Incubators Anonymous

This is my new chick, she was two days early. I think that's what I'll name her, early bird.

Hi there! Been a little busy and just xatching up! Congrats on your early bird in a hurry to see the world..LOL! Any more babies out to keep him company yet????
pop.gif

Been away from this thread for a while (many ups & downs in life), but I wanted to stop by with an update on DD's poultry project.

Last night was another candling event: Day 14. DD really enjoys getting to "peek" at the developing embryos & recording their growth. (The egg pictured is her favorite egg - a silver laced sebright - which is developing well.) DD is also very good at predicting which ones will hatch & noticing any abnormalities like air cell detachment or porous shells. Last year, we did the hatching projects together. This year, she's doing most it herself with almost no help. (Well, I had to acquire the fertile eggs & sell or rehome the hatch results.) This year she is testing broody vs. incubator. The same broody hen who was trial #1, volunteered for trial #2. Once again, the results are equal. One incubator egg was clear & the broody smashed one of her eggs on day 5 before 1st candling. It's funny, but both eggs came from the same hen. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with both eggs. Poor broody got egg all over herself. I removed some of the soiled bedding. Then on day 10, broody hen got mixed up & returned to the wrong nest. Eggs are still developing, so neither event caused problems.

DS is also growing more responsible via his big sister's projects. He has taken one of the chicks as HIS. The little chick even follows him when it's not being held. I believe we'll need to name it soon or he'll keep calling it "Chickie." Thankfully, it's showing no roo-like signs at 4-5 weeks, so he may get to keep it.

Been away from this thread for a while (many ups & downs in life), but I wanted to stop by with an update on DD's poultry project.

Last night was another candling event: Day 14. DD really enjoys getting to "peek" at the developing embryos & recording their growth. (The egg pictured is her favorite egg - a silver laced sebright - which is developing well.) DD is also very good at predicting which ones will hatch & noticing any abnormalities like air cell detachment or porous shells. Last year, we did the hatching projects together. This year, she's doing most it herself with almost no help. (Well, I had to acquire the fertile eggs & sell or rehome the hatch results.) This year she is testing broody vs. incubator. The same broody hen who was trial #1, volunteered for trial #2. Once again, the results are equal. One incubator egg was clear & the broody smashed one of her eggs on day 5 before 1st candling. It's funny, but both eggs came from the same hen. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with both eggs. Poor broody got egg all over herself. I removed some of the soiled bedding. Then on day 10, broody hen got mixed up & returned to the wrong nest. Eggs are still developing, so neither event caused problems.

DS is also growing more responsible via his big sister's projects. He has taken one of the chicks as HIS. The little chick even follows him when it's not being held. I believe we'll need to name it soon or he'll keep calling it "Chickie." Thankfully, it's showing no roo-like signs at 4-5 weeks, so he may get to keep it.
aww how sweet :) I hope it is a hen so he can keep it :) Great work getting the kids involved :)

NICE PIC....

Hi guys. I'm not an incubator addict (yet) but I hope to be. I have never incubated before and I figured that this thread would be a great research place. So could anybody help a future addict. I want to get in a few trial runs before my jubilees start to lay.

Do a google search for Rush Lane Poultry. He has some excellent videos on the net that give a step by step tutorial about making your own bator. There are some new options out there for thermostats. The next time I build, I'll use the (?STX 1000). It is digital, programmable in F or C, and has a temp probe. There are many models out there offered by many companies that appear to be pretty much the same. Check carefully to be sure it offers all of the features and sensitivity you want. Mine even has an alarm that can be set to indicate if temp gets out of range.

Do a google search for Rush Lane Poultry.  He has some excellent videos on the net that give a step by step tutorial about making your own bator.  There are some new options out there for thermostats.  The next time I build, I'll use the (?STX 1000).  It is digital, programmable in F or C, and has a temp probe.  There are many models out there offered by many companies that appear to be pretty much the same.  Check carefully to be sure it offers all of the features and sensitivity you want.  Mine even has an alarm that can be set to indicate if temp gets out of range.  
Brilliant! Thanx!

Ok so I have the go ahead from my dad soon I'm going to start some quail eggs. I know that depending on the type of quail, it can take either 17 days or 23-24 days. Is incubating quail the same as chickens

Do a google search for Rush Lane Poultry. He has some excellent videos on the net that give a step by step tutorial about making your own bator. There are some new options out there for thermostats. The next time I build, I'll use the (?STX 1000). It is digital, programmable in F or C, and has a temp probe. There are many models out there offered by many companies that appear to be pretty much the same. Check carefully to be sure it offers all of the features and sensitivity you want. Mine even has an alarm that can be set to indicate if temp gets out of range.
x2
That was one of my Youtube sources as well! I also liked a written version from Sally Sunshine here on BYC.

I made mine on its side to open in the front. Also got a used pic frame for $1 to make a large viewing window. We're constantly watching the eggs, so why not make them easy to see?
The biggest downside is that an auto-turner won't fit in a cooler. Otherwise, the temps & humidity are very consistent.

Back
Top Bottom