Incubators Anonymous

Quote:
droolin.gif

My name is Deb and I am chicken crazy! I have two cabinet bators, three styrofoam bators and a reptipro. I am building coops on a regular basis but apparently not fast enough for the chickens. Check out my byc page for a list of all my breeds. PM me if your incubator is lonely, I get about three dozen assorted eggs daily:-D

Hello...um.. my name is michael and I am a hatchaholic....sniifff...I have guineas hatching right now and will have buff orphingtons hatching this week. I also have 5 guinea hens sitting on a nest with about 100 eggs and a mommy silkie sitting on a clutch of white silkie eggs....I promised my wife that these will be the last birds of the year but I am lousy at keepiing promises......lord help me...
fl.gif

Hi, my name is Steve.
hide.gif
I can't stop either. I turned my incubator back on Christmas Day,2010, & haven't stopped yet! I'm CONSTANTLY buying more eggs!
ep.gif
WOW! That explains why I have 115 birds & 68 eggs going to hatch!
th.gif

Quote:
Wow and I thought I was bad I only have 37 birds and 12 in the incubator. But you did get started before me I didn't get my incubator until May of 2010 lol. Give me time I will be overrun.

Okay, what do you do with your chicks once you hatch them?
caf.gif

I'm planning on selling chicks that won't fit into the program. At the moment, I'm just hatching replacements for my birds next year. I figure I can make a little bit of money selling layers.

Quote:
The girls seem to be easy to place. There are tons of people in my area that will take girls that aren't wanted but have been raised up a bit past the time for brooder. I have seen them offered for between 3 up to 20 dollars on Craigslist and they are usually snapped up pretty quick. There are also poultry swaps often in each area. Our closest one is about 45 minutes away.

Once they are about 7 or 8 weeks I can usually tell who are boys and girls and they have their adult feathers in and are starting to look like chickens. The boys unfortunately are very hard to place because there tends to be an over population of them everywhere. Anytime you hatch at least 50% can be boys. For me more than 50% are usually boys which makes me want to hatch more so I at least get a few girls to choose from.

For me the excess boys go on Craigslist for a bit just in case someone is looking for a good rooster for their flocks (with pictures of course to show off their cuteness) but if no one has shown any interest by 20 weeks or so then they get processed for my table. Doesn't matter what breed they are they all taste like chicken. Out of the 37 I have right now about 15 are boys. One I am keeping for my main coop. and I will be keeping 3 more one for my main coop and two for my second coop with 12 hens each but not sure which ones. I have to wait for them to grow up a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom