Incubators Anonymous

I, too, am becoming a hatching addict. I know you can buy TSC chicks for about $1 ea. in the spring(which is a lot cheaper than hatching drama. I live in a suburb and wil probably have to sell extra chicks at farm auctions. Right now I have about 10 "barnyard" eggs 2 days from hatch date and am awaiting 5 dozen courtinix eggs to hatch in a local High School. I'm using my unused dog kennel for a coop. Someone just gave me this former school incubator with built in easily.

Hatching is so much more fun though than buying chicks at TSC I always tell my husband they don't have the kind I want there lol. He was the one that told me that Mooch had to come inside because he thought she was getting cold and it was making it harder for her to heal lol. He's such a pushover.

We have 16 turkey and 6 chicken eggs due jan 4th.
35 chicken and over 20 turkey eggs due Jan 11th
Another hatch due jan 18th and we just set over 40 eggs for jan 26th.

Anything I were to incubate right now I would need to put into a brooder in the house. Since I don't have heat in the barn outside and we are getting temps below freezing. I try to time it so that temps are warming up a bit before they are ready to hatch so they can use the brooder in the barn, but it's hard to wait lol.

Anything I were to incubate right now I would need to put into a brooder in the house. Since I don't have heat in the barn outside and we are getting temps below freezing. I try to time it so that temps are warming up a bit before they are ready to hatch so they can use the brooder in the barn, but it's hard to wait lol.
Right now most of what we are hatching is for fair projects for my daughters. Our fair is in july and heritage turkeys need all the time they can get to be competitive in s meat class.

Here's another of my redneck chicken inventions. My
chest freezer quit on me and I was supposed to take it to the dump. Here'e what I did with it. All I have to do is add a bulb and I have a brooder.

Attachments

• IMG_6868[1].JPG
    IMG_6868[1].JPG
    579 KB · Views: 9
Here's another of my redneck chicken inventions. My
chest freezer quit on me and I was supposed to take it to the dump. Here'e what I did with it. All I have to do is add a bulb and I have a brooder.
Very clever.

I had a good chuckle b/c we have the same freezer! (Got it free from someone else's basement when they were cleaning out.) Still works, so no brooder here - yet. LOL

My incubator's still in storage (to prevent me from hatching until spring LOL). However, a few hens went broody so I did get some chicks in the fall. Here's my youngest serama chick at 9.5 weeks. Still rather small, so she'll have to stay that way to help me pretend that I have a fluffy little chick. (Thankfully, she's also silkied, so her feathers look like chick down.)
IMG_1792 (2).JPG

My incubator's still in storage (to prevent me from hatching until spring LOL). However, a few hens went broody so I did get some chicks in the fall. Here's my youngest serama chick at 9.5 weeks. Still rather small, so she'll have to stay that way to help me pretend that I have a fluffy little chick. (Thankfully, she's also silkied, so her feathers look like chick down.)
View attachment 1992567

looks like an intelligent bird!

Started saving eggs. Said I wouldn't but they are laying so well even though it's still cold out. Going to try for an end of February hatch. We'll see how we do. It's still pretty cold outside so may end up having to hold off if it gets too cold since it will effect viability but we'll see what we can get. Currently have a Chocolate Mottled roo over two blue and a lavender hen.

Viability has not been our issue human error has. Turkey eggs are growing nicely, and they are still laying, set to run a test hatch for duck eggs starting tomorrow at the local high school as a FFA class project. Could be a lot of fun, my daughter is in the class and the ducks are her project

Back
Top Bottom