Incuview Incubator

Pics
Just completed our second hatch in the IncuView. First hatch rate was 100% of our most dependable hatching breed (Dutch Bantams), second hatch had a rate of 69%, with a mixture of our Dutch and our least reliable hatching breed, Bantam Wyandottes. We were satisfied with those ratios.

Things I really like about the IncuView:
  • Cleanup is the easiest of any incubator I have used, except maybe the little 7 egg Brinsea Mini Advance. Because of its construction there are only a few places that are not easy to scrub, and its smooth surfaces give you a feeling that it is clean. We sanitize with a Tek-Trol spray, and only need to avoid the electronics--everything else we soak and let air dry.
  • The view is superb. There is no doubt as to what's going on in there.

The things I like:
  • Digital display of temperature and heating power
  • Built-in analog hygrometer, although a digital one would be an improvement
  • Quiet turning mechanism
  • Some customizability in the heating and turning parameters, although a better explanation in the manual would be helpful
  • I am quite fond of side-rolling incubators. No particular reason, but all of them that we currently have are like that.

Things I do not particularly like:
  • Inconsistent temperature distribution. Although I was able to smooth this out somewhat by changing the fan guard and relocating the probe, it took a little analysis. It is now in acceptable range, although I dislike having to "unwind" the probe wires and leave them vulnerable to chick "attack."
  • Turning tray channels are too large for bantam eggs. I know, the hen would not be very precise about its egg rolling, but in the IncuView bantam eggs do end up rolling "cockeyed" at times. I believe that this has caused an unusually high frequency of pipping at the wrong end of the egg (aka, malpositions). Now, my evidence is not backed up by hard data, but we are seeing a few more instances of mid- to small-end external pips, as well as malpositioned embryos (we always do eggtopsies). It could be a coincidence, but it could be the rolling pattern, as there are times when the egg's small end gets "jacked up" on the turner edge (eggs, left to their own free rolling, will have a slight large-end up tilt). We did keep the turning tray in during hatching.
  • Getting an independent temperature probe into the hard plastic grommeted hole requires more force than I'd like. Same challenge when fishing the electrical connection out to disengage the power from the top for cleaning. I am thinking of replacing with a soft rubber grommet.

I probably left out a few things, but I wanted to just share my experience with the IncuView.

Happy hatching,

steve

I have to agree with you there. Seems I had breech hatchers sometimes. That's why I like cutting rings out of something, and propping the eggs up. I have also always rotated the eggs from outside to inside so they all get the slight changes in temp.

Problem with the uneven or inconsistent heating can be corrected by laying a piece of bubblewrap over the incubator. I've always had the problem with the styro incubators. They do not lose heat thru the Styrofoam, but they lose heat thru the window and it makes it really hard to keep even temps.

Since the whole Incuview bator looks like plastic and not Styrofoam, try wrapping the bottom half with bubble wrap and tape , and leaving a piece laying on top. You should see a drastic change in consistency.

Last edited:
Lockdown, lockdown ,lockdown. Over & over again I hear this term. Please explain.
Lock Down Should mean that on day 18 when you stop turning the eggs and increase the moisture----you close the incubator ---It is not reopened till they hatch(all that are going to hatch) usually the end of day 21 or day 22.

The definition of lock-down to some means---they stop turning on day 18 and open the incubator anytime they want and then get upset because most don't hatch or have problems hatching----sure "Some" say opening it at will does not affect them----""Good for them"" alot of hatchers are not that lucky----In my experience in my area---when I first started incubating---I too opened at will after day 18---removing the first hatched chick etc---I had some very, very low hatch %---alot dead in the eggs---never pipped. Now I just open for the first time after day 18 on day 22(unless all are hatched before then) and remove the chicks. My hatch percentage is High---example 122 eggs at lock down----121 hatched. If you try to open "MY" incubator before they all hatch or day 22----I break Your Arm---LOL.

Seriously---even if a chick hatches on day 19 say---it will be fine till day 22 in the incubator---no need to possibly affect the unhatched ones to try and remove it.

I have spent alot of time watching broody hens---if they are undisturbed---they do not get of their nest the last 2/3 days till all the eggs that will hatch are hatched ----- they are in "Lock-down".

Last edited:
Going into my second hatch in the IncuView (many other hatches under my belt with other bators). Anyone else feel the dome lid isn't seating properly? I have moisture coming out around the edges. And when I push down on one side to get it to seat, the other side lifts slightly.

Continuing to watch the reviews and experiences. Thanks to everyone who is posting.
caf.gif

I just set my third batch of eggs. I continuously follow this thread too. I have the older style fan guard and removed the mesh guard they sent me when the chick foot problem happened. I'll try the bowl underneath at hatching time to prevent injury.

My current batch has 12 Mille Fleur Cochin bantams. These are eggs I got from the first batch I hatched so I'll be a grandma.

I have started my hatching project with my 3rd graders at school and will be setting eggs with them in in about 3.5 weeks. This is the main reason I went with the Incuview. I will be setting a mix of shipped and local eggs and LF and bantams. We will discuss how the different variables might affect hatch rate. I plan to document this project in the main hatching forum and will link to it once I start that thread.

@haThor I have not noticed a problem with the seating of the lid. If your Incuview is new you might have a defective unit. Just contact the company and I'm sure they can send you a new lid. The customer service this company has is the best I've seen in a long time.

Just read this whole thread! I've got 2 brinsea mini's to keep me from going overboard incubating/hatching.... so I'm already looking for a bigger bator! What do you do? Have an IncuKit from IW but haven't made much progress with my mini-fridge-to-bator project yet so am looking at pre made ready to go gators. I really appreciate everyone's reviews and hatch data!! I was looking at the Brinsea 20s but the price of the IncuView is so much better for what I want to do. Still need to save up a bit but plan on ordering one this spring and giving it a go!! Very excited, and have to admit, love the big viewing area!

I have the Incuview, although I started with a styrofoam Little Giant. I like the large window on the IV, but it doesn't hold heat nearly as well. I solved this to some extent by wrapping the bottom and sides with a towel. I like the digital display. I LOVE the huge window and the cleanliness of the plastic body. I do NOT like the wires sticking out of the turning mechanism. When I got the IV, one of these wires was broken (poor packaging on Incubator Warehouse). They sent me a replacement turner since I don't know how to solder wire, and I was worried about breaking the same wires trying to install the darn thing!

Back
Top Bottom