Incubators Anonymous

I got a 100% hatch from my last incubator session. That is 100% of the fertile eggs hatched but I only had 3 fertile turkey eggs out of the 27 eggs that were put in the incubator. A certain tom was not doing his job.
Mine are fertile they develop and then quit. Most by day 14.

The turkey eggs are doing great. The chicken eggs not so much. I through collecting turkey eggs. I have more than I need in the incubator. I am thinking if they all sell, I will fill the freezer with young turkeys this fall. The two of us can eat quite well on 30-40 10-12 pound turkeys this winter.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all the losses and non performing roos. @Auroradream26 - I know you hatch a TON, just curious did you absolutely sterilize your brooder area this time around? I ended up loosing a bunch of chicks one time when I added some young ones directly into a bin that still had a couple of older chicks in it, and they dropped one after another. It was a clean brooder, but not STERILE. If you are using actual towels, is there a detergent you are using on those towels? Or is it paper towels? I hope that you haven't lost any more since you posted!!!

@duluthralphie - You also hatch a ton!! Have you been having funky weather that might have affected your humidity or temp? I hope your hatching rates improve!!!

My hatch rates have not been stellar..... but I atribute that to the eggs. One of my friends is providing the turkey eggs and it would spear he has a nutritional issue with at least one of his hens, none of her eggs have made it to hatch recently.
The last two runs we started with 16 eggs and ended with 7 live poults. The time before that we started with 6 eggs and hatched 2, so not great hatch rates. The babies seem to be thriving so once they are out we are ok..... lol
I was having issues with my chicken eggs but I think it was because the eggs I was setting had been under a broody for up to 6ish hours before I got home to collect them, then I would set them on the counter for a couple days before setting them in the bator.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all the losses and non performing roos. @Auroradream26 - I know you hatch a TON, just curious did you absolutely sterilize your brooder area this time around? I ended up loosing a bunch of chicks one time when I added some young ones directly into a bin that still had a couple of older chicks in it, and they dropped one after another. It was a clean brooder, but not STERILE. If you are using actual towels, is there a detergent you are using on those towels? Or is it paper towels? I hope that you haven't lost any more since you posted!!!

@duluthralphie - You also hatch a ton!! Have you been having funky weather that might have affected your humidity or temp? I hope your hatching rates improve!!!

I will try a good sterilizing but I'm not sure if it will make a difference. I always have chicks of different ages together in the brooders but never had an issue. I've been using the same detergent for years now and again, no issues before. I haven't lost anymore since I posted before. Hopefully no more will be lost overnight.

If anyone knows anybody that breeds blrw that might be interested in an egg trade, let me know.

Ralph-I'm sorry that your hatches are still struggling :( My hatches have been doing half decent, it's just keeping them alive that I'm having trouble with. They'll typically live till roughly 2 weeks old then suddenly just wilt and die :(

Good grief, what's going on? I was just posting on a thread where a teacher (?) hatched a bunch in a classroom, and they are all dying... W T H?

My issue this season has been less than ideal CAM development. A couple of shipped batches and even one set of my own eggs. And broodies are scrambling eggs left and right. I check eggs, and they are all sloshy!
Strange things going on...

I just went in and found the last two blrw chicks dead :hit They were both doing fine last night, and even this morning they were looking good. I left for a few hours and when I came back, one was gone and the other was taking its last breaths.

Back
Top Bottom