Incubator Problems :(

lyndseybr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 12, 2015
So with the temp discrepancy we discovered in my incubator, my electrician hubby put his meter probe inside. He discovered the outside of the inc is consistent with its temp reading. However the centre in reading 5/6 degrees lower. Making that temp about 94. We tried insulating the centre of the lid. It's a forced air inc. how else can we fix this problem? If I raise the temp I will cook my outside eggs! At this rate the inner eggs are too cold. The vents that are open are around the outside where the temp is staying right around 100.
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Last edited:
Did you check the temp at egg level or around the top? The temp at egg level should be 99.5 degrees. If you are checking the temp at the top you may be picking up the radiant heat off of the heating element next to the edges.

Last edited:
Bator thermometer is in the middle of the gap between element and top of egg, my thermometer is tight between the eggs

So with the temp discrepancy we discovered in my incubator, my electrician hubby put his meter probe inside. He discovered the outside of the inc is consistent with its temp reading. However the centre in reading 5/6 degrees lower. Making that temp about 94. We tried insulating the centre of the lid. It's a forced air inc. how else can we fix this problem? If I raise the temp I will cook my outside eggs! At this rate the inner eggs are too cold. The vents that are open are around the outside where the temp is staying right around 100.
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
You can rotate the eggs around from time to time, by moving the outside ones to the center and vice versa. That way each egg won't always be sitting in a hot spot for too long. I usually do this twice a day.

I have been twice a day
There are 6 rows, I switch the middle eggs with the outside eggs.
Outside row is 99.4-99.9 and the middle two are lucky if they stay at 97.
We are trying new things but I think we will stop. IL
I'm concerned about day 18 when I can't move them. I plan on laying them down as close to the outside as possible.

I have been twice a day
There are 6 rows, I switch the middle eggs with the outside eggs.
Outside row is 99.4-99.9 and the middle two are lucky if they stay at 97.
We are trying new things but I think we will stop. IL
I'm concerned about day 18 when I can't move them. I plan on laying them down as close to the outside as possible.
I think they will be fine. My bator has the same issue and so far so good. The first week of my first hatch, I didn't realize my thermometer was wrong, and the temp. stayed at 97-98 for the whole week. It's not too drastic of a difference and you're rotating them around. Some may be a little further developed than others and could all hatch out within a day or 2 difference. When they start hatching, the babies will knock the remaining eggs around anyway and they will be everywhere. Is it your first hatch? How many do you have in there?

Ok. Thanks. I feel a bit better. I'm more dirtied about cold spots. That's why the two outside and the two inside rows are the only ones I'm changing.
This is my second its full with 36. My first hatch was disastrous and very discouraging. I set 12 and got one. It hatched on day 26. I think I understand why. I put them in the middle rows so I could watch. I didn't know that the middle temp was 94-96 degrees. I'm just very worried about it this time

Ok. Thanks. I feel a bit better. I'm more dirtied about cold spots. That's why the two outside and the two inside rows are the only ones I'm changing.
This is my second its full with 36. My first hatch was disastrous and very discouraging. I set 12 and got one. It hatched on day 26. I think I understand why. I put them in the middle rows so I could watch. I didn't know that the middle temp was 94-96 degrees. I'm just very worried about it this time
That's how I was, especially when I found out the temp was all wrong for a week. Some hatched on day 22 and some on day 24. It's better to be a little cooler than too hot. Good luck!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!
fl.gif

What day are you on currently?

Last edited:
Question about incubators. I have a little Giant that has a fan in it and I just bought an egg turner for it. I have noticed that the temperature inside normally is where I set it at, at 99.5--100.5 for chicken eggs. I notice that the temperature will rise to 102.5 or so at times and then drop back down with in a half hour or so. I believe it is due to the egg turner. That little motor gets hot. My question is this, is this temperature increase going to kill my chickens? I have not had any issues with it when setting quail eggs but it seems like those are easier to hatch. I just thought maybe I should just get a temperature controller? Thoughts??

Question about incubators. I have a little Giant that has a fan in it and I just bought an egg turner for it. I have noticed that the temperature inside normally is where I set it at, at 99.5--100.5 for chicken eggs. I notice that the temperature will rise to 102.5 or so at times and then drop back down with in a half hour or so. I believe it is due to the egg turner. That little motor gets hot. My question is this, is this temperature increase going to kill my chickens? I have not had any issues with it when setting quail eggs but it seems like those are easier to hatch. I just thought maybe I should just get a temperature controller? Thoughts??
I also use the Little Giant with turner, except mine is still air. I've noticed that mine does the same thing on occasion. I really don't have a solution for it. I always panic if I see it that high, and I will immediately crack the bator open for a minute. That usually stabilizes it, however, you couldn't do that during lockdown. Mine has never done it during lockdown. Are you also using another thermometer? I would highly recommend you do, if not. I talked to the manufacturer, and their advice was to never go by the readings on the bator, especially for humidity......Go figure....

Back
Top Bottom