Incuview Incubator

Pics
I set 18 Ancona duck eggs in my Incuview on June 8. This is the first time I have tried incubating. One of my ducks hatched out a dozen last summer, but I want to be able tosell ducklings, so started the Incuview. So far the temperature is holding steady at 99.5 but I am concerned that the humidity is running too high. I put only about a forth cup water in the outside tray and the hydrometer is registering as high as 77% except if I open the lid for some reason. Can anyone give me a list of all the abbreviations used in the control module? I don't know if there is any way to adjust the humidity. We are having rainy, wet, cool weather up here in northwest Washington State, so I wonder if that is part of the problem. Some on the duck forum talk about incubating at like 35% humidity, so I feel really concerned that I may be spoiling this hatch with these high humidities. Any help or thoughts will be so appreciated.
First of all, don't trust the hydrometer that is built into the lid. Secondly, you should fill the inner reservoir first, then add water to the larger ones if more is needed. Relative humidity is measured by surface area, not volume. It's not about how much water you put in, it's about how spread out that water is. Use a sponge or towel and try to soak up as much water as possible. Then, fill only the smallest, inner reservoir. Wait 2 hours for it to stabilize. Then add more if needed.

Thank you junebuggena.
I did add a small hydrometer which is showing roughly the same area as the built-in one. Thanks for the info on filling the smallest reservoir first. That makes sense. I had no idea how to bring the humidity down. I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks so much.

Thank you junebuggena.
I did add a small hydrometer which is showing roughly the same area as the built-in one. Thanks for the info on filling the smallest reservoir first. That makes sense. I had no idea how to bring the humidity down. I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks so much.
HyGrometers are easily tested for accuracy.

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a large sealed plastic bag.
After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%... note any differences and you're set.

HyGrometers are easily tested for accuracy.

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a large sealed plastic bag.
After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%... note any differences and you're set.

Thanks, aart, for the link on calibrating. I got the humidity down by lifting the turner with the eggs, rinsing the bottom and drying it thoroughly before I had to leave for town this morning. Now the hydrometer is reading around 28% and the gauge is sitting on the edge of the add water/incubating.I think the eggs are much better off now. I sure have a lot to learn and appreciate your quick reply

We just received our incuview in the mail the other day and I currently have it set up for testing before we set next week.

I am curious what the little plug on the top is for. Vent? hole to add water? idk?

also on the main screen it reads the temp and HTR below that with a %.... what is that?

Im sure i have more questions but cant think of them right now.

We just received our incuview in the mail the other day and I currently have it set up for testing before we set next week.

I am curious what the little plug on the top is for. Vent? hole to add water? idk?

also on the main screen it reads the temp and HTR below that with a %.... what is that?

Im sure i have more questions but cant think of them right now.

The HTR % is the percentage of heat needed to bring it to the right temp. So if it needs to warm up heater could be on full 100%, as it reaches temp it backs of wtvr amount it needs to to keep it from overheating. It's a great system as it bounces back quickly after lifting lid. It's called a proportional thermostat.
The vent plug is for humidity control. I always run mine without to allow better airflow. Good luck!

The HTR % is the percentage of heat needed to bring it to the right temp. So if it needs to warm up heater could be on full 100%, as it reaches temp it backs of wtvr amount it needs to to keep it from overheating. It's a great system as it bounces back quickly after lifting lid. It's called a proportional thermostat.
The vent plug is for humidity control. I always run mine without to allow better airflow. Good luck!
Perfect, thanks!

I also wondered about that HTR%. I wish there were a list somewhere for all the abbreviations in the controls. I just finished a first hatch. It was not a complete success but we have 11 strong, healthy Ancona ducklings out of the 18 set. I had problems at the beginning getting the temp and humidity correct, but finally got it better. I used that little plug as a way to add water during the lock down period. There is so much to learn about hatching! A lot of the ducklings pipped at the wrong end but still managed to get out. Any one have any idea what caused this?

Were they shipped eggs? I've had that issue with shipped chicken eggs as the air cells can be all messed up. Not sure what else causes hatching at wrong end.

Back
Top Bottom