Incubators Anonymous

From Common Poultry Myths by http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page21.htm Medicated Starter with Amprolium or Bacitracin in it will NOT harm your waterfowl. I have confirmed this with two Poultry Research Veterinarians. I have used medicated starter on all of my birds for years now – chicks and ducklings alike – and have had no problem. This myth was actually once true years ago when different types of drugs were used in medicated feeds. But with the use of Amprolium in particular now, it is no longer a concern. Since waterfowl can also suffer from Coccidiosis when first placed on grass (or even in a coop since you can walk the oosysts in on your shoes), medicated feed can provide protection against Cocci until your ducks have built immunity, just like chickens. Bacitracin is sometimes (but not always) included in medication for the prevention of enteritis. Bacterial enteritis is a bigger concern for waterfowl breeders than it would be for chicken because of the fact that the very nature of a duck is to drink the same water that they bath (and do other things) in. Since I’ve had my youngsters on medicated feed, I have not had a single noticeable case of either Coccidiosis or Enteritis, in either my waterfowl or my chickens. Another point on medicated feed – the amount of Amprolium is so minute as a percentage of the feed, that it is not considered a cure, and actually will allow a mild case to occur, helping the bird to develop a resistance to it in the future. There are medicated layer feeds with Amprolium alone in it that are approved for that particular use.
Thanks Oz ;-)

I have a compulsion problem that requires me to provide counter-argument to statements. Not to prove wrong but to increase knowledge. Its always your choice to heed any advice on a website. I encourage people to do their own research.
I will add that I dont feed my ducks medicated feed - but if it is all i had at home, it would be better than bread.

Oh I almost forgot!! 4 more BCM hatched today!! Muscovy hen was helping.
hmm.png
Momma marans was nNOT happy. ANd neither was I when I felt the cold eggs of the muscovey!! Her eggs are now in the incubator. Clearly she is sharing the nest with the marnas hen now. TIght squeeze!

( FBCM chicks moved to a brooder.)

Last edited:
Oh I almost forgot!! 4 more BCM hatched today!! Muscovy hen was helping.
hmm.png
Momma marans was nNOT happy. ANd neither was I when I felt the cold eggs of the muscovey!! Her eggs are now in the incubator. Clearly she is sharing the nest with the marnas hen now. TIght squeeze! ( FBCM chicks moved to a brooder.)
I had left 2 of my broodies out in the barn since the broody pens are full but my BS turkey was trying to share with a very unhappy cochin. The BS is bunking with the Rio Grands for now, they have a flight pen she cant get out of. Not sure if she will try to brood in there or not. I will give her a bunch of guinea eggs if she does, or maybe I'll set a couple more RG eggs and see if I can sell the 5 I already hatched in the bator. Seems all my broodies are on guineas, well almost. I have the BR turkey on muscovy and some of my Welsumer eggs under a Cuckoo Marans. I have 6 broodies, that I know of ;-/. My little Cubalaya hen has 3 keets this morning. She is Mean!!

From Common Poultry Myths by http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page21.htm Medicated Starter with Amprolium or Bacitracin in it will NOT harm your waterfowl. I have confirmed this with two Poultry Research Veterinarians. I have used medicated starter on all of my birds for years now – chicks and ducklings alike – and have had no problem. This myth was actually once true years ago when different types of drugs were used in medicated feeds. But with the use of Amprolium in particular now, it is no longer a concern. Since waterfowl can also suffer from Coccidiosis when first placed on grass (or even in a coop since you can walk the oosysts in on your shoes), medicated feed can provide protection against Cocci until your ducks have built immunity, just like chickens. Bacitracin is sometimes (but not always) included in medication for the prevention of enteritis. Bacterial enteritis is a bigger concern for waterfowl breeders than it would be for chicken because of the fact that the very nature of a duck is to drink the same water that they bath (and do other things) in. Since I’ve had my youngsters on medicated feed, I have not had a single noticeable case of either Coccidiosis or Enteritis, in either my waterfowl or my chickens. Another point on medicated feed – the amount of Amprolium is so minute as a percentage of the feed, that it is not considered a cure, and actually will allow a mild case to occur, helping the bird to develop a resistance to it in the future. There are medicated layer feeds with Amprolium alone in it that are approved for that particular use. [/quo X2. I have also researched this and have talked with people who raise Runne4 Ducks. It is ok to feed them medicated feed.

Please help me!

Our stupid plumber tripped our electric today while I was at work and my 18 eggs went without power for 6 hours. When I switched it back on it was 23C inside.
Today is day 18, they were due to hatch on my birthday :(

Are they all goners????

Back
Top Bottom