Incuview Incubator

Pics
True confessions: I am itching to put my hand in there and take out the broken egg shells. So far, I have resisted temptation. These chicks are falling all over them. The edges look so sharp. Are they?
Don't, the shells will not hurt them. This is your incubator and you can open if you want. I never open mine till day 22 as you probably have read and the reason is in the beginning as soon as I opened the first time to remove the first hatch---I started having problems with the others hatching slower, not hatching, dying after pip, dying before the pip. Once I just left them alone---hands--off, not opening for NO REASON, my hatch rate went way up. Now I either get 100% or almost 100% on Every hatch(eggs at lock down). It might NOT hurt you to open yours all you want---I do not know----I just know it does in my area. Having all the shells in there and the chicks rolling the eggs like bowling has NEVER affected my hatch. Good Luck!

A pic of chicks just being taken out on day 22 in just 1 of 4 trays. The tray cover was removed before the pic was taken. 2 eggs out of 164 did not hatch----almost 99% hatch rate on this hatch. The only way I would open the incubator before day 22 is if ALL the eggs hatched before then.

Last edited:
So, I need some more help please. When the eggs started hatching the humidity rose dramatically inside the incubator. Concurrently, the hydrometer that I have inside the incubator has a probe, and the new chicks, who are not yet dry, keep sitting on the probe, so it's not accurate.

The reading on it is 88%, which, again, I don't think is accurate, but is there any problem with fairly high humidity in the incubator as I await the rest of the hatch? I do know that it is high -- beyond 75%, because there's significantly more condensation on the lid than there was earlier.

With many eggs still unhatched, is there any problem with this high humidity?

Would anyone recommend that I vent it somehow, such as leaving the lid slightly ajar? Or, just let it be?

Last edited:
Would anyone recommend that I vent it somehow, such as leaving the lid slightly ajar? Or, just let it be?
I would suggest you go out to dinner, go shopping, visit family for the next day or two before you do something you might should not do. But, its your incubator and your call!!! I personally would not touch it.

We all get a higher Humidity during the hatch----well some might not----if they open it alot during the hatch!!

Last edited:
So, I need some more help please. When the eggs started hatching the humidity rose dramatically inside the incubator. Concurrently, the hydrometer that I have inside the incubator has a probe, and the new chicks, who are not yet dry, keep sitting on the probe, so it's not accurate.

The reading on it is 88%, which, again, I don't think is accurate, but is there any problem with fairly high humidity in the incubator as I await the rest of the hatch? I do know that it is high -- beyond 75%, because there's significantly more condensation on the lid than there was earlier.

Leave it alone. It's normal for the humidity to rise when there are wet chicks running around in there. Remember that relative humidity is based on surface area, not volume. There is now more wet surface area (the chicks), so the humidity went up.

Last edited:
Leave it alone. It's normal for the humidity to rise when there are wet chicks running around in there. Remember that relative humidity is based on surface area, not volume. There is now more wet surface area (the chicks), so the humidity went up.

Right! I knew the source, just not if the elevated humidity was at all a problem for the remaining eggs. Thanks!

Last edited:

That can actually kill them someone said that they opened the incubator to take out the eggs that hatched and then they never piped or ones that did pip they didn't hatch but who knows I could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom