Incubators Anonymous

I think my 'refrigerated egg test' may already be a bust. Went out to check for eggs and she had all 6 eggs pushed almost all the way out in a circle around her body. Only 1 was *under* her.
roll.png
What are your temps like there? I have a hen who does that when it is real hot, the rest of the hens tend to stand over the eggs or just sit next to them for a while.

my roos are usually fertile when they start mounting pullets. I do find that older girls are better at avoiding new roos. some hens and pullets never submit.

sometimes fertilitiy will depend on the lines. wyandottes have been 9-12 months and sometimes never. my GSBR was about 11 months. I do also fine eggs less fertile when it is hot....but again that would be too dependent. some roos never slow down he he

4 months is young and he may still need to master his skills. they have to learn how.....

I like your roos too ;)~ I will post a pic of my new roo as soon as I can.

I woke up this morning to pips:) Day 22 and I now have 7 pips out of my 7 brahma mixes. My English Orpingtons look like they have stopped. The air sacs haven't changed in any of them. Well, I'm not counting yet. I know temp can alter the day they hatch, but can misshaped air sacs do that too? My temp has been 99.5-100 F. That 's right. My humidity has stayed around 45. It's 65-70% now. Let's cross our finders and see what we get.

my roos are usually fertile when they start mounting pullets. I do find that older girls are better at avoiding new roos. some hens and pullets never submit.

sometimes fertilitiy will depend on the lines. wyandottes have been 9-12 months and sometimes never. my GSBR was about 11 months. I do also fine eggs less fertile when it is hot....but again that would be too dependent. some roos never slow down he he

4 months is young and he may still need to master his skills. they have to learn how.....

I like your roos too
wink.png
~ I will post a pic of my new roo as soon as I can.

i'm excited to see your new roo
smile.png

Well I just snuck out in the dark and switched roos to try for some fertile marans eggs. First time i have handled my big roo Twizzler in months he was pretty disgruntled... LOL!!!! Blue is in with the big girls now...he will have to work hard to mate them they are wise and wily :)...

I think my 'refrigerated egg test' may already be a bust. Went out to check for eggs and she had all 6 eggs pushed almost all the way out in a circle around her body. Only 1 was *under* her.
roll.png

When the temps started hitting 100 in the afternoons my Muscovy girls just stood over the egg pile, not touching any of them and panted. When it cooled off they sat back down. So maybe the same with chickens; they might know that sitting on them in that kind of heat would overcook them? As it is the scovies hatched almost 5 days early

If any one is interested in turkey eggs, sweet grass or bourbon Reds, please contact me about getting some soon. These girls usually stop laying by mid AUgust.

3 sweet grass poults and a wet BR poult just out.

Bourbon Red: Thomas Edison

Sweetgrass Jake

Back
Top Bottom