Incuview Incubator

Pics
I got this incubator based on price and the reviews of the customer service. Three weeks ago I put in 6 green eggs from my Easter Egger and 7 of the big jumbo eggs I get. No idea what hen lays them but love them and want a flock of large brown/colored egg layers. I watched the air cell and were great except on day 18, air cells seemed small. I dropped humidity way down and candled every night. Saturday.. day 20.. I added water and left for work. I came home to 2 hatched. I got all but two hatched that day and through the night. The next day I had one brown and one green still to hatch. They had pipped.. but that was it. Finally they both hatched and there seemed to be an issue with them drying because by now I had the humidity really high.

I have to say I am a bit excited at 100% hatch rate. The clear top was a lot of fun and the incubator did a great job. When the chicks started hatching, the other meter I had in to measure temp and humidity dropped lower than the incubator was showing by a few degrees. Incuview says 99.5 and the meter said 95. I had a aquarium thermometer in there as well and it seemed to be 99. I am going to invest in some good meters for the temp and humidity as I don't know who is off at this time. But overall I am very pleased with the incubator. After these grow out will invest in some Isbars I have had my eye one. Will not expect this kind of success with shipped eggs.. but at least I feel I have a incubator I can count on.

Really interesting! I set eggs in three incubators- the Incuview, a Genesis Hovabator 1588 and my Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance. The Incuview chicks hatched early ... due last Wednesday and I saw pipping the Sunday before. The Hovabator was next and the Brinsea last, which seemed to correspond w/ the hatch date (and even a little late). I never count on anything at my elevation (8600') but interesting that your group seemed to hatch a bit early as well.

BTW, adorable pics!

I have an Incuview too. So far I like it only hatched one batch I had a hard time with humidity too. I'm setting shipped eggs tonight. Upright in cartons though. For at least a couple of days. Then I guess I'll lay them down. I guess that is after all how a hen sits on them. Lol

I just had a hatch in my Incuview, and they were early too. At lockdown I had two pips, and 5 hatched the following day, which was two days early. Then two more pipped but didn't zip, so on day 21 I assisted them out, and they seem to be doing ok. They were glued in pretty good, so I'm glad I didn't just wait for them. But I only got about a 50% hatch rate, because there are still 7 eggs in there that haven't pipped, and today is day 22. So I guess I will give up on those last 7 tomorrow.

This was the first time I used the incuview for the entire process. When I got my Incuview, I had eggs in a DIY one, so I just used the Incuview for lockdown for those. It is definitely nice to have a good view through the top. I plan to start incubating staggered hatches in a mini-fridge-bator and use the Incuview for lockdown only for each week's hatches.

The instructions show a way to set it slightly cooler, so I think that is what I am going to do next time.

I just had a hatch in my Incuview, and they were early too. At lockdown I had two pips, and 5 hatched the following day, which was two days early. Then two more pipped but didn't zip, so on day 21 I assisted them out, and they seem to be doing ok. They were glued in pretty good, so I'm glad I didn't just wait for them. But I only got about a 50% hatch rate, because there are still 7 eggs in there that haven't pipped, and today is day 22. So I guess I will give up on those last 7 tomorrow.

This was the first time I used the incuview for the entire process. When I got my Incuview, I had eggs in a DIY one, so I just used the Incuview for lockdown for those. It is definitely nice to have a good view through the top. I plan to start incubating staggered hatches in a mini-fridge-bator and use the Incuview for lockdown only for each week's hatches.

The instructions show a way to set it slightly cooler, so I think that is what I am going to do next time.
50% hatch rate isn't at all bad for the first time using a specific incubator. My last hatch in my Incuview wasn't too great. I crammed in a lot of eggs which made turning them all a bit difficult. Only half were fertile in the first place.

50% hatch rate isn't at all bad for the first time using a specific incubator. My last hatch in my Incuview wasn't too great. I crammed in a lot of eggs which made turning them all a bit difficult. Only half were fertile in the first place.

Your incubator, my incubator or even a broody hen can not hatch un-fertile eggs, so the un-fertile egg should not be included in the hatch percentage.

Quote: Do you have a photo of all the eggs crammed in? I was wondering if people do that, and I tried to search it, but I couldn't come up with any examples.

Quote: I was thinking the same thing. I had set 29 eggs, but only 14 of them had development. The rest were just clear, so I didn't count them. Then I only got 7 chicks from the 14.

I know that, out of the 18 that were fertile, only 9 hatched. I did things a bit differently, and it just didn't work out well. Live and learn.
Can you tell us what things you did differently that didn't work?

Also, would any of you be willing to take a look at my mini fridge project and let me know what you think of it? I keep thinking I might be overlooking something. (My poor thread only got 16 views and no replies.
tongue.png
)

I set them in cartons that were propped so that they were tilted with one side a bit higher. But turning all of them was a bit of a pain, and it was too easy to over-rotate and under-rotate them each turn. Plus the surface area of all the cartons made getting an accurate humidity reading was almost impossible. The humidity was all over the place until it was clear which were the infertile ones and they were removed. Once there was enough room to put them in the turner, set normally, the humidity was fine. I did have a few that pipped at the wrong end, indicating they had trouble getting into the proper hatch position. Probably because of the of my outstanding egg turning skills.
wink.png
Oh well, lesson learned. Pay better attention to which side is facing, and log it.

Back
Top Bottom