Incuview Incubator

That's a perfect and easy solution. I've been considering how much I don't want to put a hole in that lid. But i know me, pretty sure I'll fumble it sooner or later.
No...too easy to mess up putting holes in plastic.

I'd put the tape handle it a bit farther to the right to balance weight of lid and equipment. It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

Basting needle worked OK, much better than just the tube, thanks @Ruralhideaway !

No...too easy to mess up putting holes in plastic.

I'd put the tape handle it a bit farther to the right to balance weight of lid and equipment. It's not perfect, but better than nothing.

Basting needle worked OK, much better than just the tube, thanks @Ruralhideaway !
Awesome! I'm digging for aquarium tubing and my basting kit, always disappears after thanksgiving... somewhere. Wherever the packing tape went I suppose.

Anyone else have trouble adding water thru mesh?
I use this siphon bottle(shown below) thru the vent hole,
tubing goes right down to mesh surface.
The water seems to want to cling to the plastic mesh, and pool on top of mesh, instead of going thru mesh to the reservoir, thus getting some of eggs wet.
Wishes the mesh holes were bit larger.

View attachment 1288117
Something you could consider is to use a sponge for water, sitting right on the mesh. I have a squeeze bottle and tubing similar to yours. I just squeeze water onto the sponge, and the excess drips down through the mesh into the reservoir. But I find that the sponge itself holds enough water, and I don't even use the reservoirs.

Of course, the sponge takes up valuable real estate, so if you need to put in maximum eggs, then you are back to needing the reservoirs.

On the mesh hole size, larger holes could possibly snag chick toes? I have gotten plastic cross stitch material from the craft store to replace my mesh when it got extra dirty. They carry a size that is almost perfect, but slightly on the small size. If you push it all the way to one side, you could probably make a small gap that the tube could fit through. Well, and chick toes too I suppose. There's always something. :rolleyes:

@Finnie, Thanks.
Yes, have used sponges during lock down, they do take up space.
With the Incuview type turner, a sponge might jam it up before day 18.
Plus it's pretty packed with eggs, don't think a wet sponge should touch eggs?

Surface area is the key to humidification, why the reservoirs work best.
I used to spread a paper towel over and into reservoirs under the mesh to increase surface area and thus humidity in the foamies. My house is dry!

Foamy bators have 1/4" mesh, never had toe problems.
Thought of enlarging a hole over each section,
but don't want to try that in the middle of an incubation.

Will get some #5 plastic mesh(~1/4") to replace what came with bator,
and to fashion some dividers for lock down on next hatch as I have several crosses I want to keep separate.

For now the baster needle is helping.

I'm using a straw that I fed through a large syringe, with the tip slit and taped, and there's still pooling. Gotta find the baster set. I feel like my humidity is just a smidge high so I'm tempted to remove water. Likely I should leave it alone.

Otherwise the incuview is running great. I'm not getting the slightly high temp results so many do. Unless all other therms are also.

I'm still having some pooling with baster needle...
.....due to surface tension of small holes in mesh.
I wonder. Would a small thin sponge piece under the mesh eliminate that surface tension? Say it was just below the mesh so you had to push down slightly while applying water, then the wet sponge couldn't contact the eggs?

I wonder. Would a small thin sponge piece under the mesh eliminate that surface tension? Say it was just below the mesh so you had to push down slightly while applying water, then the wet sponge couldn't contact the eggs?
I don't think that would work, the surface tension begins on the top of the mesh.
Wonders if a large gauge injection needle would work...like 14ga(0.075" dia)..tho have no clue how where to get one.

I don't think that would work, the surface tension begins on the top of the mesh.
Wonders if a large gauge injection needle would work...like 14ga(0.075" dia)..tho have no clue how where to get one.
Possibly in my horse med supplies, gotta check to see what I have. Thing is A. Depression on state good luck and B. Things come out of those under pressure, likely to hit and splash.

E-Cigarette supplies. They sell wide bore blunt needles.

Back
Top Bottom