Incubators Anonymous

That chicken is adorable! A sebright? *Nvm, read the previous pages
Hello, my name is Alison. It just started with a $20 incubator off eBay, then 2 Janoel 12's, after that a couple of styrofoam bators from TSC and Gebo's plus a small Brinsea. But then I found an old GQF 1202 on craigslist and then there was a slight loss of control on eBay so right now I have a broody hen on quail, pheasant, and turkey eggs, two small incubators full of chicken eggs, an incubator filled with guinea eggs, a few dozen eggs waiting for an incubator, duck, chicken and guinea eggs in the GQF, and ordered a boatload of peafowl eggs off eBay so had to get 2 more larger Brinseas to hold them all. Also there are 5 brooders in my spare bedroom (ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, guineas, turkeys, and chicks), a brooder outside for the goslings, and the broody hen is camped out in a crate in the bedroom as well due to a bobcat mother and kitten eating all of her friends.
I think I need help.
Yes, she's a stubborn little Sebright. I read that they rarely go broody. HaHaHaHaaaa :lau

Trouble can't read, so she doesn't know that! She's too persistent, so I know to just give in and let her have some eggs/chicks. "Rarely broody" must mean 3 xs per year and a refusal to give up on sitting. The fastest way to break her is to let her raise chicks for 7-8 weeks. I've tried cool baths and putting her in a wire bottomed cage for a week. The problem was every time she went back to the flock, she'd be broody again in about 1-2 weeks. She doesn't need 20 chicks, but I figured I'll just sell them. She can live happily in the brooder for a few weeks.

I think you've got me beat! I only have an old Hovabator and my own home-made cooler-bator. I also teach incubation/embryology in several schools, so I use theirs in the spring.

My name is John and I am an incubating addict. My first hatch was April 2018 and every 3 weeks (plus a few days to clean the incubator) I hatch out again.
IMG_0375 copy 2.JPG
I even stack an extra 12 eggs on the side and they end up replacing the rejected eggs in the egg turner on day 10, 5 of those 12 were moved out to a broody yesterday.

Yes, she's a stubborn little Sebright. I read that they rarely go broody. HaHaHaHaaaa :lau

Trouble can't read, so she doesn't know that! She's too persistent, so I know to just give in and let her have some eggs/chicks. "Rarely broody" must mean 3 xs per year and a refusal to give up on sitting. The fastest way to break her is to let her raise chicks for 7-8 weeks. I've tried cool baths and putting her in a wire bottomed cage for a week. The problem was every time she went back to the flock, she'd be broody again in about 1-2 weeks. She doesn't need 20 chicks, but I figured I'll just sell them. She can live happily in the brooder for a few weeks.

I think you've got me beat! I only have an old Hovabator and my own home-made cooler-bator. I also teach incubation/embryology in several schools, so I use theirs in the spring.
You're lucky though! Free incubator services and you don't even have to turn them!
Sounds like you have the perfect job, too. Jealous!

My name is John and I am an incubating addict. My first hatch was April 2018 and every 3 weeks (plus a few days to clean the incubator) I hatch out again.
View attachment 1833321
I even stack an extra 12 eggs on the side and they end up replacing the rejected eggs in the egg turner on day 10, 5 of those 12 were moved out to a broody yesterday.
Looks like you need another incubator and some broody hens!

The hatching is the cheap part.... at least here its feeding all those feathered mouths. But I love em

I hear you on the feeding part. I'm feeling the feed bill now! I'm hoping to do good at the swap this Saturday and I'll be subtracting some extra boys next week.

Back
Top Bottom