Incubators Anonymous

My hatcher is HUGE. I can do a couple of hatches at the same time. Life is just easier if I set eggs just once a week. I have hatching baskets. I put each set of eggs in its own basket. i can do more than one breed if they don't look alike... for example WL in with BLRW. But I can't do BLRW and Rhodebars or Partridge Rocks.... they are all chipmunk striped so just keeps confusion down.

I no longer hatch eggs like this. I use egg trays and keep the eggs upright. I also use shelf liner in the baskets now. I put a paper towel under and the the liner. It keeps splay legs down.

Where did you get that hatcher? Fabulous.
celebrate.gif

DANG NONE OF THE EGGS I HAVE GOT DIDNT HAVE NONE OF THE REQUIRED STUFF......HMMMMMMMMAYBE I NEED TO GET MY FLOCK AND FARM CERTIFIED BEFORE I START SHIPPING...........

It actually depends on which state you are shipping to.  Here is a link to the regulations for the different states.

http://www.guineafowl.com/GeneralStore/regulations.htm

I def didn't sit & read that entire thing, but I scanned a bunch and didn't see a single state that didn't require some kind of certification. Lol Bad part, I've been shipping eggs for a year! I didn't even know they were included in all of that. :/ Does it cost anything to become NPIP certified? I wouldn't mind to do it, but wouldn't be worth spending a fortune. Lol

The cost for the blood testing is covered by the state but to become certified it\'s $50 twice a year. So $100 for the year

thats what it is in pa............still on the fence with it but i amm getting into showing and shipping eggs of multiple species of fowl and to the point i am thinkine g it is time it is worth it....i havE RAN INTO TWICE....FROM LARGER FARMS THAT ARE WELL KNOWN,,,,,IF YOU ARE NOT NPIP CERTIFIED THEY WILL NOT EVEN SALE TO YOU,,,,,,,,HMMMMM

thats what it is in pa............still on the fence with it but i amm getting into showing and shipping eggs of multiple species of fowl and to the point i am thinkine g it is time it is worth it....i havE RAN INTO TWICE....FROM LARGER FARMS THAT ARE WELL KNOWN,,,,,IF YOU ARE NOT NPIP CERTIFIED THEY WILL NOT EVEN SALE TO YOU,,,,,,,,HMMMMM

Oh wow! That's different. I looked up some info for Ky. It says the birds need to be at least 4 months old to test. Which most of mine r, but I have 3 about 3 weeks old from Sheri Minkner! Lol I have nowhere away from the rest of my flock to keep them until they r old enough, once they come off the heat lamp. So idk!!!!

A friend of mine and I just had a great debate/discussion over hatching laying down vs upright. Can you tell me why you did, why you do and how it worked out for you? I have never hatched upright, but as you can see, I have eggs going in the hatcher very soon and would love to hear your experience! And how do you clean the shelf liner?

I tried a test with my last hatch where I put 1/2 upright & 1/2 laying down at lockdown. I didn't see a diff in hatch rate. The side eggs get rolled around a lot as the first chicks pop out. I always get nervous about them being killed in the shell by an enthusiastic sibling. With the upright eggs, they stay in place, but I did have 2 chicks die b/c they pipped upside down.

Back
Top Bottom