Incubators Anonymous

Yeah that's what I am looking for! I tried Kathy and she won't sell eggs and speckeled hen won't take Pms. I do have another lead on some and I will try a couple of the people you mentioned. Thanks

Let me know if you find some GSBR I might want some too if they are not OUTRAGEOUS! I paid $10 each for my roos at just a few weeks old.

Last edited:
I think only 2 GNH are going to make it now. One died over night.
hit.gif

On a brighter note, I was checking all the baskets and combining the guinea to be moved to their new brooder and I pulled up one basket to see CHICKS
ep.gif
I left the eggs in because I was still using the hatcher so what was it going to hurt. They must have hatched a couple to 3 days late. I got 3 more BLRW (1 Blue and 2 splash) and 1 Lav Am and 1 Split.
clap.gif
that was just the ODDEST hatch I have ever had
hu.gif

I should have put eggs in lockdown today but time got away from me so I will in the morning.

How about some keets for cuteness????

Last edited:
My normal routine with eggs that don't hatch is to hold them up to my ear and tap on them with my fingernail. Then I recandle, then I float test them. If I still have nothing, I pip open the end of the egg and look inside with a flashflight, then open the egg and see what happened.

A couple of hatches ago, I did the tap and float test and nothing on a few eggs (shipped eggs are brutal). I was depressed with the idea of seeing another fully developed dead chick, so I just pulled the eggs out and put them in a carton on the table. The next day, I started picking up the eggs and putting them in a trash bag to dispose of them (they had been sitting on the table for about 36 hours.

I had put about a dozen bad eggs in the bag and thought I heard a very faint peep. (I have very good hearing). I started pulling the eggs back out of the trash bag and holding them up to my ear until I found the one making noise.

I opened the end of the egg and there was a chick, pipped internally but no external pip.

I helped it out of the egg. That was about three weeks ago, I now have a perfectly happy, healthy, very tiny little serama chick running around the brooder with the rest of the chicks. It's name of course is Miracle and it has a home for life.

Deb

I did that sort of with a keet. I took the egg carton out of the basket thought all the eggs had hatched, dumped it in the trash. I was working near the trash and heard a peep.... sure enough it was shrink wrapped. I helped it out and it is fine.

I usually leave eggs in the hatcher if I can, this is just the first time I ever hatched any.

My normal routine with eggs that don't hatch is to hold them up to my ear and tap on them with my fingernail. Then I recandle, then I float test them. If I still have nothing, I pip open the end of the egg and look inside with a flashflight, then open the egg and see what happened.

A couple of hatches ago, I did the tap and float test and nothing on a few eggs (shipped eggs are brutal). I was depressed with the idea of seeing another fully developed dead chick, so I just pulled the eggs out and put them in a carton on the table. The next day, I started picking up the eggs and putting them in a trash bag to dispose of them (they had been sitting on the table for about 36 hours.

I had put about a dozen bad eggs in the bag and thought I heard a very faint peep. (I have very good hearing). I started pulling the eggs back out of the trash bag and holding them up to my ear until I found the one making noise.

I opened the end of the egg and there was a chick, pipped internally but no external pip.

I helped it out of the egg. That was about three weeks ago, I now have a perfectly happy, healthy, very tiny little serama chick running around the brooder with the rest of the chicks. It's name of course is Miracle and it has a home for life.

Deb
What a nice story to hear!

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out why I cannot get even 1 of our friend Tracy's Birchen Maran eggs to hatch....they make it to lockdown and then never pipp....I had 11 of our Dominique eggs in the same incubation tray in the cabinet incubator...put in lockdown together and both died before hatching....I have hatched 10 out of the 11 so far of our Dominiques and the 11th one is pipped...so maybe 11 out of 11 are going to hatch.....the last time I had 3 of his eggs and none hatched....I hatched over 60 EE's in that hatch out of 69 eggs but none of the Marans hatched....I tried raising the humidity a little on this hatch and the Dom's still hatched fine but Marans no luck..... I did open the eggs both times....chicks looked fully formed...but had only absorbed about half of the yolk...any ideas on what is going on? He also feeds the same feed that we do.....I just can't figure out for the life of me what is going on......does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks, Kandi

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out why I cannot get even 1 of our friend Tracy's Birchen Maran eggs to hatch....they make it to lockdown and then never pipp....I had 11 of our Dominique eggs in the same incubation tray in the cabinet incubator...put in lockdown together and both died before hatching....I have hatched 10 out of the 11 so far of our Dominiques and the 11th one is pipped...so maybe 11 out of 11 are going to hatch.....the last time I had 3 of his eggs and none hatched....I hatched over 60 EE's in that hatch out of 69 eggs but none of the Marans hatched....I tried raising the humidity a little on this hatch and the Dom's still hatched fine but Marans no luck..... I did open the eggs both times....chicks looked fully formed...but had only absorbed about half of the yolk...any ideas on what is going on? He also feeds the same feed that we do.....I just can't figure out for the life of me what is going on......does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks, Kandi
it sounds like (IMO) your humidity is too high during incubation. if they don't lose enough moisture they're not able to resorb all the yolk as easily since they've already got so much fluid in their systems. AKA wet hatch, drowned in-egg, there's a bunch of terms used for the same situations.

personally, i incubate with less than 20% humidity as often as possible, and then crank it up to 50-60% during lockdown only. in the summer, i add no additional moisture, in the winter i use a small 1/2 cup sized disposable storage container with small holes drilled in the top to keep the humidity right around 10-15%. it took some trial and error to find the perfect fit for my circumstance/situation, but once i figured it out hatch rates have been very good.

I am using the dry hatch method for everything....Usually at around 25-30% ...I had a 100% hatch out of the 11 dominique eggs that were incubated and put in lockdown with them.....(they were even incubated in the same tray) and I am getting a 95 or more percentage hatch on the EE's also in the same bator and locked down at the same time....none of these are having this problem....that's why I don't really think that it's the incubation humidity....or the humidity at lockdown because everything else is hatching better than great...lol Also they are hatching on the 21st day like they are supposed to.... Just his Birchen Maran eggs that are having the problem.... If the others were having the same problem...I would think the same thing but they are not.....so that's what makes me think that it is something else other than the temp or humidity.... Do you really think it is the humidity? If so I will try and get it around 20 but I just don't think it is.... What else could it be? Helllllp...lol

It has ben my experience tht marans are harder to hatch, especially shipped eggs. Seems moisture is held more than other eggs. FInd the Mahonreys 3rd annual hatch a thon, and in the first post is a a great edeal of info on the hatch athon INCLUDING tips. Follow the link to the tips and find ChookChicks information on prepping marans eggs for hatching, a sanding method to release more moisture.

Back
Top Bottom