Incubators Anonymous

I worked hard and spent a lot of money to get this wonderful problem:gig Maybe I need to sell some on eBay. I guess that is next on the agenda. My latest structure is a quail breeding pen, got the frame built and started cutting plywood for the back and sides. Anyone else building?

Quote:
Have you candled your Silver Sussex eggs to see if they're fertile?

~Aspen

I just put them in, and I don't candle until day ten. They had better be fertile, four roosters and three hens!:-D

Let me know when you candle, pretty please!
love.gif

~Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
Just had two keets, 1 Light Sussex, 1 EE, and one chick that I helped out. Please keep your fingers crossed for the little guy!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

~Aspen

Fingers crossed tight!
fl.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

PS have fresh lavender available (or essential oil) for sniffing, when ur stomach lurches (it will help settle it)...the truth of commercial food is absolutely gut-wrenching.

I agree I have decided never to go back. If I could make my own pasta I would never shop again lol.

The movie is on it's way. Thanks!
smile.png

Quote:
I'm allergic to "chickens" according to the allergist! I keep up my meds to manage it. Today is itchy eye day. Loratadine is a sure fix for itchy eyes. Flonase for all days.

I shut off my incubator yesterday.
sad.png
Looking forward to next spring.

I cleaned mine out and stored it today as well
hit.gif
Can't build any more coops as fall has arrived and the rain is coming down. Soon the snow will be here too.
Already feeling withdrawl pains....
hit.gif

Rethought my last post
tongue.png
There are some Frizzles on the auction and I just bid on them. They are sooo cute. I am so weak to my addiction, I just want them all
love.gif

So what if it's going to snow! I do have a garage, and I can build another coop in there
woot.gif

I can't believe I never found this thread before. Alas, I too am a hatching addict.... so many beautiful eggs and chicks out there! I couldn't help but put 10 more eggs in the incubator, just two weeks ago. I know it's already probably too cold to be hatching new chicks, but this is it for the year-- I promise! I have an interesting cochin cross rooster who has birchen coloring, the feet, wings and blue ears of a silkie, and some crazy feathering that is beyond frizzle (I think he is a curly)-- so I just HAD to check to see if he would produce all frizzle offspring. The eggs I set are pale blue and aqua-- Mommas are a pure black Ameraucana and a splash Auracana/EE. Lockdown is Tuesday the 11th-- everyone looks great so far! Wish me luck!!

I think I am going to need a third coop so I have a place to put the peanuts gang and any other birds that become packing peanuts in the future lol. That way I don't need to disturb the egg laying coops with meaties as they come along.

well i had no internet the last 36 hours, but its back! now i can continue feeding my addiction thru you guys. 8)

candled the eggs last night (day6) and only pulled 2 bantam 2 dorking and 1 EE egg from the bator... wow. for shipped eggs even! (except the bantam).

i still can't tell on the marans eggs but i don't think they're developing. 1 shows a *BIT* of tint possibly but they're so dark i just can't tell. so they stay in.

and even the eggs i pulled, started developing and then went poof. faint blood lines in all 5. i've got a couple others that look iffy too.

the EE are doing great tho, even tho the air cells were ALL mangled badly. it looks like the dorking eggs are a bit behind, but the EE's sat in my warm mailbox all afternoon the day i got them, and even tho i didn't incubate for a day or so, i think that might have put them ahead some. same for the bantams, they got sat on before pulling, even just while the other hens went in to lay.

so for... 35 shipped dorking/ee eggs, i have 32 still in the 'bator. and like i said, the 5 marans too. (and 9 bantams!) and the turner only holds 42... so... hm. ok so i'll just blame chicken math.

first time incubating in over 15 years, first time ever with shipped eggs... and they told me that 20-50% is good for shipped... so i planned ahead.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom