Incubators Anonymous

ok, my hatching addiction now has a reason to continue...

raccoons got into my baby and broody pens last night, wiping out nearly ALL my babies.

my duelling broodies went from 16 to 2, all my loud calico cochins are gone as are all my self blues, except 1.

they didn't touch the mutt easter eggers.

so now i need eggs to hatch.

thankfully i didn't put my black broody cochin outside because her smallest (lost yesterday) was able to walk thru the 1" wire... and she is being the BEST momma ever, adding newly hatched chicks to her week old ones, and she just took the 2 left from my other broody cochins too.

so tonight all the broodies won't be broody anymore except my black girl who's still in the house. they'll be relocated to the big coop and locked up tight. in place of chicks and broodies those raccoons are going to find a 'dinner' waiting for them that will have serious side effects.
So sorry!
hugs.gif

raccoons got into my baby and broody pens last night, wiping out nearly ALL my babies.

my duelling broodies went from 16 to 2, all my loud calico cochins are gone as are all my self blues, except 1.

thankfully i didn't put my black broody cochin outside because her smallest (lost yesterday) was able to walk thru the 1" wire... and she is being the BEST momma ever, adding newly hatched chicks to her week old ones, and she just took the 2 left from my other broody cochins too.

so tonight all the broodies won't be broody anymore except my black girl who's still in the house. they'll be relocated to the big coop and locked up tight. in place of chicks and broodies those raccoons are going to find a 'dinner' waiting for them that will have serious side effects.
hugs.gif
Oh, I'm sooooo sorry! Those darn coons are a disaster waiting to happen. I'm waiting on my turn. Mine have been out in the coop & run for 2 weeks now and so far nothing except the chickens trying to dig out. What's with that? I rechecked my JGs last night & as suspected all except one are goners. That one is only at day six. I'm not checking it again until day 14. My son had to see for himself.

coons can be a real headache. thats why i have dogs to keep them away. I have my tractors that the layers roost in at night plus my breeding pens in the barn. All are shut in and the dogs are let loose at night. They chase away and or "take care of" anything that comes into their yard.

coons can be a real headache. thats why i have dogs to keep them away. I have my tractors that the layers roost in at night plus my breeding pens in the barn. All are shut in and the dogs are let loose at night. They chase away and or "take care of" anything that comes into their yard.
Funny...the only time coons have actually gotten any of mine was when the dog was tied close to the pens
idunno.gif
And we know it wasn't the dog that got them cu where they were pulled thru the fence was where the dog couldn't reach.

That's the problem with coons, they are really smart
They know that the dog can't reach them, that's why I let mine run. I have to take measures to make sure the dogs can't get to the chickens but it is worth it. With them running around I have never had problems with a weasel either. The only time I had problems was when we had the dogs tied up and a cat killed all our ducks one night.

I am having withdrawals. I have had nothing in the hatcher for the last three days with nothing scheduled to go in lockdown until Friday. If it is this bad for a week, it is going to be a looooong winter :rolleyes:

Oh!!!! I'm so nervous I have two pheasant eggs left out of 9 that I started with. They are suppose to hatch this weekend. They are both developed but cant see any movement in them now. I have had so many issues with my bator. I have one egg left out of 6 in the second batch I put in. That one was doing Jumping jacks when I candled this morning!!!! So far so good with that egg. :)

Yikes--that's a lot of damage. I hope the dorkings were safe.
fl.gif

I am having withdrawals. I have had nothing in the hatcher for the last three days with nothing scheduled to go in lockdown until Friday. If it is this bad for a week, it is going to be a looooong winter
roll.png
My incubator is looking a little empty . . . . time to wind down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom