Incubators Anonymous

I have increased the surface area by adding a snap-on lid which is about 8" x 6" in area, but still the humidity won't go past 40%! It's the styrofoam that is absorbing the humidity and passing it though to the outside, that is the problem.
You will increase the surface are much more by using cloths and sponges. The humidity wick pads do even better.

Bead board has a limit to how much moisture it can absorb. If your humidity is not increasing then you may have a faulty hygrometer, too much air leakage, or just have not increased the water surface area sufficiently.

So sorry @aliciaplus3, he was so handsome! I hope your hatch goes really well! :fl
@WVduckchick You know you probably just jinxed yourself...

:th i didn’t even think of that!

You will increase the surface are much more by using cloths and sponges. The humidity wick pads do even better.

Bead board has a limit to how much moisture it can absorb. If your humidity is not increasing then you may have a faulty hygrometer, too much air leakage, or just have not increased the water surface area sufficiently.

x2. Double check the hygrometer for accuracy first. Salt test.

I have increased the surface area by adding a snap-on lid which is about 8" x 6" in area, but still the humidity won't go past 40%! It's the styrofoam that is absorbing the humidity and passing it though to the outside, that is the problem.

I agree with everyone, double check your hygrometer but also, what kind of incubator is it again? I had an old farm innovators that I had to use masking tape around the edges to control the humidity.

x2 on what others have already mentioned
Remember in a pinch you can always add any type of "on hand" super absorbent material. Water saturated sponges, feminine products, baby diapers, etc. can be added as needed.

So, since my incubator's humidity won't go past 40%........ do you think the eggs can still hatch fine or no? And do you think I can maybe spray the eggs down or dampen it with a wet sponge / cloth to give it some moisture to absorb?

So, since my incubator's humidity won't go past 40%........ do you think the eggs can still hatch fine or no? And do you think I can maybe spray the eggs down or dampen it with a wet sponge / cloth to give it some moisture to absorb?
I've never hatched below 60% humidity, so I can't answer that for you. I would think it would make it very challenging for the chicks. I'd definitely check humidity accuracy. (Test hygrometer or measure with another one. Your humidity could actually be fine & just your hygrometer is at fault.) I'd also keep adding more sponges - even several standing vertically with their bottoms sitting in dishes of water. Anything you can do to increase humidity by increasing the amount of surface area.

I don't recommend spraying eggs directly. (The water could draw in any bacteria on the exterior of the egg.) It would be better to spray the walls of the incubator & let it evaporate from there.

But.... what is the humidity under a broody hen though? I mean, I don't get it..... do we really need high humidity for hatching because I highly doubt eggs under a hen gets to 70% or 80% or whatever ridiculously high percentage humidity that is recommended and they all hatch fine! I think people just overdo things in this world, that's my take on it. And over-exaggerate when it comes to certain things.

But.... what is the humidity under a broody hen though? I mean, I don't get it..... do we really need high humidity for hatching because I highly doubt eggs under a hen gets to 70% or 80% or whatever ridiculously high percentage humidity that is recommended and they all hatch fine! I think people just overdo things in this world, that's my take on it. And over-exaggerate when it comes to certain things.
It's possible they'll be OK, but I just never tried it. What I've done in the past works, so why change it up?

The high humidity makes it easier for the chicks to hatch. If it's too dry, the membrane can dry out, harden, & get tough like shoe leather. (One of the classroom teachers I worked with kept opening her incubator to remove chicks as they hatched. It lowered the overall incubator humidity & some of the hatching chicks became trapped/ shrink-wrapped inside the shell membrane.) When a hen feels her eggs moving & pipping, she stops taking potty breaks to keep the temp constant, she removes more feathers from her breast, and flattens herself down closer to the eggs. The eggs are right against her skin & not just under her. I believe the humidity does increase for the eggs at that time, but I never actually put a hygrometer under her to measure it. The hen also "talks" to her eggs to encourage & bond with her babies, but our incubator eggs have always hatched whether my kids talked to them or not. LOL

Hens have no thermometers, hygrometers, or calenders to track development. They just know when to stop turning and sit tight on their eggs until their clutch is done hatching. They are very serious those last couple days.

what is the humidity in the room the incubator is in? may need to run a humidifier in that room

Back
Top Bottom