Incuview Incubator

Pics
We've been running the Incubator about 12 hours now. We live in an antique farm house, and our bedroom is heated by electric heat. The temperature went down to 19 degrees last night, and our room temperature went down to 64. When we woke up this morning, the incubator was at 95 degrees with the heater reading @ 99 to 100%. So we have now upped our electric heat to be 71 degrees in the room and sure enough the incubator is higher on its interior temperatures.

What puzzles us is that we have to external thermometers with probes inside. While the probes are not in exactly the same place they and the built-in thermometer are all reading three different temperatures. Does that mean that the eggs will have an average temperature within? Should I be stressing over this? If so, how do I adjust?

We've been running the Incubator about 12 hours now. We live in an antique farm house, and our bedroom is heated by electric heat. The temperature went down to 19 degrees last night, and our room temperature went down to 64. When we woke up this morning, the incubator was at 95 degrees with the heater reading @ 99 to 100%. So we have now upped our electric heat to be 71 degrees in the room and sure enough the incubator is higher on its interior temperatures.

What puzzles us is that we have to external thermometers with probes inside. While the probes are not in exactly the same place they and the built-in thermometer are all reading three different temperatures. Does that mean that the eggs will have an average temperature within? Should I be stressing over this? If so, how do I adjust?
Testing(not calibrating as you probably cant adjust it) your thermometers against a known accurate thermometer and noting the differences for when you take your readings is about all you can do. Human(baby?) thermometers are probably the most accurate available in a retail setting and that is reflected in their price, what you are paying for is that tight tolerance on calibration. So yes, it's a bit of a guessing/averaging game.

Right about calibrating temperature. I plan to use the methods that are outlined on Hatching 101 to test my thermometer against freezing using ice cubes today. We have had this Taylor indoor outdoor thermometer for a couple of years and found it very reliable, but we've not been trying to get within a degree of a constant. So I want to make sure using ice that it reads at 32 degrees.

I'm finding that our bedroom has very low humidity (in the low 20% range), and with the vent out and the fan running the incubator is going through humidity very quickly. I am wondering how I'm going to keep the humidity relatively stable. Again, I'm thinking that trial and error over the next few days will help me out. I'm off to get a measuring cup from the kitchen so that I know exactly how much water I am adding each time. Then I plan to keep written records, so I can figure out how my specific Incubator in these specific conditions is operating.

Last edited:

Sounds like your incubator does not have enough heating element to keep it up to temp----when the room temp drops-----which "I" would not like at all. Instead of heating your room several degrees higher, you could make a small area to keep the incubator in and heat only that area or add a little "extra heat" inside the incubator if you have the room. Some people wrap the incubator---just can not block the vent holes.

Thats what I liked about my cabinet incubators---they were in a unheated building----if it was 20 or 100 outside that building the temp in the incubator was always the same.

Last edited:
If you have 2 thermometers with probes----put them side by side and as close to the built in sensor to compare---see how close they read. If they are real close when put together then your incubator has some "cold/hot" spots. Being the room is cooler----the area inside closest to the outside could read a littler cooler.

Right about calibrating temperature. I plan to use the methods that are outlined on Hatching 101 to test my thermometer against freezing using ice cubes today. We have had this Taylor indoor outdoor thermometer for a couple of years and found it very reliable, but we've not been trying to get within a degree of a constant. So I want to make sure using ice that it reads at 32 degrees.

I'm finding that our bedroom has very low humidity (in the low 20% range), and with the vent out and the fan running the incubator is going through humidity very quickly. I am wondering how I'm going to keep the humidity relatively stable. Again, I'm thinking that trial and error over the next few days will help me out. I'm off to get a measuring cup from the kitchen so that I know exactly how much water I am adding each time. Then I plan to keep written records, so I can figure out how my specific Incubator in these specific conditions is operating.
I used a candy thermometer to test to boiling and freezing....wider range but<shrugs> only knowns I had.

Ya just gotta play with lots of variables and use common sense after that to get as close as you can.

The Incuview also has an option where you can tell it what the average room temp is, and it will compensate for it.

Really? How do you set that? Using our electric heat, we can keep the room fairly constant.

I moved the bator to a different spot in the room, and it's been holding steady all morning.

PD: I'd love to have a cabinet incubator, natch. Can't afford it, though, so making the best of this one is my only option.

Thanks, all!

Really? How do you set that? Using our electric heat, we can keep the room fairly constant.

I moved the bator to a different spot in the room, and it's been holding steady all morning.

PD: I'd love to have a cabinet incubator, natch. Can't afford it, though, so making the best of this one is my only option.

Thanks, all!
On the back page of the setup and assembly guide, there are instructions for adjusting the incubator's settings.

Back
Top Bottom