for home made incubators, whether they work or not~

I did a hot water heater thermostat mod as shown in the link below and could not believe how steady the temps stayed. I used a light bulb for heat and the temp swings were always 2-3 degrees before doing the mod. After the mod the temps were within a half degree. Try it you'll like it.

I get the same results by putting the back of the thermostat around 3 inches from the heat source as in this page http://cmfarm.us/WHTincubator.html

Last edited:
Does anyone have a pic of a hairdryer element mounted for use as the heating element for their bator? I scavenged one from my wifes hairdryer, but I am not really sure how I could mount it. My initial thoughts are to keep the fan from the dryer hooked up to it so when the element is on I have that fan to blow directly over the heating element, but I would also keep the computer fan in the bator running non-stop to circulate the heat. I would like to mount the dryer fan/element in a tube. Given it's job to heat things up any type of plastic would seem wrong to use. Using metal though with electricity involved is a dicey experiment in electrical insulation. So any pics of a hair dryer element mounted for use in a bator sure would help.

it never hurts to experiment even if the experiment fails you at least learn what wont work.
wink.png

I found a small compact hairdryer with a two speed fan at the resale shop. Is there a reason to disassemble it? I mean, it already has a cord, I could cut and wire that into the modified water heater thermostat. If I attached a holder for hairdryer with a heat shield - it should be safe. The hairdryer has a built in fan so, would I need to wire in the small computer fan too? I could use the plug end of the hairdryer instead of cutting a good extension cord. My cooler isn't that big so, what is the reason this wouldn't work and be easier?

Well that doesn't work. lol. Too hot - and hairdryer stays hot after it is turned off so, temps rise in bator after ideal temp was reached.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! Thanks ll y'all who said to move the WH thermostat closer to the bulb! I pulled out my eggs and turner and moved the thermostat about an inch from the bulb. Perfect temperature on the first try!

Now all I gotta do is fix my turner and it'll be perfect!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! Thanks ll y'all who said to move the WH thermostat closer to the bulb! I pulled out my eggs and turner and moved the thermostat about an inch from the bulb. Perfect temperature on the first try!
Now all I gotta do is fix my turner and it'll be perfect!
Congrats!!! I just wish mine would read right temps
he.gif
I'm not liking my WH therm right now. At least the frst cooler bator I built is dead on but, that one has a wafer thermostat and no problem getting it right.

mine has worked fine as long as the inside of the egg stays they same temp. it will be good

This is my pile-o-stuff that will soon become my incubator. I really like wattsjadajoe's full view lid. Joe, how do you like it? Does the lid get flimsy at all? If not I will try to make mine as big as I can with the plexiglass I have. I had another idea. How about a built on candler? Has anyone done it? I've never candled an egg in my life. If I attached one to my incubator should it be mounted inside or outside? I would probably use another one of those small 15 watt twist socket lights mounted inside a piece of pvc with a switch and then attach the whole thing to the side of the coolerbator. Waddaya think?

The full view lid is great!! The plexiglass is mounted with liquid nail and mirror holders. The lid on the bator is very sturdy. I like it and it is working great.

As for amps.....amps are amps no mater ac or dc. Most all normal wire you will get is rated for 600volts, so voltage should not be a concern.

It can all be calculated with Ohm's law. P=IxE (P is Power, I is amps, E is Voltage) So 300 watts at 110 volts is 2.7 amps. 300 watts at 12volts is 25 amps. Same thing holds true is the amps remains the same......the voltage or power must change...
The most important issue that most people overlook is the wire size! The wire size must be correct for the amps. Hope this helps.

As far as the candler....I would not install it on the inside. Candling can be done better and easier on the outside of the bator....JMO!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom