Incubators Anonymous

Quote:
Wow and I thought I was bad because I was getting close to 50. Not sure my husband would like me to have over 100 birds lol. He likes the ones we have but over 100 might be pushing it.

I think 100 layers is insane!!! 50 would be good but we are going to have meat birds and sell chicks and eggs. Chicks are what will send it over the edge. We are going to replace the flock every year, year and half so I have to start my new layers now. Some birds like my Marans may keep some of them longer, we will see. I have plenty of land and an endless supply of pallets!

BTW one of my "suppliers" winters over 400 birds
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow and I thought I was bad because I was getting close to 50. Not sure my husband would like me to have over 100 birds lol. He likes the ones we have but over 100 might be pushing it.

I think 100 layers is insane!!! 50 would be good but we are going to have meat birds and sell chicks and eggs. Chicks are what will send it over the edge. We are going to replace the flock every year, year and half so I have to start my new layers now. Some birds like my Marans may keep some of them longer, we will see. I have plenty of land and an endless supply of pallets!

BTW one of my "suppliers" winters over 400 birds
he.gif

Wow over 400 is unimaginable. Right now with the chickens and other animals I have I have to get up extra early so I have time to take care of them all before work. With over 400 I would have to start the night before lol. We are doing meat birds too. If I counted them then I would have well over 100 but since they head off for camp next Saturday I have already started to think about the chickens without adding them. This will be our last year with Cornish X. Next year we will only be doing dual purpose. I can't wait!!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Here ya go, not the best but they don't like us yet. But they do like the coop
wink.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/92428_dsc03555.jpg

Awe!! That rooster is a fine look'in man isn't he! Are the grown, and laying? Or still just juvies? You're gonna get some super cute babies from them!
bow.gif

~Aspen​

Grown roo and juvenile girls, but they are pinking up. I don't know how old they are but not far from laying I wouldn't think, a couple of months at most.

celebrate.gif

i won 18 dorking eggs on an ebay auction! messaged a couple previous buyers and asked about hatch rates, they said good packing and pretty good hatch (8/12) so... cross fingers i don't *bleep* it up.
fl.gif

Quote:
lol mine still doesn't 'get it'... even tho i did explain that to put enough meat in the freezer for us and the dogs, for a year, it's going to take 120+ birds... plus assorted layers for eggs, and some assorted 'fluffbutts' to keep for the entertainment value.
wink.png

i mean, really! right now with only 3 of the babies laying, it takes 4 days to get enough eggs to make a regular '3 egg' omlett!

even with all the hens laying every day, it'd still take over a day just for 1 meal.

waiting to hear back from the EE lady on her eggs... but i should get the marans and dorkings about the same time.
smile.png

Quote:
Awe!! That rooster is a fine look'in man isn't he! Are the grown, and laying? Or still just juvies? You're gonna get some super cute babies from them!
bow.gif

~Aspen

Grown roo and juvenile girls, but they are pinking up. I don't know how old they are but not far from laying I wouldn't think, a couple of months at most.

Yep, they should be laying good by spring.

~Aspen

Quote:
lol mine still doesn't 'get it'... even tho i did explain that to put enough meat in the freezer for us and the dogs, for a year, it's going to take 120+ birds... plus assorted layers for eggs, and some assorted 'fluffbutts' to keep for the entertainment value.
wink.png

i mean, really! right now with only 3 of the babies laying, it takes 4 days to get enough eggs to make a regular '3 egg' omlett!

even with all the hens laying every day, it'd still take over a day just for 1 meal.

waiting to hear back from the EE lady on her eggs... but i should get the marans and dorkings about the same time.
smile.png

I have not even thought about how many meat birds we will need
he.gif
not a full years worth
barnie.gif
we will still be getting the cooked ones from Sam's for $4.99
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom