Indian Game x Welsummer chicks

LDev

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2013
Scotland
Has anyone here crossed a pure breed Indian Game cockerel (Also known as Cornish Game) with a Welsummer? Two of the chicks I hatched from a breeder were cross breeds (from pure parents) and I have no idea how to sex this pair as can find no pics anywhere and the breeder is ‘technically challenged‘ so is struggling to download pics. They were both chipmunk colouring but one VERY dark and one more reddish but both with very defined markings and eyeliner. Chick 1 = almost black
Chick 2 = dark reddish brown
As Indian Game have pea combs and Welsummer sport a large comb I don’t know if I can rely on that as neither has a distinct comb forming (my pure Welsummer chick hatched the day before is a very obvious cockerel) I will try and get pics but apart from the colour difference they are both the same size, no obvious male characteristics. 3 weeks old yesterday

Attachments

• 741AE35B-BA99-4672-98FB-D50AB3B26E6E.jpeg
    741AE35B-BA99-4672-98FB-D50AB3B26E6E.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 55
  • A114F1AC-F882-4CCF-8083-FA5B37584C34.jpeg
    A114F1AC-F882-4CCF-8083-FA5B37584C34.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 346EDCF6-7E44-4253-B95D-B565CC751809.jpeg
    346EDCF6-7E44-4253-B95D-B565CC751809.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 13
  • EE9E7BAE-A805-41F7-82D6-6729BF002C0A.jpeg
    EE9E7BAE-A805-41F7-82D6-6729BF002C0A.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 13
  • FD5C9BB6-69F3-493B-BE8B-F23BAAD19FA4.jpeg
    FD5C9BB6-69F3-493B-BE8B-F23BAAD19FA4.jpeg
    749.2 KB · Views: 11
  • ABD5F136-C39D-4FBA-A001-C4CCE648F2A7.jpeg
    ABD5F136-C39D-4FBA-A001-C4CCE648F2A7.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Has anyone here crossed a pure breed Indian Game cockerel (Also known as Cornish Game) with a Welsummer? Two of the chicks I hatched from a breeder were cross breeds (from pure parents) and I have no idea how to sex this pair as can find no pics anywhere and the breeder is ‘technically challenged‘ so is struggling to download pics. They were both chipmunk colouring but one VERY dark and one more reddish but both with very defined markings and eyeliner. Chick 1 = almost black
Chick 2 = dark reddish brown
As Indian Game have pea combs and Welsummer sport a large comb I don’t know if I can rely on that as neither has a distinct comb forming (my pure Welsummer chick hatched the day before is a very obvious cockerel) I will try and get pics but apart from the colour difference they are both the same size, no obvious male characteristics. 3 weeks old yesterday
What color is the cockerel? The red chick looks more masculine.

She was a bit vague but from what I can gather it’s a Dark Game, I thought the same but the characters are the opposite, the little reddish one is definitely more timid but from what I have read, even the game hens are quite feisty so that could mean nothing for the darker one being more confident.
I was hoping they would be more obvious but it look like I have 2 breeds of guessing lol! I got 3 Lavender Araucanas (UK standard) from the hatch and 2 of these crosses so am going to be waiting and feeding them all until I know I can definitely give the boys away! I have homes for them but I wanted to keep the girls to top up my own flock....looking like I will have to feed them all for several more weeks (the Welsummer boy excluded)

What color is the cockerel? The red chick looks more masculine.
Ps am hoping you’re right though as the little dark one, was a struggler from hatch....hatched the wrong end and took an agonising full 24hours to hatch ....18 of those doing nothing but making a pip hole so I thought it was going to be an intervention or loss ..thankfully it was a tough wee cookie and persisted. Was the last to hatch

She was a bit vague but from what I can gather it’s a Dark Game, I thought the same but the characters are the opposite, the little reddish one is definitely more timid but from what I have read, even the game hens are quite feisty so that could mean nothing for the darker one being more confident.
I was hoping they would be more obvious but it look like I have 2 breeds of guessing lol! I got 3 Lavender Araucanas (UK standard) from the hatch and 2 of these crosses so am going to be waiting and feeding them all until I know I can definitely give the boys away! I have homes for them but I wanted to keep the girls to top up my own flock....looking like I will have to feed them all for several more weeks (the Welsummer boy excluded)
So, dark colored? Then the dark chick is your girl.

So, dark colored? Then the dark chick is your girl.
Oooh fingers crossed because *ssshhh* that’s my favourite and I never name anything unless I can keep it but I have already said a name out loud *in my head...and scolded myself because I have zero idea if I can keep it 😂

Oooh fingers crossed because *ssshhh* that’s my favourite and I never name anything unless I can keep it but I have already said a name out loud *in my head...and scolded myself because I have zero idea if I can keep it 😂
Ha! It’s very cute.

Any updates? @LDev
Not yet, I definitely have two cockerels (one Welsummer and one obvious Lavender Araucana purely by cockerel behaviour) but both Indian game crosses are a mystery thus far...neither are ‘pinking up’ and the combs are still insignificant, no cockerel behaviour. The wait is torture 😂

Not yet, I definitely have two cockerels (one Welsummer and one obvious Lavender Araucana purely by cockerel behaviour) but both Indian game crosses are a mystery thus far...neither are ‘pinking up’ and the combs are still insignificant, no cockerel behaviour. The wait is torture 😂
Lol. Pics? Maybe I can help.

Back
Top Bottom