Incubators Anonymous

Well, I know I've been away awhile. I've had college stuff, work and being mom stuff going on. I wanted to share with some people that actually understand the excitement of incubating and hatching! I have to start by saying that this starts with a dilemma. I thought that my hens were taking notes from my ducks and stashing eggs. Turns out my 10 yr old wanted her broody hen to hatch some chicks. Well, said hen decided that she changed her mind and didn't want to be broody any more. I couldn't just turn them away especially when my daughter handed all four of them to me with alligator tears in her eyes. So, the bator is going. I have no clue how far along these eggs are. They are Ameraucana Australop mix. I can't see through the green shell, but judging by the air sac with a few large veins they have to be 14-16 days.

It doesn't stop there...I got the 'itch' to hatch. Being the addict that I am...I now have (4) buff/blue/golden laced standard Cochins and (6) white laced bantam Cochins at 13 days. (8) Brahma Ameraucana mix at 5 days. (1) black Ameraucana at 5 days. (6) BBS English Orpingtons at 5 days. Yesterday, I ordered 10+ wheaten Ameraucana. Today, I ordered 10+ buff laced Brahmas. That is all. I promise. Really. Now, the fun part...telling my husband we have to add on to the run. I don't think he will be too excited about that. Thankfully, I have some homes lined up.

Well I have a second broody and she's a grumpy one. Dh said something to the effect of not caring if she hatched out 3 or 4 chicks so now I have to decide if I want to quickly buy some eggs or break out the food coloring for the hens whose eggs I'd want to put under her......decisions decisions. I already stole 5 out of the incubator for my broody silkie.
I put hens in a dog crate for a day, or until she drops her egg, and then let her out. Works to get one egg, then I can ID her eggs from there.

I'm sure your silkie is happy!!
big_smile.png

Quote: x2-- I practiced for months before buying black copper maran eggs in NOVEMBER, way to late to be hatching in NE.
Ok so I ended up just buying a bator. I am trying to get all the temps and humidity right. I don't know if its just me but holy moly its been very humid here lately. I plugged it in with no water and it was at 65% .
I am going to tinker with it for a few days and then start my journey
smile.png
I read all the rules and am ready to hatch away . I LOVEEEE this site everyone is so polite and helpful
woot.gif
Welcome to the Incredible Journey!! ( we are all in this together!!) Try using a dehumidifier or AC. FOr me the AC worked better as it didn't add heat into the already 80 degree room. Also if you just cleaned the thing it will run high on RH until dry.
Well, I know I've been away awhile. I've had college stuff, work and being mom stuff going on. I wanted to share with some people that actually understand the excitement of incubating and hatching! I have to start by saying that this starts with a dilemma. I thought that my hens were taking notes from my ducks and stashing eggs. Turns out my 10 yr old wanted her broody hen to hatch some chicks. Well, said hen decided that she changed her mind and didn't want to be broody any more. I couldn't just turn them away especially when my daughter handed all four of them to me with alligator tears in her eyes. So, the bator is going. I have no clue how far along these eggs are. They are Ameraucana Australop mix. I can't see through the green shell, but judging by the air sac with a few large veins they have to be 14-16 days.

It doesn't stop there...I got the 'itch' to hatch. Being the addict that I am...I now have (4) buff/blue/golden laced standard Cochins and (6) white laced bantam Cochins at 13 days. (8) Brahma Ameraucana mix at 5 days. (1) black Ameraucana at 5 days. (6) BBS English Orpingtons at 5 days. Yesterday, I ordered 10+ wheaten Ameraucana. Today, I ordered 10+ buff laced Brahmas. That is all. I promise. Really. Now, the fun part...telling my husband we have to add on to the run. I don't think he will be too excited about that. Thankfully, I have some homes lined up.
lol--- yup-- line uphomes or make a little money via craigs list.

Quote:
IMO your humidity is still way too high, which will result in poor hatch rates because the eggs can't lose enough moisture for the chicks to be able to hatch properly. aka drowned chicks.

our humidity outside right now is around 70%. in my incubators, with NO water added, i'm running about 20% right now.

Last edited:
IMO your humidity is still way too high, which will result in poor hatch rates because the eggs can't lose enough moisture for the chicks to be able to hatch properly. aka drowned chicks.

our humidity outside right now is around 70%. in my incubators, with NO water added, i'm running about 20% right now.
how do I lower the humidity there is no water in it. :(

Back
Top Bottom