Incuview Incubator

Pics
We just got one of these and have set our first batch of eggs!  :)   We set small eggs (Serama) and the automatic turner isn't really 'turning' them.  They're just scooting along side-to-side so we're having to hand turn them anyway which kinda defeats the purpose.  We didn't notice this 'scooting' rather than turning right away - when we candled them a few days ago they were definitely developing 'stuck' on one side of the shell.  I have since been hand turning them and trying to get them to develop more evenly in the shell (if that makes sense).

Are these developing eggs goners now?  :(

One of the reasons we got this one was that you could supposedly use it with quail and other small eggs.  Anyone  have advice for us?  Otherwise we're happy with it (temp and humidity holds well and the view is great.

I had this same concern when I set some bantam eggs. If you go back to post 199 you can read my experience. It turned out to be fine once I got past my panic. I just realized that's how it works. If I recall, I had an 85% hatch rate, and that was with shipped eggs.

This incubator saved one of our little chicks this weekend. We had a broody hatch a couple eggs. This little guy fell out of the nest and I found him in the middle of the coop buried with pine shavings, cold, and barely breathing. I had the incubator running so I put him in it to warm up but I expected him not to make it. 20 minutes later he perked up and I put him back with mom. He is doing great now.

I've run my incuview non stop since I got it in the mail in late September and have had about 90% hatches the whole time. I move them to another bator for hatch which is a jn 48 and I hate it but for lack of funds I haven't been able to buy another incuview for a hatcher. My house has the insulation factor of a **** tent and that thing holds steady temp like a champ! Probably the best buy of 2014 for me!

I'm on day 13 on my first go with my new incuview. I'll be sure to post the results. So far so good it seems, but it's hard to tell for sure as they are super dark eggs :)

Well phooey!

Package arrived yesterday and after an easy assembly I fired it up for a test run. It heated quickly to 90 degrees or so then I noticed the fan was slowing down. A couple minutes later the fan stopped and the unit quickly started to smell hot. I immediately unplugged it and took the cover off to cool it. I made the mistake of touching of of the four ceramic heating elements and it burned my finger, no blister but still hurt like you know what. It also got hot enough to warp the plastic fan guard in that short time.

I let it set for about 6 hours and thought I'd plug it in again and monitor it more closely to see if I could find out what was going on. As soon as the unit was plugged in a "T: Error" was displayed for no more than a second before going to the temperature and heater percentage readings. The fan was running and again it quickly heated to the 90's. I noticed all along that the fan was every so slowly getting slower until it stopped at 95.9 degrees. Before reaching for the plug and unplugging I noticed an error flash on the monitor quickly. I think I got it right "V4+ IW12". I didn't touch the ceramic this time ;)

Pretty bummed as I am working with a breeder of Mille Fleur bantams and was hoping to have them cooking in time to hatch on my wife's birthday in January. Hopefully Monday when I call them they can get a replacement part to me quickly.

I read somewhere awhile back on BYC to test the incubator before getting the eggs. I'm glad I followed that advice.

So I finally set my first batch yesterday (12/20/14). I could not be more happy with it's performance so far.
I did have a little problem when I first ordered it. I ordered it Thanksgiving night, I posted the sale they were having earlier in the thread, and was extremely surprised to receive it the following Monday. I ordered typical Black Friday stuff that night as well and didn't receive it as fast. I could not be happier with their shipping and handling procedures. The problem I had was that the unit arrived damaged. Obviously there are a lot of factors involved so I can not hold them responsible for that. I can hold them responsible for how they react to the situation. Wow! I could not be happier with that either. After emailing them Monday night, I received an email from them Tuesday morning with three solutions. Option one: have them send me a new lid ASAP. Option two: having them send me a new heating/fan unit (that's the only part that was actually damaged). Option three: having them ship me a replacement lid with a few blemishes ASAP. I thought it was cool to offer me the options versus them telling me what they were going to do for me. I opted to have them ship me a brand new replacement lid. I had the new lid at my door before weeks end. I packaged up the damaged pieces and shipped them back with the return label they provided.
I quickly set the incubator up and monitored it's performance. I played around with water levels and locations in the house to find optimum performance. I decided to build it a holder of sorts just to ensure it stays warm through the night as we have had days in the low 30's. That's not to say the incubator can't do the job, but more of a self reassurance factor. After placing it in it's final resting spot, I made sure the temp and humidity were holding steady, and finally set some eggs. I set 29 total eggs. 25 are standard sized eggs and four are bantam eggs. Amongst the lucky chosen are Easter eggers, Cuckoo Marans barn yard mixes, OEGB and bantam cochin mixes. My family and I can not be more excited!! I've been checking the incubator like five times a day and everything has been spot on.

Back
Top Bottom